Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Doing that, if you meant from a currently nearby port, would contravene the US Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 as your cruise would no be a closed loop one thus transporting passenger between two different US ports on a foreign flagged ship without calling on a distant or even any foreign port.

I don't see the need to do this as Anthem isn't in harm's way anymore. :confused:

Plus, they need a port that can deal with a ship that large, with the facilities to manage the passengers and luggage. Port Canaveral and Bayonne has all they need including the ability to provision the ship. You can bet there are people at Royal Caribbean trying to arrange for glassware, china, glass railing panels, etc, etc.

When I sailed both the Quantum and the Anthem, I noticed how much each ship rocked in (relatively calm seas) comparison to the Explorer and was fairly sure that the Anthem would have problems dealing with the seas and winds that Nor'easters. The Quantum class ships are long and narrow -- and the stabilizers they are equipped with didn't seem to be smoothing out the ride. I don't think this is the last time we will see this kind of news item about the Anthem.

Tend to agree. the video of the waves, outside damage and wide noise was similar to our experience on the Celebrity Infinity in 2010 while in the Drake Passage on a Antarctic Cruise. 35 ft seas 75 knot winds. Wave damage all the way up to deck 14. Yet the rocking was no way as bad as the Anthem. Our max list was 11 degrees which seemed like a lot but really wasn;t. Most remarkable was the sliding doors on the verandah were vibrating like stringed instruments. We had to jam objects into the door slides to stop the wind noise. I would trust the Infinity Class ships through anything.

Who wants to predict besides myself that the captain will be dismissed from the company?

I would go on record to join you in this prediction. This captain's career, at least with RCCL, is all but over at this juncture. They will most likely cosmeticize it as some sort of retirement.

Anyone thinks Michael Bayley will remotely contemplate overlooking this is living in some fantasy lala land.

Edited by Kinofdc

Another vote for Captain Claus. :) We have cruised with Captain Claus many times and had a similar experience in 2011 on Radiance when we were doing the Over The Top Cruise from Sydney to Perth Australia. This man knows what he is doing.......he would never put anyone in harms way.

Great comment Patti. We too, have cruised with Captain Claus quite a few times, and can attest to his skill and knowledge of the sea. He stated through Karina that yesterday was his worst day on the sea, and knowing the man, he meant what he said. And you are also correct, he would never put his ship, crew and passengers in harms way.

Probably the best thing now is to return to Bayonne, as they have announced. After one storm, and another one brewing out there, it's best to head in the other direction, and have a few days to correct any damage done.

A special thanks to Karina and others onboard for keeping all of us up to date.:)

Rick

JR and Chris from WHDH 7 Boston just confirmed this was a Bombogenesis storm. Anthem was in the middle of it. Someone!?!

I saw on Twitter yesterday from another meterologist that this thing (meaning storm) "blew up faster than any storm he's seen in a long time."

I couldn't get the link above, so here is the definition:

What does Bombogenesis mean?

If you live along the east coast of the United States, you may have heard a meteorologist say that a storm system or low pressure area is bombing out or that bombogenisis is about to occur. What do these terms actually mean? When a low pressure system or mid-latitude cyclone moves off of the East Coast of the United States during the colder months of the year, there is a tendency for many of them to intensify rapidly due to the warmer waters of the Gulf Stream and the positioning of the low between two very different air masses. The air mass to the storm's north and west is usually very cold and dry while the air mass to the storm's south and east is very warm and moist. The stormís rapid intensification is known as ìbombogenesisî or I've heard meteorologists say that the storm is bombing out. The heat given off by the ocean is like fuel for the storm. Barometric pressure can drop rapidly causing the winds to increase rapidly. This is the reason noríeasters grow very strong and wreak havoc on the east coast. The warm moist air is extremely plentiful off the southeast coast. This energy feeds into the developing storm via the warm sector of the low. The warm air then rises as it encounters cooler air to the north. This rising motion causes condensation (clouds) to occur which then leads to precipitation. The condensation process actually creates heat (latent heat) and this process further adds fuel to the stormís energy. Upper level winds and conditions also add to the intensification process. If you look at a surface analysis map with the isobars, which are lines that connect equal barometric pressure, you will see that the lines are packed closely together in a storm that is bombing out. This indicates that the pressure gradient is steep and that the winds are strong. These storms sometimes produce hurricane force winds and they cover a large piece of real estate, extending farther than even the largest hurricanes.

Edited by CruisingChick

Who wants to predict besides myself that the captain will be dismissed from the company?

While I suspect that he may well become the scapegoat for this, he did not make the decision to sail in a vacuum. He's just the most visible one in it - forget that he kept things as safe as he could once all hell broke loose.

Sad as it is, going back is probably best. They can repair things, check for more serious damage before the next cruise. Better that cosmetic patches. There is probably a lot of expensive stuff that needs to be checked. I hope they help people find hotels if they have to debark. I also wonder if they are wiping tabs on this cruise for drinks and such. I hope the trip home is safe for them. It's very calm here at Port Canaveral but weather calls for high winds tomorrow. We are on Enchantment and high wind advisory for the Bahamas tomorrow so hoping we are not In for a bumpy ride tomorrow. I admit hearing about Anthem has made me nervous

I would go on record to join you in this prediction. This captain's career, at least with RCCL, is all but over at this juncture. They will most likely cosmeticize it as some sort of retirement.

You and others who make such statements don't have a clue.

The very people who you believe would can him are the same ones (as in corporate) that would have been in on the decision to sail.

The Royal Caribbean captains do not act on their own. They are part of a group that makes such decisions.

There were statements like yours made during the Grandeur fire. That captain continued to serve on the ship and was praised by crew and guests. He has now been given a promotion to a larger ship in the fleet.

Capt. Claus has years of experience and will be praised for his handling of the ship during the storm.

Edited by beachnative

I pray you have safe sailing back to NJ. I am praying in fact.

I never understand why people have to speculate, mock, change facts, blame, etc. They are not a captain of a huge cruise ship, nor were there that many on Anthem at the time. I don't care if it was 45% or 15%, people were scared and that should have been your CONCERN.

God bless on your return. Mary

Edited by silver_cloud

I am currently on board anthem. Have an ocean view balcony and balcony door was shaking so bad I almost thought it was going to fly off. Been on 12 cruises and that by far was the worst sea conditions I have been though

What floor were you on? Hope you are physically and mentally OK. I can't even imagine how rough it was.

It's hard to imagine they are "too cheap" to fly you home when they just comped your cruise and 50% off the next one. They wouldn't deliberately put anyone in harm's way, they are making the best decision they can with the information they have available.

Not to mention that flying 5000 people back would get a bunch of people back after 6 am on wednesday, i suspect.

And, in regards to who you are replying to...

We are slipstreaming last night's storm back which should keep us in decent weather and keep our time good. The Jacksonville storm is still forming so since we are turning, it should not impact us.

You and others who make such statements don't have a clue.

The very people who you believe would can him are the same ones (as in corporate) that would have been in on the decision to sail.

The Royal Caribbean captains do not act on their own. They are part of a group that makes such decisions.

There were statements like yours made during the Grandeur fire. That captain continued to serve on the ship and was praised by crew and guests. He has now been given a promotion to a larger ship in the fleet.

Capt. Claus has years of experience and will be praised for his handling of the ship during the storm.

I in no way was saying I thought that he should be "separated" from the company. I said I suspect they may try to make him out to be the scapegoat while he in no way made the decision in a vacuum. But the captain will always be the most visible face in situations like this - for better or for worse.

I hope all aboard stay safe and sane. It's so incredible to see how differently people in the same situation react to the same set of circumstances. There will always be positive outlooks and negative ones.

Kudos to those staying positive!!

Just heard from a friend onboard -- she said while last night was hellacious, the captain and crew did a great job.

I don't understand the rush. Now he's going to put them back in rough weather again. Why not dock at Port Canaveral until it all blows over.

They may need to get the passengers totally off the ship for a couple of days to do repairs.