Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

I wonder if any of the Voyager or Freedom class ships every sailed for a long period of time (weeks/months) with one of the rotatable pods shut down? My recollection of Indy's pod problem was that it was the center fixipod.

Reason I'm curious is another post I read from chengkp where he mentioned that Anthem needed a tug to approach Cape Liberty because it only had one steering mechanism, and rules require redundancy in steering.

Not sure about RCI ships, Bob, but Carnival had one in Alaska for several months, if I remember right.

I wonder if any of the Voyager or Freedom class ships every sailed for a long period of time (weeks/months) with one of the rotatable pods shut down? My recollection of Indy's pod problem was that it was the center fixipod.

Reason I'm curious is another post I read from chengkp where he mentioned that Anthem needed a tug to approach Cape Liberty because it only had one steering mechanism, and rules require redundancy in steering.

That is a good question. I do think it was Indy's center pod that was down and I think it was the same for Allure 2 or three years ago. I guess if one of the azipods went down then they would have to have tugs standing by at each port. I suspect that is an extra expense?

That is a good question. I do think it was Indy's center pod that was down and I think it was the same for Allure 2 or three years ago. I guess if one of the azipods went down then they would have to have tugs standing by at each port. I suspect that is an extra expense?
RCI O-class have three azipods (I'm pretty sure these are the only RCI ships with 3 azipods; F-class has 3 pods, but only 2 azipods). So it would seem that Allure could lose use of one azipod and still have redundancy, and presumably not be required to have a tug.

RCI O-class have three azipods (I'm pretty sure these are the only RCI ships with 3 azipods; F-class has 3 pods, but only 2 azipods). So it would seem that Allure could lose use of one azipod and still have redundancy, and presumably not be required to have a tug.

Yes, I forgot that Oasis/Allure have three azipods. I guess they can port normally with the loss of any one of them.

I know next to nothing about ships' engines/propulsion/azipods but have one question - can a ship lose all power and what would have happened in a storm like this one, if that had happened?

Short answer is yes, a ship can lose all power. Cruise ships have multiple engine rooms and multiple switchboards to minimize this, but Carnival's ships have proved that design doesn't always work correctly in the real world. From the Carnival Splendor fire, the IMO promulgated the Safe Return to Port regulations which say that a cruise ship can lose one entire engine room, or one propulsion room, and still be able to return to Port under its own power.

To answer your second question, you don't want to know. The Anthem passengers were terrified of the rolling, particularly when the Captain turned the ship around, because once broadside to the seas, the rolling really starts. If a ship loses power, the wind will turn it broadside to the seas, and she will start rolling very, very heavily. However, unless the ship sustains damage to the hull, below the waterline (not real common unless you drift close to shore), the ship will continue to roll over and roll back the other way, and things will fly and people will get hurt. But ships, even damaged ones have survived hurricanes and typhoons while without power. You will definitely wish you had died hours ago, but you will survive.

i get that things break while at sea but am I the only one that think ships shouldn't be allowed to set sail with just one pod.

I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks that. But you can have confidence that the Coast Guard people who make decisions like this one have enough ship and sea knowledge/experience and know the regulations and laws well enough to make an appropriate decision. They don't compromise on safety.

It's natural, after all the fear and trauma you experienced, for you to feel anxious about Anthem sailing again. You won't be on the ship tomorrow, so there's no more danger. You're gonna be fine.:)

Judy

Not sure about RCI ships, Bob, but Carnival had one in Alaska for several months, if I remember right.
It was Carnival Miracle, summer 2014. We sailed in July and our itinerary was changed as a result - we didn't get to Ketchikan but we had additional time in Juneau and Victoria. We had an aft balcony and could see that the wake on one side was weaker than the other. (Can't remember now whether it was port or starboard.) The ship was moderately slower than normal sailing speed but we didn't notice any effect on vibration.

I've been reading this thread because one of my co-workers is sailing on Anthem next month and her SO is a bit nervous about sailing. She's a relatively new cruiser and isn't on CC. We've talked about her cruise, and she's ready to go.

BTW, chengkp75 - DS is over in the "sandbox." Patrol craft, crew of 28.

Edited by nybumpkin

I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks that. But you can have confidence that the Coast Guard people who make decisions like this one have enough ship and sea knowledge/experience and know the regulations and laws well enough to make an appropriate decision. They don't compromise on safety.

It's natural, after all the fear and trauma you experienced, for you to feel anxious about Anthem sailing again. You won't be on the ship tomorrow, so there's no more danger. You're gonna be fine.:)

Judy

Agreed. I would far more trust the USCG with ships than I would the FAA with airplanes!

Edited by loubetti

Short answer is yes, a ship can lose all power. Cruise ships have multiple engine rooms and multiple switchboards to minimize this, but Carnival's ships have proved that design doesn't always work correctly in the real world. From the Carnival Splendor fire, the IMO promulgated the Safe Return to Port regulations which say that a cruise ship can lose one entire engine room, or one propulsion room, and still be able to return to Port under its own power.

To answer your second question, you don't want to know. The Anthem passengers were terrified of the rolling, particularly when the Captain turned the ship around, because once broadside to the seas, the rolling really starts. If a ship loses power, the wind will turn it broadside to the seas, and she will start rolling very, very heavily. However, unless the ship sustains damage to the hull, below the waterline (not real common unless you drift close to shore), the ship will continue to roll over and roll back the other way, and things will fly and people will get hurt. But ships, even damaged ones have survived hurricanes and typhoons while without power. You will definitely wish you had died hours ago, but you will survive.

The design of the Allure and Oasis (open to the rear) brings another dimension to the event. Hurricane force wind entering the back of the ships and the "Central Park" would have created something entirely different.

It was Carnival Miracle, summer 2014. We sailed in July and our itinerary was changed as a result - we didn't get to Ketchikan but we had additional time in Juneau and Victoria. We had an aft balcony and could see that the wake on one side was weaker than the other. (Can't remember now whether it was port or starboard.) The ship was moderately slower than normal sailing speed but we didn't notice any effect on vibration.

I've been reading this thread because one of my co-workers is sailing on Anthem next month and her SO is a bit nervous about sailing. She's a relatively new cruiser and isn't on CC. We've talked about her cruise, and she's ready to go.

BTW, chengkp75 - DS is over in the "sandbox." Patrol craft, crew of 28.

Brown water navy, lot less BS from the brass, everyone does the job, no frills. Love it.

Judy

Thanks. I am sure quantum will be the safest ship on the seas next week.

I just find it very concerning that ships can be allowed to sail with mechanical issues and not have to make their passengers aware of any issues, for example they have lost a pod or something.

If the cruise lines had to make public all mechanical issues I think the seas would be a safer place. There was uproar recently because a ship out of nyc didn't have a functional slide so I can imagine missing a pod might do

Thanks. I am sure quantum will be the safest ship on the seas next week.

I just find it very concerning that ships can be allowed to sail with mechanical issues and not have to make their passengers aware of any issues, for example they have lost a pod or something.

If the cruise lines had to make public all mechanical issues I think the seas would be a safer place. There was uproar recently because a ship out of nyc didn't have a functional slide so I can imagine missing a pod might do

But then again, they didn't "lose" a pod. Even one of the clamored for US agencies looking into the incident said that the pod was shut down as a precaution. And the "uproar" over the Gem's slide was here on CC, where about 2% of cruisers belong, let alone the percentage of the general public.

I was speaking in general. That any ship could be allowed to sail while missing a pod or something else that's important and be under no obligation to notify its customers.

I think someone said they have to notify the CG or some other agency? But are still allowed to sail which seems dangerous to me.

Edited by shaun07

I was speaking in general. That any ship could be allowed to sail while missing a pod or something else that's important and be under no obligation to notify its customers.

I think someone said they have to notify the CG or some other agency? But are still allowed to sail which seems dangerous to me.

Yes, they have to notify the USCG when entering or leaving port, because that's just about as far as US law covers, and because a nation can want to prevent blockage to one of its ports.

You don't like that a ship can sail with one propeller? Then I suggest you petition the IMO, because they and every maritime nation that is signatory to SOLAS, which is 159 nations representing 99% of the world's shipping agree that it is safe to do so.

Yes, they have to notify the USCG when entering or leaving port, because that's just about as far as US law covers, and because a nation can want to prevent blockage to one of its ports.

You don't like that a ship can sail with one propeller? Then I suggest you petition the IMO, because they and every maritime nation that is signatory to SOLAS, which is 159 nations representing 99% of the world's shipping agree that it is safe to do so.

That's a good idea and it could be therapeutic for Shaun to devote himself to a petition drive for his cause.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Just checked RCL website, across the very top it says:

The Anthem of the Seas sailing scheduled for Saturday, February 13, 2016 is departing as planned.

Channel 4 News (NBC NYC) just said that the decision will not be made until tomorrow morning. :eek::eek: That's gotta be really tough on those who still don't know if they're leaving or not. I hope she's able to sail, and that they have a great cruise.

Channel 4 News (NBC NYC) just said that the decision will not be made until tomorrow morning. :eek::eek: That's gotta be really tough on those who still don't know if they're leaving or not. I hope she's able to sail, and that they have a great cruise.

Let's hope she is ready to sail for those getting on tomorrow. If she isn't I suspect she would be a floating hotel for the first night and then hopefully she would sail the next day.

Theoretically the delayed departure might be no different than if she stayed in port to miss a big storm coming up the coast.;) Everyone's cruise starts a day later. I pose this question out loud.... If she doesn't sail as planned but the next day I wonder what the reaction from the guests on board might be like?

Edit: I sure hope she is ready and all on board have an amazing cruise.

Edited by A&L_Ont

As a feb 6th anthem passenger - i see no reason they should not sail - i am sure most of the stuff they could not fix why we where at sea are repaired now and everyone should be comfortable sailing on her - even more so - she can take a licken and keep on sailing. Good ship - have fun do not worry.

As a feb 6th anthem passenger - i see no reason they should not sail - i am sure most of the stuff they could not fix why we where at sea are repaired now and everyone should be comfortable sailing on her - even more so - she can take a licken and keep on sailing. Good ship - have fun do not worry.

With that spirit you will have a great time. If I was there you and your group would have a round on me, but sadly I am not. :(