Motion Sickness Meds/Other recommendations

opuscat1

Hi there,

We have a few stories on the site about preventing motion sickness. Hope you find them helpful!

Avoiding Seasickness

Dramamine vs. Bonine

What to Expect: Getting Sick on a Cruise

Happy Cruising!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor

My darling and I are on the Reflection in April and this will be her first cruise. I've been on a few with my first one returning from Bermuda to New York in a nice Hurricane blowing up the coast. It was like a youtube video you see with glasses crashing from overhead the bars and even the crew was sick. Ironically that didn't bother me ... it's the very slow movements of mild seas that sometimes gets to me after a few days.

So anyway ... I see some ideas in other threads but thought I'd start one with only others recommendations from patches to meds to bands. What do you use and did it make you sleepy etc, other side affects?

I had some success with bands but I'll need a bigger size. My daughter on the last one noticed my right hand was swelling up about 25% larger than my left it was cutting off circulation LOL and I didn't even notice. Gravol like meds put me right to sleep I can't even function. Great for bed time I suppose.

I'd be curious to know what happened with her asthma? I have asthma and have never noticed a difference when I take the Meclizine. Perhaps it is because we take so little of it, now. Like a sailor, once your body has had experience with the motion, they don't have trouble with seasickness and no need to take anything. My Dad was in the Navy during WWII. He told us about his early days of being seasick and then it subsided. Years later, he got back on the ships to cruise. He never once had to take anything for sea sickness in all our years of travel together. Of course the new luxury liners were superb in stabilization compared to his Naval vessels. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Has anyone mentioned that if you go to Guest Services, they will give you bonine (or generic equivalent) pills...free.

Please don't over worry about sea sickness....many, if not most, of the folks who feel queezy on cruises get that way because they are worried about getting sea sick...not because they actually are. Some spend all day saying to themselves every minute or two "am I getting seasick". It really is mind over reality. Yes, of course there are some who really do have inner ear issues and they have to medicate. For the rest of us, just keeping your mind off being sea sick is enough to keep you from getting sea sick. Thus, the wrist bands and similar. If you believe they will stop you from getting seasick...you will stop worrying yourself to the point where you actually do get seasick.

Yes, I have been terribly seasick, but never on a cruise ship, even in 28' seas. Now put me on a fishing boat with fish smells and some rough water and I can as sick as the next guy...but not on a cruise ship.

Yes, I have been terribly seasick, but never on a cruise ship, even in 28' seas. Now put me on a fishing boat with fish smells and some rough water and I can as sick as the next guy...but not on a cruise ship.

A fishing boat is a cork in the water compared to a 2,000+ passenger cruise ship. Of course the fishing boat will move more (in every direction).

For years, I have used the Relief Band. Reliefband.com. Before I knew about this, I was violently seasick on a cruise and ended up in the infirmary. So far, It has worked well for me, once even thru hurricane waters. When I purchased mine many years ago, I was able to get it at CVS. Do not know whether they still carry it.

First time I felt it was off the coast of Norway. Luckily the beer wasn't taxed and we imbibed freely (students, you know).

Other times, while scubadiving I could feel the seas during our rest stops between dives. Learned a valuable lesson. don't drink coffee or orange juice before going on small boats. The acid makes it a lot worse.

Now I just use Bonine and don't have a problem. But we've been very lucky and haven't really experienced any rough seas while cruising.

Melissa

I've always used ginger - you can either bring a small baggie of the asian ginger you can buy in jars, or better yet I guy the ginger chewy candy from World Market. It works great and comes individually wrapped so it's easy to toss in your beach bag for those Catamaran days.

I've always used ginger - you can either bring a small baggie of the asian ginger you can buy in jars, or better yet I guy the ginger chewy candy from World Market. It works great and comes individually wrapped so it's easy to toss in your beach bag for those Catamaran days.

81BMCMaZWAL._SY355_.jpg

blackmores-travel-calm-ginger-45t__75697.1410858925.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

NWY-13108-6.jpg

Thanks everyone for all these suggestions and links it's nice to know we're a friendly bunch eh :)

I think I'll pack a few ginger pills in any event, maybe a little Bonine. I wasn't bad on my last cruise I think I felt a little iffy a coupla nights but we also had the flu the week before boarding. I find as I get older though I've had some vertigo caused by sinus issues now and again which is always fun. I'm more concerned about my wife she's never been on a cruise and I just want to be prepared for her. Nice to know they have some pills at guest relations too.

I have used the scopolamine patch in the past and didn't like the side effects. I always carry ginger root capsules and gin-gin hard candies with me whenever I will be in a car on winding roads, flying, or am on a cruise. Works well for me.

Just a word of warning about the seasick patch...i used it during my first cruise. I lost my short-term memory, was disoriented and said things that someone would say when they were drunk/high! Could not figure out what was wrong with me, and remembered the only thing I had done differently was put on the patch. I immediately took it off and right away I was back to normal. On the other hand, DH uses it with no problem. It's difficult to know if you're going to have a strange reaction until you use it. I will NEVER use it again. Bonine works great for me, and if the seas are really rocking, I also wear the sea bands and suck on ginger candy.

Has anyone mentioned that if you go to Guest Services, they will give you bonine (or generic equivalent) pills...free.

Please don't over worry about sea sickness....many, if not most, of the folks who feel queezy on cruises get that way because they are worried about getting sea sick...not because they actually are. Some spend all day saying to themselves every minute or two "am I getting seasick". It really is mind over reality. Yes, of course there are some who really do have inner ear issues and they have to medicate. For the rest of us, just keeping your mind off being sea sick is enough to keep you from getting sea sick. Thus, the wrist bands and similar. If you believe they will stop you from getting seasick...you will stop worrying yourself to the point where you actually do get seasick.

I agree. Our friend had this issue. He was full of anxiety but calmed down by the 3rd day. Then he would finally enjoy a cocktail since he was afraid of mixing with what the Guest Services desk gave him.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I have been using the patch for years. While some cruises the sea is like glass (the Eastern Med, and most of our Baltic Cruise) others can be quite rocky. I have never had any side effects with the patch.

So, I guess you'll have to try it to see.

You do have to get a prescription from your Dr. and some insurance will cover and others won't. If your insurance won't cover, it is a bit pricey.

I think I might get seasick in those seas :)

BTW....Trader Joe's sells ginger mints (usually right by the registers). Great to take along just in case...and if you don't need them for sea sickness, they're pretty good as just mints.

I have tried many different med over 15 cruises. Too many side affects from patch, I can't eat or drink anything ginger anymore from using it the taste is nasty and gave me a big headache after a couple days. Meclizine works great, get it cheap over the counter or on amazon, take one pill each night before bed, no side affects at all.

I have experienced seasickness and it was horrible so I won't take a chance and try without anything.

Bev

Hello,

2 cruisers in our group both recommend the patch (never leave Canada without it!) and we purchase Bonine in Florida before we leave.

Good luck

Cathy

I get deathly ill on cruises, so for the first time last year I did the patch and it worked wonders, was never sea sick, so going to the Caribbean in a few weeks (Princess) and going to get the patches again just in case. The cheapest place here in B.C. Canada is Costco for them.

Marlster

I have a local compounding pharmacist make up some Bonine for me. Doesn't put me to sleep like gravol.

Does Celebrity not supply bonine free? Other cruiselines I have been on you just go to customer service desk and ask for them.

Marlster

Like Celebrity Cruises said, stop by guest service for the FREE motion sickness pills. If you go to the doctor as she also suggested, you'll get a hefty bill.

My DW's father in WWII Navy sucked orange quarters to combat sea sickness. It was the sucking that helped relieve the symptoms due to the sucking action. That's why many say lemons work.

A lot of web sites recommend green apples. Aqua Class gets three green apples in their cabins so become besties with someone in an AQ and get one of those apples they won't eat anyway. :D

The combination of Bonnie and DW's asthma meds created heart palpatations to the point the ships nurse was concerned that she was having a heart attack. She was not. Side note here, DW does not have a thyroid so she also takes Synthroid so that makes the whole game a bit trickier. Once we got home and talked out her pulminologist who is also a family friend he confirmed that Bonnie and her meds were not a good idea. Pseudo science or not, Sea Bands work well for her and that is all that matters for us.

Really, really, really disagree strongly with your statements. It is not 'mind over reality' - it is a physical condition. In fact, it is a recognized medical condition and research proves that in the right conditions most anyone can get motion sick. I DO agree that worrying about it can make it worse, but there is no way in heck you can not worry yourself out of it if you are prone to it and the seas are rocky - I wish!

I am a perfect example. In my earlier years, I got seasick very easily and always had to take medication on my cruises. As I have aged (and perhaps because I have cruised more frequently through the years) I find it affects me less. And how much I 'worry' about it has not changed through the years. I think the increased stability of the larger ships helps as well. It is bad enough to experience seasickness - one of the most awful feelings in the world. But having people tell you it is most likely all in your mind is insulting in the least. You are welcome to your opinion, but it is just that. Medical research says otherwise.

And to address suggestions in other posts - be sure to check with your doctor before taking ginger if you have any medical conditions related to circulation or blood clotting. Ginger has blood thinning qualities.

I didn't get nauseated, but I did get dizzy from the motion during sea days on my last cruise. Guest services gave me some pills for free, and for the life of me I can't remember what the name of them were. They weren't chewable, small and easy to take with water.

Anyone have any guesses of what it was? I am planning to carry some Dramamine and would like to find that med as well to have handy, since I've been told dizziness is just another manifestation of seasickness.