Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Company has already made this announcement:

The Anthem only suffered minor damage and will sail its scheduled itinerary out of Cape Liberty this Saturday.

“Everything is operational; everything is good,” Freed said. “A lot of our dishes broke and we have truckloads of supplies being sent up to the Bayonne area. All the broken glass has been taken away and the ship is fully operational.”

The FlowRider on top of the Anthem was slightly damaged, but it will be repaired in time for Saturday’s sailing.

It is nice to read this update, but I would be worried if the flowrider wasn't up and running.:eek: It's my favourite spot on any ship that has one.

Miopyk,

Glad your journey is close to over and you managed to make the best of it.

I saw the article from RCI (I am scheduled on the 2/13 cruise so interested), but I don't necessarily believe them (what would you expect them to say -- the ship is damaged and needs two weeks to repair -- after making your group take a three day cruise back north?)

Just curious though for more detail on why people on board are speculating more damage then can see? Did they explain at all why they are going so slow? Seeing the damage you can see, do you think they can fix in 2 days? Was the ship more rocky then it should have been on way back north?

Thanks in advance!

The national news just intimated (didn't say it was for sure) that those needing help getting luggage off may not be able to disembark until the morning. I assume this mean there is no Longshoremen available at the 9pm arrival time???? Anyone know for sure? Hope this isn't just "one more thing to deal with" for these passengers and crew.

For the record, the burgers in Michael's are awesome and the fries are decent.

So is the Wisconsin cheese burger and fries platter on the lunch menu in the American Icon and it is at no extra charge unlike Michael's Pub burger. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

The national news just intimated (didn't say it was for sure) that those needing help getting luggage off may not be able to disembark until the morning. I assume this mean there is no Longshoremen available at the 9pm arrival time???? Anyone know for sure? Hope this isn't just "one more thing to deal with" for these passengers and crew.

It was posted earlier in this thread or the Feb 6th roll call one by someone onboard that those who wanted to get off tonight, from 9pm to midnight I believe, had to do a walk off thus had to handle their own luggage while getting off.

Edited by robtulipe

It was already announced that only self-assist passengers would be able to disembark tonight. I assume that means there won't be any longshoremen or porters available until the debarkation window tomorrow.

That's correct, from what I've read here. Passengers currently aboard Anthem have posted they have the option to disembark tonight (self assist luggage) or in the morning with the normal luggage handling procedure.

Judy

... sigh....

OP - I'm not saying your post is not relevant - it appears to be appropriate, but for the love of Pete, why did you think this needed a new thread, and does not fit into one of the other existing Anthem threads dealing with this very topic?

Don't know why people get so upset.If you do not like a thread don't open it.

Have a great next cruise.

I was on the Freedom in Oct 2011, ship should have never left port, the Disney and Carnival did not set sail, we did , hit a horrible storm, why would Freedom leave Port Canavaral, the 2 other ships stayed put? Our ship had extensive damage, , most passengers felt we should have stayed the night in port

I think the majority are staying onboard. Which makes sense as where you gonna go at 10/11pm unless u live close. Any attempts at containment by Rccl by staggering the disembarkation over 2 days may backfire and I think the media will get their soundbites as I would think the people that get off tonight will be the ones that are most upset.

Nah. Going less than 7 knots; sailing distance of still approx 60 nautical miles from Barnegat Light to NYC.

Company has already made this announcement:

The Anthem only suffered minor damage and will sail its scheduled itinerary out of Cape Liberty this Saturday.

“Everything is operational; everything is good,” Freed said. “A lot of our dishes broke and we have truckloads of supplies being sent up to the Bayonne area. All the broken glass has been taken away and the ship is fully operational.”

The FlowRider on top of the Anthem was slightly damaged, but it will be repaired in time for Saturday’s sailing.

I am trying to reconcile this with the ship traveling at ~6 knots for the last two days.

Is the speed simply the result of an abundance of caution? Or is there damage that suggests a cautious speed is warranted?

I don't think heavy seas by themselves would dictate such a slow speed.

Any suggestions of possible reasons?

:)

I think the majority are staying onboard. Which makes sense as where you gonna go at 10/11pm unless u live close. Any attempts at containment by Rccl by staggering the disembarkation over 2 days may backfire and I think the media will get their soundbites as I would think the people that get off tonight will be the ones that are most upset.

Well should be an interesting night ,hope you have a great night!:)

Reader

Been enjoying myself the past couple hours & catching up now.so this may been answered. Captain said picking up pilot at Ambrose/Sandy Hook which may mean more to others than me.

The Ambrose channel is the main entrance to New York Harbor, just east of Sandy Hook, which is a narrow peninsula extending north from the New Jersey mainland into the harbor.

New_York_Harbor_Nautical_Chart.jpg

I am trying to reconcile this with the ship traveling at ~6 knots for the last two days.

Is the speed simply the result of an abundance of caution? Or is there damage that suggests a cautious speed is warranted?

I don't think heavy seas by themselves would dictate such a slow speed.

Any suggestions of possible reasons?

I agree. I just do not understand the slow speed, unless something may be wrong.