Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I don't understand the rush. Now he's going to put them back in rough weather again. Why not dock at Port Canaveral until it all blows over.

I read on twitter from a passenger currently on the ship that some are speculating that there is more wrong with the ship than they are being told. Maybe that has something to do with it??? Guy on twitter's name is Greg. He's being quoted in lots of the local news stories. He has photos on twitter too. He has been tweeted by lots of news people and Greg has granted all of them permission to use his photos.

I don't understand the rush. Now he's going to put them back in rough weather again. Why not dock at Port Canaveral until it all blows over.

As of 11:55am, the storm was already half way through New Jersey. They're not expected into port until Wednesday morning.

Have you paid NO attention? There is another storm brewing between them and Port Canaveral - it is still forming and at this point poses no threat (whereas sailing into it would). They will be following the remnants of what they sailed through which is largely hitting land now. By turning around they should stay in between the systems.

We are not going to Canaveral. We are being returned to Bayonne because of severe storm brewing in Jacksonville. We will be back in NJ 6 am wednesday.

:confused: There's no severe storm brewing near Jacksonville.

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USFL0228:1:US

They must be heading back to NJ as it's the best place for repairs and replacement of broken items.

Having been through Hurricane Sandy on a cruise I will do the arm chair thing for a second. Our Captain of the Norwegian Jewel was vilified by the press when they found he chose to leave NY and head between the storm and the coast, but he made the right choice. Other ships that left the same time we did tried to go into the wind and go over the storm. They ended up stuck in the storm for days and had severe damage. Meanwhile, we plunged ahead South and let the storm push us, reaching a relative 24 kts in speed when the ship was only capable of 20 kts.

We had 100+ mph winds and the waves topped out at 40+ ft around 2AM, with the worst one being the last one (which would be the leading wave coming from the storm). I'm pretty sure we were close to a 30 degree tilt with that one as I was in bed and had to grip the mattress to stop from being rolled onto the floor.

I question the captain heading the Anthem into the wind for a time, which would be somewhere in the N to NE direction. That's what the RCI ships did with Sandy, and they weren't able to make any headway and had severe damage. Whereas our ship headed S to SW, being pushed by the wind, and the only damage we had was to the liquor store, glass in the shops, glass storage below decks for the shops, and a break in a single guard rail along the running track.

Anyhow, glad everyone seems okay. Sorry your trip was canceled, but sounds like the compensation isn't too bad. Big hugs to all of you, I know it wasn't fun when it happened to me and I'm sure it wasn't fun for you folks either.

Thanks for sharing. :eek: Very scary and a bit exciting at the same time.

We've cruised through a bit worse than that, and you are exactly right. It was scary :eek: and exciting.

When we came home that was what we talked about, the weather, not the beautiful ports.

You and others who make such statements don't have a clue.

The very people who you believe would can him are the same ones (as in corporate) that would have been in on the decision to sail.

The Royal Caribbean captains do not act on their own. They are part of a group that makes such decisions.

There were statements like yours made during the Grandeur fire. That captain continued to serve on the ship and was praised by crew and guests. He has now been given a promotion to a larger ship in the fleet.

Capt. Claus has years of experience and will be praised for his handling of the ship during the storm.

likebutton_zps933d4d86.jpg

We saw this on Good Morning America this morning. A few photos were posted and the one guy they interviewed seemed to take it in stride. Our last cruise had waves hitting the top of the life boats.

Glad y'all are all safe. And thanks for posting it live for us. GOD speed for a safe trip home.

Great comment Patti. We too, have cruised with Captain Claus quite a few times, and can attest to his skill and knowledge of the sea. He stated through Karina that yesterday was his worst day on the sea, and knowing the man, he meant what he said. And you are also correct, he would never put his ship, crew and passengers in harms way.

Probably the best thing now is to return to Bayonne, as they have announced. After one storm, and another one brewing out there, it's best to head in the other direction, and have a few days to correct any damage done.

A special thanks to Karina and others onboard for keeping all of us up to date.:)

Rick

Thanks for the thanks. It did help pass the time last night as well as being informational to others. FTR, though...while I did hear the Captain make the same announcement, I think it was jamiebytes that shared it in the thread.

Quick update while cabin guys clean up the broken glass all over our stateroom floor and secure the mangled deck furniture.

They are putting all damaged stuff out in the halls (shower doors that flew off hinges, large pictures that came down, and most of the non attached room decor that by and large shattered last night.)

Captain announced that we are heading back to Bayonne since there is another weather system coming out of Florida. Not supposed to be as bad as last one was. But then again the last one wasn't supposed to be that bad either. No chances with this one. Will be back in port Wednesday morning. We will be following the storm this time. (Do storms ever turn around??)

Further announced that all costs for all cruises are being refunded in full and that in addition we would all get a 50% voucher for another cruise. We don't drink, but they just announced an open bar throughout the ship for the next hour. Going to get a Virgin pina colada. 😀

They didn't have to do all that and I'd consider that to be going overboard. (Oh no, I'm stuck making stupid puns).

Seriously, that was a class move. Sure there was a damage control element in the decision but I'll give them points for being proactive and generous.

Suns out as we head back north so heading outside to enjoy.

:confused: There's no severe storm brewing near Jacksonville.

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USFL0228:1:US

They must be heading back to NJ as it's the best place for repairs and replacement of broken items.

Having been through Hurricane Sandy on a cruise I will do the arm chair thing for a second. Our Captain of the Norwegian Jewel was vilified by the press when they found he chose to leave NY and head between the storm and the coast, but he made the right choice. Other ships that left the same time we did tried to go into the wind and go over the storm. They ended up stuck in the storm for days and had severe damage. Meanwhile, we plunged ahead South and let the storm push us, reaching a relative 24 kts in speed when the ship was only capable of 20 kts.

We had 100+ mph winds and the waves topped out at 40+ ft around 2AM, with the worst one being the last one (which would be the leading wave coming from the storm). I'm pretty sure we were close to a 30 degree tilt with that one as I was in bed and had to grip the mattress to stop from being rolled onto the floor.

I question the captain heading the Anthem into the wind for a time, which would be somewhere in the N to NE direction. That's what the RCI ships did with Sandy, and they weren't able to make any headway and had severe damage. Whereas our ship headed S to SW, being pushed by the wind, and the only damage we had was to the liquor store, glass in the shops, glass storage below decks for the shops, and a break in a single guard rail along the running track.

Anyhow, glad everyone seems okay. Sorry your trip was canceled, but sounds like the compensation isn't too bad. Big hugs to all of you, I know it wasn't fun when it happened to me and I'm sure it wasn't fun for you folks either.

As much as I turn to the weather channel, they are not where I go if I want actual reliable weather (looking at you, snowzilla). If the Captain and the flock of meteorologists at his back say there is a storm brewing that could rival last night's, I will believe them. They have been very transparent with us and to lie at this point would be silly.

Anthem is returning to Bayonne. Captain just announc d

so sorry that your cruise was so rough and cut short but it sounds like RCCL is being fair with the refund and the discount on future cruise and there may be damage that needs attending which would necessitate the return.

When I sailed both the Quantum and the Anthem, I noticed how much each ship rocked in (relatively calm seas) comparison to the Explorer and was fairly sure that the Anthem would have problems dealing with the seas and winds that Nor'easters. The Quantum class ships are long and narrow -- and the stabilizers they are equipped with didn't seem to be smoothing out the ride. I don't think this is the last time we will see this kind of news item about the Anthem.

Heck, when I was on Allure I noticed the same thing. Seemingly calm seas but the boat was swaying more than any cruise ship I've been on... Voyager OTS, Carnival and NCL. I would never do a TA cruise on one of the behemoths...

Edited by FSUNole

Just returned from a cruise yesterday and we had heavy seas on Friday, but nothing like this. Ours ranged in the 10 to 20 foot waves and we were on a smaller ship than the Anthem. We rode out the seas in good shape. This may have been the same storm that went up the coast. I am sure that the intensity increased after it went into the warmer Gulf Stream. Just glad that the Captain knew what to do and how to handle the situation. I have been on smaller ships in heavy seas when the pool water was sloshing out of them over 10 feet in the air. they are rough rides, but they held together and got us back home.

I saw a comment on another line that they thought these ships looked top heavy. Yes they do, but the Anthem has a draft of 28 feet with plenty of ballast to keep them upright when bad weather happens. Handled right, these large ships will float upright.

Okay. At this point, actual news is pretty much not going to be a thing. I will, of course, post anything of substance that is reliably reported by a member of Senior Staff. But, I am at this point tired of reading all the blamers so will probably absent myself from this thread in a general sort of way. I leave you with:

The Captain was always honest as to the situation.

Knowing something about storms, I completely believe a minor storm took a turn for the worst.

The Captain and Crew have done a brilliant job ok keeping life and ship safe given an incredibly hideous situation NOT OF THEIR MAKING. They continue to do all they can to keep us safe and comfortable.

They have rescheduled all the cancelled shows from yesterday.

They opened all the bars for free booze from 1 til 2 this afternoon.

I am, for the most part, also very proud of the passengers on this cruise.

Edited by KarinaGW

Okay. At this point, actual news is pretty much not going to be a thing. I will, of course, post anything of substance that is reliably reported by a member of Senior Staff. But, I am at this point tired of reading all the blamers so will probably absent myself from this thread in a general sort of way. I leave you with:

Knowing something about storms, I completely believe a minor storm took a turn for the worst.

The Captain and Crew have done a brilliant job ok keeping life and ship safe given an incredibly hideous situation NOT OF THEIR MAKING. They continue to do all they can to keep us safe and comfortable.

Thank you for taking the time to update everyone. Safe journeys!! :)

Quick update while cabin guys clean up the broken glass all over our stateroom floor and secure the mangled deck furniture.

They are putting all damaged stuff out in the halls (shower doors that flew off hinges, large pictures that came down, and most of the non attached room decor that by and large shattered last night.)

Captain announced that we are heading back to Bayonne since there is another weather system coming out of Florida. Not supposed to be as bad as last one was. But then again the last one wasn't supposed to be that bad either. No chances with this one. Will be back in port Wednesday morning. We will be following the storm this time. (Do storms ever turn around??)

Further announced that all costs for all cruises are being refunded in full and that in addition we would all get a 50% voucher for another cruise. We don't drink, but they just announced an open bar throughout the ship for the next hour. Going to get a Virgin pina colada. 😀

They didn't have to do all that and I'd consider that to be going overboard. (Oh no, I'm stuck making stupid puns).

Seriously, that was a class move. Sure there was a damage control element in the decision but I'll give them points for being proactive and generous.

Suns out as we head back north so heading outside to enjoy.

Take your own mug, in case they run out of intact glasses! ;) :D

I appreciated your updates and agree with your post above. Thank you!

Incredible spirit on board this morning. In 25 years of cruising I've never seen anything like it.

Having a late breakfast after being up till about 5, and all of us who were strangers yesterday seem to be best friends today. Perhaps because we were all in the same boat last night. (Guessing that's where the saying came from. ). Last night all of us were equals, and the 5000 of us not on the bridge were praying hard for the few dozen who were on that bridge.

Everyone is sharing their stories today, and staff and crew are being totally transparent about the fact that we all had a rough night. Captain said that last night was the worst night of his career and you could tell there was no pretense.

RCCL has made pretty much everything free and are doing all the right things you'd hope for in a situation like this. Free internet, free mini bar, free stateroom movies, and transparent announcements.

Having cruised many times on RCCL, I've seen them change itineraries for lesser situations than we had last night, so I'd have to reject the notion that they were grossly negligent. I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis and industry education that will come out of this.

We did choose to sail out of port liberty in February so we knew there was an increased risk. But watching as the storm developed and wrapped around us so quickly and how the crew maneuvered the ship to try to find pockets of relative calm, attempt to hold the ship facing into the wind, then look for the best opportunity to pivot and hightail it out, they have my respect and gratitude.

Walking around the ship this morning, it's amazing how well the ship fared. I'm sure many people worked all night to make this happen. Thanks all.

Beautiful day at sea off coast of Georgia but still windy. They reported another storm system developing off Jacksonville and we are barely creeping along so I assume they are deciding how to proceed.

Newsflash. Actually as I'm typing we are turning hard to the east and down to a crawl so looks like the plans are changing.

This is how memories are made....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hearthstone: you have my greatest admiration-fantastic attitude!:D You too Karina

MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif

Edited by BecciBoo

BRAVO to you Karina!!! Godspeed!!

I will say it again: Karina, you are AWESOME!