Why do you cruise to the same places?

pbnjrockette

Some like the Ports, some like to cruise. Some have limited choices, if you can't fly or st n a car for hours you are limited.

Personally I'd often be happy to just sail around in circles for a few weeks.

I thought I would be happy just to sail but became bored when we did a transatlantic. A couple of days is fine for me but I was getting stir crazy by the time we arrived in New York:D

I don't have to cook, clean or scoop cat litter! So far only 2 ocean cruises, third next week. Going on the Constellation gain as I loved it the first time. Taking it again next year for W Med. mostly go for the ports. Enjoy river cruising too

Like to unpack once.

We did a river cruise in Europe, it was great. St. Petersburg was my favourite place. Have thought about the Mississippi ones.

Agree about the unpacking. Hate living out of a suitcase.

In our case, we do 2 kinds of cruising:

1. To go to different ports and experience the ports - in this case the ship is just a floating hotel. We do this type of cruising in the Med, Alaska and southern Caribbean. We do completely different tours each time so even though it is the same port, we are having completely different experiences.

2. To experience the ship - usually this is for Mega Ships and usually Mega Ships do the same ports but the entire point of these cruises is to enjoy the ship, not the ports, so we don't care what ports these ships are going to.

This is exactly how we cruise. Have done the Med and the Baltics multiple times and it was all about the ports. After 10 TA's and several Europe cruises we have been to many of the ports several times but each time there we find something new to do and see. Never bored. For example we have been to Venice and Santorini, both on cruises and land vacations multiple times and I would go back to both in a heartbeat. In the Caribbean we cruise mostly for the ship and the down time. Not too many of the ports excite us as we have

explored most of them both on our own and on tours. Now we mostly either go to a beach or stay on board and enjoy the the ship. (Except when in St Maarten that's still a favorite port and we usually spend the day in town). That's what makes cruising so appealing to us.....we can do our vacation anyway we want. No requirements. No expectations.

I find that cruising can be a form of forced relaxation. I find that if I am relaxing at home I start thinking I things I need to do. On a cruise ship there are less things I "have" to do. Sitting on the deck reading a book or gazing at the ocean is not something I can do living in the desert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I choose a vacation for one of 2 reasons: either I want to visit other lands or I just want to relax. I still do some land vacations, but love combining sightseeing with the pleasure of the ship so I mostly cruise right now.

When I want to see other countries, I choose a port intensive cruise. I often come home exhausted, but very enriched. When I want to relax, I choose cruises with lots of sea days and/or islands where I just lay on a beach.

Either one give me great memories but I never just visit the same place over and over - there's just too much world left to see! ;)

We started doing a couple of Caribbean cruises a year. Over the years we've racked up larger numbers. Either more cruises or longer ones or B2B ones. We drive to the ports in Florida from Georgia so we can bring our snorkel equipment. The island may be the same but the underwater experiences are always different.

But even if we didn't snorkel and even if we didn't get off the ship at all (and we've done that!) watching the ocean never, ever gets old. It is not the same thing as sitting on a beach and watching the waves. Its the spray against the bow and sides. Its the aft wake. Its watching the unmooring of the lines. The disembarkation of the pilot to the boat.

My kids are littler (under 10) and we live in Tx. I dont want to pay airfare for them to go somewhere else, and caribbean is about all you get leaving out of Tx/NOLA.

As they get older, we will diversify - europe, alaska, south america, australia, asia, etc. but not yet. I just want the rest. And honestly? I like being on the ship. The beach is nice, and i dont really care what country it's in. so...cozumel, belize, honduras? Sure! We'll stay on the ship in belize and go to the beach on the other days.

Good enough.

My dh hates to fly so we usually stick to our home port ( Baltimore, Maryland) or close to it. That being said, we only have 1 or if we are lucky , 2 ships leaving year round. They only change the ships and itinerary every 3 years or so and even when they do it isn't much of a change! So we do tend to do a lot of the same ports..... Honestly, I'm just happy to go!

I'm asking this question seriously and in no way am trying to be rude. Just curious as to why some folks continue to sail the same cruise or go to the same places so many times? (We do have some friends who have sailed at least 30 times on the same cruise line to the Caribbean but they refuse to do anything "different")

I think of the lyrics to MoonRiver "Two drifters, off to see the world There's such a lot of world to see" and no that there are just so many places to see... so little time!

I personally think you can make it as different or as similar as you want. It's all about what you do in the ports and also what ship you go on and the activities you do on the ship. Every cruise is entirely different for us.

I'm asking this question seriously and in no way am trying to be rude. Just curious as to why some folks continue to sail the same cruise or go to the same places so many times? (We do have some friends who have sailed at least 30 times on the same cruise line to the Caribbean but they refuse to do anything "different")

I think of the lyrics to MoonRiver "Two drifters, off to see the world There's such a lot of world to see" and no that there are just so many places to see... so little time!

pbnjrockette (i want to know what that stands for):confused:

You are such a romantic and this world needs more like you!

We cruise the Caribbean almost every year, although not always the same itinerary or ship. We've visited some islands many times.

The reason for this: #1--weather. We cruise the Caribbean in winter to escape from the cold here in Nebr.

#2--ease and cost. We usually cruise in early Dec., which has great sales and it is much easier/cheaper to fly to Miami than, say, Southeast Asia.

We don't care that much which ship or line. I'd probably only cruise because of the ship to either try out one of the mega-ships or if we had grandkids with us; then we'd choose a ship with lots of kid and teen activities.

We did notice on our cruise this last December that it was getting harder to find things to do on some of the islands and it all seemed a little too familiar.

We love cruising to more exotic locations and have done several TA's, a Med cruise and South America. Cost and length of flights make other destinations

harder for us to do.

Why Not cruise to same places?

We sailed so many times in the Caribbean and Canada/NE because we love it.

No need for us to explain ourselves. We have done a huge amount of land and sea travel, a great many resort stays, city travel and lots of touring trip after trip in Europe.

We loved Scottsdale and visited there a number of times. If we like it, why not go back?

We've just booked our 6th cruise to Tasmania.

We love Tas.

Wife does a bit of work while at Port Arthur.

It's only a week so easier to fit in.

Sure we do others, but basically every 2nd cruise ends up back to Tassie.

pbnjrockette (i want to know what that stands for):confused:

You are such a romantic and this world needs more like you!

Peanut Butter n Jelly (my initials and NJ---the state I live in)

I think 4 letters were too short when I joined so I added the rockette (must have been around the time I was visiting NY!) LOL

romantic?

We take a Caribbean cruise every winter and have for the past 30 or so years. It's 80 degrees, the sun's out and it's a LOT less expensive than flying somewhere and staying for 10 days! As we go for the warm weather and sunshine, sometimes we don't get off in the ports. The ship itself is the destination and with meals, entertainment and ship's amenities, we find it a great bargain compared to some other winter get aways.

• 2 weeks later...

We started cruising later in life (after our kids were grown and gone). We are still limited to a certain amount of time per cruise due to my job. but have several opportunities during the year to cruise. We like to do different itineraries a couple of times a year, but we also enjoy jumping on a short Western Caribbean cruise for a quick get away. We have been numerous times but always have fun. We are driving distance to Galveston and can get away and just enjoy the ship and being at sea for a few days. Plus certain times of the year they are relatively cheap and this gives us more days on the sea and on the beaches. We have plans for different lines and different ports in the near future, but if my wife says, "I have found a sale on some cabins", then I am packing the sea bag!

We're cruising the same itinerary in April that we did on our first cruise. We didn't choose the cruise. We were asked to join a group of family and friends. It is a different cruise line and a much bigger boat. That said, we go to Hilton Head every summer and always find new things to do. I'm sure that will be the case this time.