Down with Men in Hats in MDR

solocanadian

Another pet peeve of mine is men and boys wearing hats in the Main Dining Room. It's bad enough to have to put up with these rude people in the Lido.:( If you come to my home in a hat I ask for them to be removed. How many of you approve men wearing hats in the MDR?

It really does not matter what we approve of.

We cannot control what other people wear. We can however make a choice to let it detract us from enjoying our cruise or not. We choose the latter.

No use sweating the small stuff that we cannot change.

Edited by iancal

Just back from Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam last week.

On formal or gala night, the gentleman (?) entering the Main Dining Room in front of us was dressed in short sleeve T-Shirt, leather biker-type vest, Croc sandals and a baseball hat. Very nice look :rolleyes: The Assistant Dining Room Manager stopped him and politely asked that he remove his hat before entering which the man did.

We definitely need more Tony Sopranos ...

There can be exceptions. Many years ago we went on a cruise after my late husband had a serious skin cancer removed from his head. When we were invited to the captains table I spoke to the person in charge, explaining that

wearing a cap was necessary both in preventing injury to the wound and

covering an unsightly area. He assured us that there would be

no problem. As it turned out this would be our last cruise. My husband died a few months after we returned home; not from the skin cancer, but

from multiple myloma.

I respect your opinions but I just don't understand this post at all. If I'm not interested in a thread it's easy for me to pass it by. People have things that bother them. Shouldn't everyone have the opportunity to share them? These boards are getting to be so draining lately.

I'm actually really concerned for Solo Canadian. She is usually such a feisty, can-do, upbeat person. I pass on a lot of threads, but for some reason I felt compelled to not pass this one by. I appreciate her sharing, and yours, and perhaps I'm reading her posts out of context.

Just back from Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam last week.

On formal or gala night, the gentleman (?) entering the Main Dining Room in front of us was dressed in short sleeve T-Shirt, leather biker-type vest, Croc sandals and a baseball hat. Very nice look :rolleyes: The Assistant Dining Room Manager stopped him and politely asked that he remove his hat before entering which the man did.

We definitely need more Tony Sopranos ...

Three cheers for the Assistant Dining Room Manager.

I'm actually really concerned for Solo Canadian. She is usually such a feisty, can-do, upbeat person. I pass on a lot of threads, but for some reason I felt compelled to not pass this one by. I appreciate her sharing, and yours, and perhaps I'm reading her posts out of context.

I know I'd prefer someone to send me a private email in that case. I realize she doesn't have an email listed but it wouldn't hurt to ask for one. I'd be mortified by the call out.

There can be exceptions. Many years ago we went on a cruise after my late husband had a serious skin cancer removed from his head. When we were invited to the captains table I spoke to the person in charge, explaining that

wearing a cap was necessary both in preventing injury to the wound and

covering an unsightly area. He assured us that there would be

no problem. As it turned out this would be our last cruise. My husband died a few months after we returned home; not from the skin cancer, but

from multiple myloma.

Thank you for making this point.

When my DH starts to fume at the sight of a man wearing a hat anywhere inside, I tell him that person either has it on for medical (or I suppose religious) reasons or is making a fashion statement! We are just going to have to get used to different ways people have. The only time I have asked a man to remove his headgear was once in the cathedral in Pisa and a man was so intent taking pictures with his iPad I guess he forgot he was in a place of worship.

I don't remember seeing anyone wearing any kind of hat in the MDR on either Gala night on our Veendam cruise last May. I did see casual sun dresses worn with the old fashioned inexpensive rubber flip flops by several young ladies in the MDR. I had not seen those old type of flimsy rubber flip flops in years. These several young ladies were together so they must have got their casual evening footwear at the same place.

Lorie

I did once sit at dinner in the MDR with a youngish man wearing a baseball cap. It bothered me, but only a little, because I had wondered if he had a medical reason to wear it and I didn't want to pry. In the end it's my problem whether I choose to be bothered or not. But hey, there are far more important things to worry about in the end. It didn't spoil my cruise.

What if it were for religious beliefs?
A baseball cap? Is that the same religion that people who wear a patch behind their ear belong to? :)

The only time I have asked a man to remove his headgear was once in the cathedral in Pisa ...
I often wondered when I was growing up why was it "proper" for women to have their heads covered and men uncovered? Who made up these rules? And why is it that women no longer have to cover up yet men should still uncover? :confused:

A baseball cap? Is that the same religion that people who wear a patch behind their ear belong to? :)

I often wondered when I was growing up why was it "proper" for women to have their heads covered and men uncovered? Who made up these rules? And why is it that women no longer have to cover up yet men should still uncover? :confused:

Women covering up comes from the writings of St Paul. Men being uncovered is by tradition, which is frequently broken by Bishops in mitres and priests in birettas.

I have covered my head in the Sistine Chapel and Notre Dame for example to show respect.