Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Yes, I remember all the hoopla about it when she arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, we were watching live on the web cam..and it was jubilant but not because of the storm, everyone was just excited for her arrival stateside, that's all.

We all remember the photo's of the damage....negligible.

I have really been struggling to figure out how so many have such blind faith and love for a company no matter what they do. I think I may have come up with one that kinda makes sense.

I think the RA RA"S see Rccl like a sports franchise . The ships are the players.

Most love the "star players' but others love the underrated hard working type that have been with the team for a long time.

The RR"S always show up to games no matter how much the ticket prices or beers go up.

They buy all the over priced merchandise.

No matter how many times they are let down by the franchise they still love and defend them( to friends enemies, message boards) .

No matter how many "mistakes" the "players" make they always welcome them back....

As a sports fan I can actually relate to this.

Totally makes sense!!

I have never bought a single RCI labeled item in my life.

I have taken cruises on other cruise lines, and if the other cruise lines had a flowrider, my upcoming cruises might be on another line. I like the flowrider and no other cruise line has one.

I have taken lots of vacations that had absolutely nothing to do with RCI.

I only object to people who make statements like the captain should be fired. The anthem cruise was a disaster. Cheerleaders are blind to reality. That kind o thing. I am 100% in favor of finding the truth. If the ship suffered serious damage, I hope to know it happened. Glass breaking and people puking is not a giant deal. Been there done that.

I, also, am not a fan of people on a crusade against something. You might check out the last of my signature, that I don't post often. It applies so very aptly to a lot of the stuff that happens in this forum and in life. CS Lewis was a brilliant man.

JC

I don't really follow you but I am used to that. During the first few days of this thread i was pretty emotional but I don't think I have said that I wanted the captain fired.

I was going to look at all my posts but I have a feeling that will be done for me.

Edited by shaun07

I have never bought a single RCI labeled item in my life.

I have taken cruises on other cruise lines, and if the other cruise lines had a flowrider, my upcoming cruises might be on another line. I like the flowrider and no other cruise line has one.

I have taken lots of vacations that had absolutely nothing to do with RCI.

I only object to people who make statements like the captain should be fired. The anthem cruise was a disaster. Cheerleaders are blind to reality. That kind o thing. I am 100% in favor of finding the truth. If the ship suffered serious damage, I hope to know it happened. Glass breaking and people puking is not a giant deal. Been there done that.

I, also, am not a fan of people on a crusade against something. You might check out the last of my signature, that I don't post often. It applies so very aptly to a lot of the stuff that happens in this forum and in life. CS Lewis was a brilliant man.

JC

JC, I find the same issue regarding the no flowrider issue. As I pointed out to OB today I think I found a solution. I don't know what they would to do at shore side luggage drop, but bring your extension cord.

http://www.aquaticgroup.com/products/flowrider/wave-in-a-box/

As for the rest of your comments, they are all on side and on point IMO. It has been a crazy week on CC, no matter what side of the conversations you support. It will smooth out just like the oceans.

JC, we need to stand in the flowrider line and chat about other things. If we could just get OB to join us for dinner at the WJ it would be great week. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

I have really been struggling to figure out how so many have such blind faith and love for a company no matter what they do. I think I may have come up with one that kinda makes sense.

I think the RA RA"S see Rccl like a sports franchise . The ships are the players.

Most love the "star players' but others love the underrated hard working type that have been with the team for a long time.

The RR"S always show up to games no matter how much the ticket prices or beers go up.

No matter how many times they are let down by the franchise they still love and defend them( to friends enemies, message boards) .

No matter how many "mistakes" the "players" make they always welcome them back....

Believe me, if I thought RCI had done something wrong, I would be the first to lay the lumber to them, as I did to Carnival over aspects of the Splendor and Triumph fires, when the final reports came out.

Believe me, if I thought RCI had done something wrong, I would be the first to lay the lumber to them, as I did to Carnival over aspects of the Splendor and Triumph fires, when the final reports came out.

I curse my sports team out all the time. Maybe I am the only one who sees the similarities which is fine as it helps me rationalize some peoples pos

So you think Rccl handled everything perfectly?

Edited by shaun07

I curse my sports team out all the time. Maybe I am the only one who sees the similarities which is fine as it helps me rationalize some peoples pos

So you think Rccl handled everything perfectly?

I don't get involved with PR or guest relations questions, its not my field, but I believe that's your main gripe.

I deal in maritime design, operations, and safety, trying to present factual data to the untutored CC masses. One reason I started posting on CC was to correct the misinformation when so many were calling for Carnival's head, because of perceived "negligence" in the Triumph fire. No government agency, US or other nation, regulatory body, class society, or court of law has found Carnival negligent in that incident. That is a fact, but people's feelings are quite different. But the Triumph is a whole 'nother set of threads on another forum.

I don't get involved with PR or guest relations questions, its not my field, but I believe that's your main gripe.

I deal in maritime design, operations, and safety, trying to present factual data to the untutored CC masses. One reason I started posting on CC was to correct the misinformation when so many were calling for Carnival's head, because of perceived "negligence" in the Triumph fire. No government agency, US or other nation, regulatory body, class society, or court of law has found Carnival negligent in that incident. That is a fact, but people's feelings are quite different. But the Triumph is a whole 'nother set of threads on another forum.

i totally respect that. more then you know

You realize ALL cruise lines make these weather decisions all the time. Odds are they all would have made the same decision as Royal in this situation. You do realize how many ships sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

I have flown 3 million miles, stayed in 100's of hotels, and been on 15 cruises. Have been on planes that have almost crashed 3 times, on planes with 2 fires that had to make emergency landings, been in 2 hotel fires, 5 auto accidents, and 2 cruises that hit 25 to 30 foot seas.

I will agree with you and other passengers that your experience was scary. I will disagree that the captain or Royal were to blame. When at sea these things can occur at anytime.

If you get on a ship .. It may sink.

If you get on a plane .. It may crash.

If you get in a car .. It may crash.

I have flown 3 million miles, stayed in 100's of hotels, and been on 15 cruises. Have been on planes that have almost crashed 3 times, on planes with 2 fires that had to make emergency landings, been in 2 hotel fires, 5 auto accidents, and 2 cruises that hit 25 to 30 foot seas.

I am not sure if your lucky or unlucky...lucky i would guess

You realize ALL cruise lines make these weather decisions all the time. Odds are they all would have made the same decision as Royal in this situation. You do realize how many ships sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

I have to respectfully disagree that ALL cruise lines would have made the same decision. You really don't know that. In fact just a couple of weeks ago the Crown Princess experienced a 15 hour delay in sailing from Ensenada back to Los Angeles due to very high winds in Southern California. The winds in question weren't anywhere near as bad as those forecast for the storm into which the Anthem sailed. Yet Princess made a decision that for the safety and comfort of the passengers and crew it was best to delay.

This decision affected people on two cruise itineraries - the passengers returning to Los Angeles who missed flights and had to make alternate arrangements and those waiting to board for the next cruise who lost the entire first day of their cruise.

My point in stating this is that your assessment is far too broad. You really do not know what other cruise lines would have done. Judgments were made and in hindsight I think it is clear the ship should not have departed and headed into the storm.

I have to respectfully disagree that ALL cruise lines would have made the same decision. You really don't know that. In fact just a couple of weeks ago the Crown Princess experienced a 15 hour delay in sailing from Ensenada back to Los Angeles due to very high winds in Southern California. The winds in question weren't anywhere near as bad as those forecast for the storm into which the Anthem sailed. Yet Princess made a decision that for the safety and comfort of the passengers and crew it was best to delay.

This decision affected people on two cruise itineraries - the passengers returning to Los Angeles who missed flights and had to make alternate arrangements and those waiting to board for the next cruise who lost the entire first day of their cruise.

My point in stating this is that your assessment is far too broad. You really do not know what other cruise lines would have done. Judgments were made and in hindsight I think it is clear the ship should not have departed and headed into the storm.

And you don't know that they all wouldn't have made the same decision.

I do know that if it was predicted to be anywhere near as severe as it turned out to be .. they would have either picked a different itinerary or delayed sailing.

Respectfully, also, that's really apples and oranges.

Princess's decision as to getting into LA was likely more about navigating it's way through the port channel to the pier. And even more likely that the harbor pilots told them to wait. Happens all the time. My last trip on Majesty we had to juggle our arrival into Nassau because when the winds get a little high it's trickier to get to the pier and dock, and the harbor pilots tell them to wait. These ships with their huge slab sides are like sails in the wind. Big gusts in a tight harbor channel can be problematic for marine traffic. It's not at all like making decisions to sail around or near a storm.

Respectfully, also, that's really apples and oranges.

Princess's decision as to getting into LA was likely more about navigating it's way through the port channel to the pier. And even more likely that the harbor pilots told them to wait. Happens all the time. My last trip on Majesty we had to juggle our arrival into Nassau because when the winds get a little high it's trickier to get to the pier and dock, and the harbor pilots tell them to wait. These ships with their huge slab sides are like sails in the wind. Big gusts in a tight harbor channel can be problematic for marine traffic. It's not at all like making decisions to sail around or near a storm.

No you are incorrect. Princess made the decision not to sail up the coast against high winds. It had absolutely nothing to do with getting into the harbor at San Pedro. Boating traffic along the entire Southern California coast was significantly affected by the conditions offshore. I do know what I am speaking about as the wife of a commercial fisherman here. Princess determined that it was prudent to delay until conditions improved enough to safely and comfortably make the ocean passage up the coast from Ensenada to LA.

No you are incorrect. Princess made the decision not to sail up the coast against high winds. It had absolutely nothing to do with getting into the harbor at San Pedro. Boating traffic along the entire Southern California coast was significantly affected by the conditions offshore. I do know what I am speaking about as the wife of a commercial fisherman here. Princess determined that it was prudent to delay until conditions improved enough to safely and comfortably make the ocean passage up the coast from Ensenada to LA.

Sorry I still disagree. I lived in Los Angeles for 12 years and I know how those winds can get, and have sailed out of San Pedro more than a few times. I do not believe it was the same kind of decision making as Anthem faced.

Edited by MattInFLL

Sorry I still disagree. I lived in Los Angeles for 12 years and I know how those winds can get, and have sailed out of San Pedro more than a few times. I do not believe it was the same kind of decision making as Anthem faced.

The ship remained at the dock at Ensenada for 15 hours past its scheduled departure time and then proceeded at a significantly reduced rate of speed up the coast back to Los Angeles because of ocean conditions offshore, not because they were unable to get into San Pedro. I know this for a fact. But those who wish to continue to disagree may certainly do so, however, you are missing the point. My point is that this was likely a conservative decision. Other cruise lines may have made different decisions in this case just as other lines may have made different decisions than those of RCI.

Edited by karatemom2

Or maybe you are not getting my original point. The decision situation faced by Princess that day (known weather condition already happening in their direct path to the port), were not the same as what Anthem faced (predictions/forecasts that had not yet materialized in a wide swath of open sea).

Oh well, I told myself I would not get into Anthem disagreements and here I am. So I will stop now.

All the talk about the list the ship can take, I found this video of Capt Claus talking about it and the storm. He says it can take a 47 degree list.

Thank you. In reading and listening, I am just amazed about how huge these vessels are yet so tiny in the ocean. It is amazing that we don't more often see more items crashing in storms. It is amazing. I think it was horrible for many on ship and they deserve to vent...big motion is scary and we are all so different on that and where they were on ship matters too....and good that and I believe that all will be studied and we have Cheng for the honest facts in his arena. Personally I think we will have more facts in this arena than we ever do in many many others...i.e. world matters.

I also am in shock thinking about in my few cruises in 36 years time now..how much different the ships were in size, stability, and have some rough water memory but nothing that appears this bad as nearly as I can tell. And I was sitting in the window/porthole ledge loving it in my late 20's or early 30's on the old Costa Riviera. So much changes and varies.

Edited by sjn911

Ships can take a lot more than people can.

Anyone remember Semester at Sea in 2005?

At the end, no serious injuries. Uncomfortable? Yes. Dangerous? Not really.

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen. This is the Captain speaking. The ship is not going to sink! :D