Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Negligence by owner negates warranty. They admitted some liability.

How and when? I don't ever remember reading that RC failed to follow through with regular maintenance.:confused:

Edit: I kind of doubt getting caught in a hurricane force storm shows negligence. Maybe foolishness, but I am not sure about negligence.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Did it cause the risk of the ship to be lost? the likely hood of the vessel being lost at sea? No.... so yes, losing a lifeboat is superficial.... It did not cause increased likely hood of the loss of the ship like hull damage, loss of stability, pumping systems would....

to you, a buffet mouth stuffing tourist...its a big deal, everything is a big deal....

It the world of maritime sea faring.... a life boat coming off in weather or clutch problems, IS superficial. It can all be repaired/replaced rather easily, doesn't make the ship go down, and is generally minor in comparison to losing the ship.

Wow. I know cheerleaders can be blind to reality, but the suggestion that anything short of catastrophic damage is superficial pushes the boundaries of sanity.

Superficial, as in "on the surface"; cosmetic, as in coloration; neither of those terms can reasonably be used to describe minor damage. Let alone alone anything worse.

Characterization of damage is not a binary choice. It is not simply superficial or catastrophic. As I said before, there is a scale. Superficial at one end, meaning stuff that affects appearance and can be safely left uncorrected. Burned out clutches and lifeboats that may not be fit to launch do not fit in that category. The fact that neither of those imperil the ship does not mean they are superficial. To suggest they are is silly.

Wonder if abuse from a hurricane negates the warranty. The warranty people will definitely try to spin it.

Negligence by owner negates warranty. They admitted some liability.

There was no failure, so no warranty claim. There was no negligence by the owner in the use of the pods. A wear item wore out prematurely, so the owner buys new parts. If your car brakes wear down before the manufacturer says they should, is this a failure of the brakes?

Wow. I know cheerleaders can be blind to reality, but the suggestion that anything short of catastrophic damage is superficial pushes the boundaries of sanity.

Superficial, as in "on the surface"; cosmetic, as in coloration; neither of those terms can reasonably be used to describe minor damage. Let alone alone anything worse.

Characterization of damage is not a binary choice. It is not simply superficial or catastrophic. As I said before, there is a scale. Superficial at one end, meaning stuff that affects appearance and can be safely left uncorrected. Burned out clutches and lifeboats that may not be fit to launch do not fit in that category. The fact that neither of those imperil the ship does not mean they are superficial. To suggest they are is silly.

Did I miss something about a lifeboat? I thought that picture was from another RCI ship a year ago. Was that on the Anthem?

As far as the clutches, there was no damage. A part that is expected to wear, wore.

Did I miss something about a lifeboat? I thought that picture was from another RCI ship a year ago. Was that on the Anthem?

As far as the clutches, there was no damage. A part that is expected to wear, wore.

My impression was that the picture was among others from Anthem. But I could be wrong.

As to a wearable part wearing out. While the part may have a limited design life. Loosing all of them at the same time under trying conditions suggests that the failure was something other than normal wear and tear. In other words they were damaged.

I know we are close to counting angels on the head of a pin, but I do not think it unreasonable to see the loss of important propulsion components at a critical time as something more than routine. I am not trying to make these failures something more than they are. But I do object to any suggestion that the failures in no way affected operations.

Sure, how about USCG home of the "ship is seaworthy" and sailing as scheduled.

What causes unhappiness when people get what they want?:eek: It was all about the NTSB and the Coast Guard, but now it's not. I'm guessing the Coast Guard and NTSB have let them down badly by inspecting the repairs and finding the ship seaworthy and safe for passengers.

The big spotlights are also about to shift to whatever the next big deal will be and the 15 minutes is about to end. Maybe the next big deal will be to question the competence of the NTSB and Coast Guard? Who knows! We know it will be something, and some folks must continue to run after the lights like moths drawn to a flame, I think. Grieving the loss of that 15 minutes may take awhile.

Judy

My impression was that the picture was among others from Anthem. But I could be wrong.

As to a wearable part wearing out. While the part may have a limited design life. Loosing all of them at the same time under trying conditions suggests that the failure was something other than normal wear and tear. In other words they were damaged.

I know we are close to counting angels on the head of a pin, but I do not think it unreasonable to see the loss of important propulsion components at a critical time as something more than routine. I am not trying to make these failures something more than they are. But I do object to any suggestion that the failures in no way affected operations.

As to all the clutches wearing out at the same time, they are all set to start slipping at the same torque value, there are multiple clutches because there are multiple electric motors/gearboxes that rotate each pod. So I would expect them to all wear out at the same time. And while I can't be sure of this, because they are a safety measure to prevent damage to the gearbox/motor, I have my suspicions that if necessary there is a way to lock out the clutches and use the steering of the pod in an emergency mode, with the caveat that you may damage the gearboxes/motors if you hit something.

No, you didn't miss anything about a lifeboat, you're right. The person who posted that lifeboat picture was on different ship on a Med cruise. The post also said the ship had to be re-inspected at every port because of the broken mounting.

Oh Holy Moly! :eek::eek::eek: Here I sit in my breakfast room and my chair just jumped up 2 inches and I heard the tinkle of glass breaking somewhere. Just had another earthquake here in OKC.:eek:

Judy

No, you didn't miss anything about a lifeboat, you're right. The person who posted that lifeboat picture was on different ship on a Med cruise. The post also said the ship had to be re-inspected at every port because of the broken mounting.

Gentle correction as that lifeboat picture earlier in this thread was from our Explorer repo in 2014 - Bayonne to Port Canaveral. :) Yep, we were the talk of the Caribbean at every port! :p

Gentle correction as that lifeboat picture earlier in this thread was from our Explorer repo in 2014 - Bayonne to Port Canaveral. :) Yep, we were the talk of the Caribbean at every port! :p

Sorry, Langley! I obviously got your location wrong, but I remembered what you said about the inspections. Thanks for setting it straight!

Judy

Oh Holy Moly! :eek::eek::eek: Here I sit in my breakfast room and my chair just jumped up 2 inches and I heard the tinkle of glass breaking somewhere. Just had another earthquake here in OKC.:eek:

Judy

Should we contact NTSB to inspect your chair before you sit down again? :D

I have really been struggling to figure out how so many have such blind faith and love for a company no matter what they do. I think I may have come up with one that kinda makes sense.

I think the RA RA"S see Rccl like a sports franchise . The ships are the players.

Most love the "star players' but others love the underrated hard working type that have been with the team for a long time.

The RR"S always show up to games no matter how much the ticket prices or beers go up.

They buy all the over priced merchandise.

No matter how many times they are let down by the franchise they still love and defend them( to friends enemies, message boards) .

No matter how many "mistakes" the "players" make they always welcome them back....

As a sports fan I can actually relate to this.

Wow! It's amazing how these threads have progressed since yesterday...false claims of a lifeboat torn from it's mount, a weird letter written to RCI, other posters including one who has never even been on RCI being called "ra-ra's" and one particular post about George Steinbrenner that still has me scratching my head. Gotta love Cruise Critic. :D

I have really been struggling to figure out how so many have such blind faith and love for a company no matter what they do. I think I may have come up with one that kinda makes sense.

I think the RA RA"S see Rccl like a sports franchise . The ships are the players.

Don't forget though that almost all cruise lines have skeletons in their closets, decisions they want to take back, etc. We are coming over from DCL and will have our first cruise on RCCL in 2017. Everything said on here about the Anthem reminds me of what was said with DCL's hurricane Sandy sailing. If we didn't cruise a line due to something like this happening, there wouldn't be any lines left to sail.

The Oasis had lifeboats torn from their mounts when they did there original crossing from the shipyard to Florida. The personal said it was a really rough ride and the celebration coming into FLL was jubilant!

Don't forget though that almost all cruise lines have skeletons in their closets, decisions they want to take back, etc. We are coming over from DCL and will have our first cruise on RCCL in 2017. Everything said on here about the Anthem reminds me of what was said with DCL's hurricane Sandy sailing. If we didn't cruise a line due to something like this happening, there wouldn't be any lines left to sail.

That's a very good point. I know there are so many reviews about everything to do with cruising. Is there any place that reviews the screw ups? I wonder which line has the least amount of "skeletons" [emoji3]

That's a very good point. I know there are so many reviews about everything to do with cruising. Is there any place that reviews the screw ups? I wonder which line has the least amount of "skeletons" [emoji3]

There is an events at sea page out there, but I am not sure how that list is compiled, because DCL rarely shows up on there, they are good, but not that perfect. Would be curious though if anyone has a better site than that one. Now that I think about it, RCCL doesn't seem to show up on their a lot either.

Edited by cgolf1

It would be even better to find out which line learns from its screwups and puts in place measures to try to prevent them from happening again.

We taught our son that everyone makes mistakes…the important thing is what you do after that mistake. :):)

The Oasis had lifeboats torn from their mounts when they did there original crossing from the shipyard to Florida. The personal said it was a really rough ride and the celebration coming into FLL was jubilant!

Not true at all, there was minimal damage to the 2 forward lifeboats which necessitated the addition of Sponsons to the side of the ship. There were no lifeboats lost at all.

Here is the information on it: http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=3529

There is an events at sea page out there, but I am not sure how that list is compiled, because DCL rarely shows up on there, they are good, but not that perfect. Would be curious though if anyone has a better site than that one. Now that I think about it, RCCL doesn't seem to show up on their a lot either.

Here you go. Disney actually has the latest entry as of this post.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Not true at all, there was minimal damage to the 2 forward lifeboats which necessitated the addition of Sponsons to the side of the ship. There were no lifeboats lost at all.

Here is the information on it: http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=3529

I believe it ended up being that the boats had some fiberglass damage to the tops, and the davit arms had some minor damage that caused them to remove the boats for one or two cruises, IIRC. (And memory does fail). They had to go into restricted 3rd/4th guest bookings for those cruises since they were down the two boats.

Wait, maybe it was they dropped the boats at one island and picked them up again the next time around. Oasis plankowners?

Edited by chengkp75

Most love the "star players' but others love the underrated hard working type that have been with the team for a long time.

The RR"S always show up to games no matter how much the ticket prices or beers go up.

They buy all the over priced merchandise.

No matter how many times they are let down by the franchise they still love and defend them( to friends enemies, message boards) .

No matter how many "mistakes" the "players" make they always welcome them back....

I have never bought a single RCI labeled item in my life.

I have taken cruises on other cruise lines, and if the other cruise lines had a flowrider, my upcoming cruises might be on another line. I like the flowrider and no other cruise line has one.

I have taken lots of vacations that had absolutely nothing to do with RCI.

I only object to people who make statements like the captain should be fired. The anthem cruise was a disaster. Cheerleaders are blind to reality. That kind o thing. I am 100% in favor of finding the truth. If the ship suffered serious damage, I hope to know it happened. Glass breaking and people puking is not a giant deal. Been there done that.

I, also, am not a fan of people on a crusade against something. You might check out the last of my signature, that I don't post often. It applies so very aptly to a lot of the stuff that happens in this forum and in life. CS Lewis was a brilliant man.

JC