Coral princess cruise Cruise from Hell

1MKS1128

Sounds like Princess didn't live up to their promise of coming back new. I would be upset too if my vacation were lessened by what the OP described. We go with a good attitude and then it's up to the cruise to keep that positive. For some people it seems the cruise line cannot do anything wrong.

Edited by cruzsnooze

It helps when people accurately reflect what happened. Didn't someone else on this cruise post that the last port was cancelled due to weather? That's hardly Princess's fault.

Though it seems like Princess needs to give more time for drydock work, what with the problems they've had on cruises after drydocks recently.

We were in a very comfortable mini suite. However water was luke warm at best--- we just made the most of it, put up with the lack of hot water--

Food was excellent. I should say that 7 years ago we were on the Sapphire for Alaska cruise- I lost 5 pounds, food was THAT bad. But scenery was great, crew was wonderful. I had been hesitant to book another Princess cruise since,

but was on the Royal- hated the ship, excellent food- I was prepared to lose weight again! Still made the most of it. Entertainment excellent.

Coral-- to sum up- loved the ship itself, crew not very pleasant, food excellent, dining room a pain in the neck for 2 persons anytime dining, which I explained in my review. Indoor Lotus pool- fine for families, not good for adults- (baby in diapers)- snotty indifferent crew--- On the Sapphire with the horrible food on the sailing I was on, the Lotus Pool was a wonderful ADULTS Only experience. Still, we booked the Coral for the one day at Panama Canal, and we did what we wanted at the other ports. In spite of the annoyances (which were plenty) we still had a good time.

I was on the same ship and same time frame as the OP, but I cannot say we were on the same cruise. Cruise from hell ….. really?

DH and I along with many others around us enjoyed some very good tasting food provided by some of the best servers we’ve ever had; the entertainment was delightful (especially the singers and dancers), and most days, the weather was great. I came home with a nice tan and weighing 3 more pounds.

Yes, there were both mechanical and engineering issues, but all was in good working order by the morning of the last sea day. The captain kept us posted and reassured of our safety. The crew worked so very hard to ensure that our needs were met as quickly as possible. Yes, there were short periods of time the commodes did not flush and there were times we had only tepid (not hot) water. The engineering/mechanical issues did force us to move much slower, thus arriving late to Cozumel, and missing Roatan all together. We made Costa Maya, but due to high winds (30 knots), were unable to dock, as did 2 other cruise ships scheduled that day.

But to top it all off, we were then very nicely compensated for any of the inconveniences.

And in case anyone wonders, I have been on one prior cruise I would almost label the cruise from hell, and it involved several days of 26 foot swells, with over half the crew and passengers extremely sick.

I am reminded of a TV episode where a man has died and has not yet determined if he has gone to heaven or hell. After the opening of several doors, he is finally placed in a room with another couple who are watching their vacation slides…over and over. Yeah, you got it: their heaven, his hell.

I will not hesitate to cruise with Princess or on the Coral again. And those of you that have her booked- I am certain the crew will take very good care of you.

PS: And if you find something unsightly in your cabin, just ask the steward to remove/replace/clean it and please, MOVE ON.

Great post, Stokeset! We were also on the same cruise and enjoyed ourselves immensely despite what we felt were some minor inconveniences, which to some extent I expected booking a ship just out of dry dock. And now I can't wait to start looking at cruises to use our future credit on!

When I take the credits into consideration (onboard, future cruise and refund of port taxes) and net it all out, this was a very inexpensive vacation. We had a fabulous time in Cozumel and four excellent sunny, warm sea days with great food, service, entertainment and the company of our wonderful friends. Life doesn't get much better than that!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

They have 19 days to get it right. I am going to be optimistic, yet keep in mind Murphy's Law. We have been on Princess before. It is hard to believe they screwed up that bad on that recent cruise. Nothing ever is perfect and problems are to be expected, but that cruise was a major screw-up.

Fortunately those poor people who put up a lot of money are being compensated. There are some that think you should just sit back and take it as some kind of life experience, but if it were not for those who demand what they paid for, most likely there would be no compensation.

I have never complained about a cruise before and we have enjoyed every one we have been on. (We have only been on 5 not counting 3 MSTS cruises.) Maybe we were just lucky. I demand what they promise; nothing more and nothing less.

We love princess and they DID screw up that bad. The attitude the OP used may have been very negative but the facts remain. A growing puddle in our closet that smelled like mold that had to be reported 4 times ..until we just gave up. I could have reported it 20. It took 3 days for them to come shop vac it. Our hallway outside of room was flooded and smelled like it had been for 6 days or more. Puddles formed in the carpet when you stepped on it. The smell was horrendous. Took 4 days to get a blower on it. Probably because I met a woman who had an entirely flooded living area in her mini suite on deck 10 and the blower was in there until she got moved after 2 days.

The public bathrooms not flushing was getting very scary to me. Our room flushed, our water was luke warm but I didn't complain. The suite next to us had NO water in anything on our first day. Not sure when that got fixed.

Food was excellent, staff was ok , not what we are used to, but there were some shining stars! MUTS screen didn't work for days and there were lots of issues with small things that no one had complained about.

As for saying those who spent a lot of money were compensated...that's debatable. That compensation was off a future cruise. Personally I will take it and I'm going to use it for Alaska land and sea next year! But if this was a once in a lifetime thing and I was on a very limited budget then future cruise credit is pointless. It's just words. People seem to get the impression we got 50% of our fare BACK. Airfare, hotels , etc. Those are all things some people won't be able to afford again even with a 50% off.

but all was in good working order by the morning of the last sea day.

But to top it all off, we were then very nicely compensated for any of the inconveniences.

What? You have got to be kidding me. Was waterboarding part of the compensation?

If you really want to see what a "cruise from hell" is like, head over to the Royal Caribbean board and read the threads about the Anthem of the Seas, then tell me which cruise you'd prefer. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wasn't that all weather related? In that case is was not due to lack of good service or a run down condition or a sloppy crew, unless of course, they knew what they were going into.

Nevertheless, it would be a "cruise from hell."

If you really want to see what a "cruise from hell" is like, head over to the Royal Caribbean board and read the threads about the Anthem of the Seas, then tell me which cruise you'd prefer. :rolleyes:

I was going to say that!!! I (maybe??) am boarding Anthem on Saturday, likely dependent on how much damage has been sustained. Following their horrible experiences makes you wonder about what other people entitle "the cruise from hell". And surprisingly, many of them have handled it quite gracefully.

My husband and I owned a 50 ft sailboat for about 15 years . Our children were trained in emergency procedures. My husband was an instructor for the Coast Guard Aux for over 15 years. In our cruising history we experienced many hair raising experiences in our cruising escapades down the East Coast and the Caribbean. Now You tell me the difference between experiencing the same conditions in a 50 ft boat. FYI there is a BIG difference between a 50 ft boat and a Cruise Ship. There is a saying that Sailing is fear between episodes of sheer terrier. We survived Hurricane Bob and several others

Now You tell me the difference between experiencing the same conditions in a 50 ft boat. FYI there is a BIG difference between a 50 ft boat and a Cruise Ship. There is a saying that Sailing is fear between episodes of sheer terrier. We survived Hurricane Bob and several others

Absolutely, positively a whole different ball game. Really, you cannot compare sailing and cruising.