Bugs in Central Park

Khsh08

Are there mosquitos or other bugs in Central Park on Oasis or other ships? Just curious. My friend always gets eaten alive by mosquitos here on Long Island and she is concerned about Zika Virus so may not be going ashore but I was thinking with the Central Park plant life maybe there are mosquittos there too.

This reminded me of an incident that occurred when we were on the Oasis.

We were docked in Puerto Rico. It was our third time there, so we did not leave the ship. There were maybe 100 or so people that did the same and we were all around the pool. (cocktails in hand, of course).

A Queen Bee landed on one of the loungers...........and yup......THOUSANDS of bees followed. It was so bad, you could not even see the lounger after a few minutes.

Took the crew hours to take care of the problem. So freaky....looked like something out of a horror movie.

They aren't stowaways...they are brought on intentionally as bug control. I had a lengthy conversation with the head gardner/botanist onboard Allure about the critters in Central Park. Never noticed a mosquito though

the gecko must live on something ;)

We were docked in Puerto Rico. It was our third time there, so we did not leave the ship. There were maybe 100 or so people that did the same and we were all around the pool. (cocktails in hand, of course).

A Queen Bee landed on one of the loungers...........and yup......THOUSANDS of bees followed. It was so bad, you could not even see the lounger after a few minutes.

Took the crew hours to take care of the problem. So freaky....looked like something out of a horror movie.

Oh No,,I would freak out. I don't handle bugs well. If it happened to me people would hear my screams from a mile away.:eek:

Just a bee swarm, a common occurrence. We had a swarm on one of our trees several years ago, we called a bee keeper who came and retrieved them. They love people to call them, they get a new hive to keep. I bet that was something to see on a ship though. I have photos of several critters on Allure, but I'm on my laptop and no access to my albums. I'll try to post some later.

Edited by BecciBoo

No bugs but we had a bird fly into our room once while sailing in the middle of the ocean, we had the balcony door open. We were shocked.

you were shocked - think of the bird- it was happily flying over the open ocean feeling the sea breeze in it's feathers - then wham it was captive in a little room that appeared from nowhere in the middle of the sea!!

Are there mosquitos or other bugs in Central Park on Oasis or other ships? Just curious. My friend always gets eaten alive by mosquitos here on Long Island and she is concerned about Zika Virus so may not be going ashore but I was thinking with the Central Park plant life maybe there are mosquittos there too.

Mosquitos are everywhere! Including Florida, where the ship docks. Staying on the ship will not help either because the ship does dock. I would say the risk is pretty low so tell her to have fun, and forget about the little guys.

I got a few mosquito bites when I was on the Allure in November. I'm very prone to them so I am not surprised. I only got off the ship for an excursion in St. Maarten and I already had a few bites before we arrived there. Shrug!

While we were docked in St. Maarten, I did see a TON of butterflies. At least I think they were butterflies.... I'd hate to think they were moths lol! But yes, they were absolutely everywhere, all over the sun decks and all through central park. They were quite beautiful. I tried to research the phenomenon but couldn't find very much so I am not sure if it is common. It was all one type, they were white, and there were probably hundreds of them fluttering all over the ship.

Oh that must have been lovely!

It was very cool. I'm annoyed with myself for not taking any photos, which is unusual for me. I think I may have tried and they didn't come out right. As I was walking out on deck, I thought it was bits of paper or confetti flying around, and then when I got outside I saw they were butterflies.

Oh well. I'll just have to take another cruise to St. Maarten to see if it happens again. 😊

Was a freak event, hasn't happened since and probably won't again....:)

Did not see any the week we were on Allure - did have a seagull think she would make a nest on my balc crusing the pacific just north of LA - made a bit of a mess! thank goodness I did not have my door open or I would have had a bigger mess!