Embarkation times

smileon

Maybe a lot of those people who all arrived very much earlier than the times on their tickets and indeed even before the check-in had opened will have learnt from their experience and will, next time, seek to arrive nearer to their allotted time - and will see the benefits?

Edited by Scriv

Not when all that happens is they have to spend extra time in the terminal waiting to get on the ship, compared with the danger of getting stuck in traffic in the M3 or in Southampton and missing the cruise and wasting thousands of pounds.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

I did say 'many ', Hatters, as there are a lot of people who are not in that category and there is a difference between arriving in good time and hours and hours - and hours - in advance at the terminal.

But yes, it is obviously down to how people are able to arrange their arrival time and how long they want to spend in the terminal.

Edited by Scriv

Not when all that happens is they have to spend extra time in the terminal waiting to get on the ship, compared with the danger of getting stuck in traffic in the M3 or in Southampton and missing the cruise and wasting thousands of pounds.

Absolutely right, having a 185 mile journey we would rather arrive early without worrying about traffic problems. We are happy to wait, either having lunch somewhere in Southampton or sitting in the terminal depending on the time we have to wait before our boarding time.

Absolutely right, having a 185 mile journey we would rather arrive early without worrying about traffic problems. We are happy to wait, either having lunch somewhere in Southampton or sitting in the terminal depending on the time we have to wait before our boarding time.

...now that makes sense! ;)

If you have a 2 hour journey, wouldn't you just build in an hour's delay? We have a journey of 170 miles. We usually leave home at about 9.30, we drop the dogs off with the sitter, that takes half an hour, so on the road at 10 and we always aimed to arrive at 1pm to 1.30. So if we are given a 3.30 checkin, I would adjust that accordingly. We would still arrive an hour before our scheduled checkin and then just wait. But to arrive at 1230 for a 3.30 checkin is just ridiculous.

Mind you we don't sail on anything bigger than Arcadia, so not having to checkin with 3-4000 people!

Edited by jeanlyon

If you have a 2 hour journey, wouldn't you just build in an hour's delay? We have a journey of 170 miles. We usually leave home at about 9.30, we drop the dogs off with the sitter, that takes half an hour, so on the road at 10 and we always aimed to arrive at 1pm to 1.30. So if we are given a 3.30 checkin, I would adjust that accordingly. We would still arrive an hour before our scheduled checkin and then just wait. But to arrive at 1230 for a 3.30 checkin is just ridiculous.

Mind you we don't sail on anything bigger than Arcadia, so not having to checkin with 3-4000 people!

We travel similar distance majority on motorways and allowing an hour isnt enough we left home at 7am with a plan of drive don and stop on way for something to eat. We got on M42 and remained stationary for over 4hrs and couldnt move and finally reached M40 at 1pm and was a panic to get to Southampton which we just managed.

I guess the problem is with a 3.30 check in slot. If I had a 1pm slot I would aim for that time, knowing that if I was an hour or so late I would still get on the ship. That's not the case with a 3.30 slot. A 2 hour delay means the risk of a missed departure. Hence I would aim for a couple of hours earlier. Hence it all means targeting around 1pm or so whatever timeslot I am given.

I guess that means I'm part of the problem. But I'm just happy to read a newspaper and wait my turn.

Thanks to those who have posted about the new arrangements.

In our case, our next cruise starts on Spring BH Sunday - B615. That being a BH we've decided to drive down to Southampton the day before as the traffic could be very bad on the Sunday (we live in Sheffield). That's OK, we'll be in S'ton overnight; but we will have to check out of our hotel at 11am (I think). While I understand the reasons for the policy I'm hoping we won't be faced with a wait until 3:30, say, before we can actually board.

Let's say that was the case - we had a boarding time of 3:30. What would others do in that situation, between 11 o'clock and 3:30pm?

We will have to check out of our hotel at 11am (I think). ... Let's say that was the case - we had a boarding time of 3:30. What would others do in that situation, between 11 o'clock and 3:30pm?

Either leave the cases at the hotel and go and see Southampton, or if it's a completely miserable day and there's nothing to do in the immediate area, stay in the hotel and read a book. Or several. Most hotels have a lounge of some sort, which they won't mind you using after check-out.

Thanks to those who have posted about the new arrangements.

In our case, our next cruise starts on Spring BH Sunday - B615. That being a BH we've decided to drive down to Southampton the day before as the traffic could be very bad on the Sunday (we live in Sheffield). That's OK, we'll be in S'ton overnight; but we will have to check out of our hotel at 11am (I think). While I understand the reasons for the policy I'm hoping we won't be faced with a wait until 3:30, say, before we can actually board.

Let's say that was the case - we had a boarding time of 3:30. What would others do in that situation, between 11 o'clock and 3:30pm?

Where are you staying Tom? We are also departing the same day, but on a different ship. And like you , we are coming up the day before. Most hotels seem to have a midday checkout and i know some of them you can extend that for an hour or two at no charge. And if you cant you can nearly always leave your luggage whilst you go out.

There is also the "cruise lounge" at the Grand harbour hotel - for a fee you cAn pre book this and i understand it is very comfortable - you dont have to be staying at the hotel to book it.

We are planning on making a visit to the Sea city Museum, which i understand is well worth a visit, opens at 10 and is in the City. There is an exhibition called "port out Starboard home - the age of the ocean liner" (from End of March) which looks facinating!

Im sure there will be other things on as it is a bank holiday weekend.

Or failing that book yourselves into the Grand Harbour Hotel cruise lounge.

they do 2 prices dependant on whether you have alcohol or not. You do not have to have stayed in the hotel.

They do 15 minute departure slots to the cruise terminal. You pick the one that suits you best.

As it will have other cruisers in there, you may find others on your cruise.

I hate to burst a few bubbles but it most certainly did not work very well on our Ventura Caribbean cruise N603 from Mayflower. The majority of people turned up between 12:30 and 1:30 leading to massive queues outside the terminal, apparently unheard of at Mayflower according to many taxi drivers.

As usual with CPS parking you needed to wait until a chauffeur was available, although a lack of porters to collect luggage was also causing delays in the car parking area.

Once inside the terminal those Goldies with early embarkation times were given priority cards before embarkation opened or fastrack if they arrived afterwards as did those ordinary mortals who arrived at their allotted time. Everyone else was given an alpha card, regardless of their embarkation time, the waiting area soon filled up and remained so until much later in boarding.

There were repeated delays to check in due to a build up in the security scanning, something that could be resolved if security was first like Celebrity and RCI.

Even so we were onboard within 90 minutes of arriving at 1:15 vs a check in time of 3:30, our cabin was ready but luggage did not arrive until about 4:00pm, muster was delayed from 4:15 until 5:00pm due to the congestion in the terminal.

Perhaps not a major problem but it did create negative comments from lots of passengers, something we never hear on Celebrity. Maybe Mr. Edgington needs to re-think his wonderful new embarkation process and take a leaf out of the experts at Celebrity and RCI.

PS Tin hat now firmly in place!!!!!

I'm a little confused by this post.

I don't think any bubbles have been burst, embarkation times are being enforced, we know that.

Those with priority, and those that arrived at their allotted embarkation time, were fast tracked. I take that to mean they did encounter shorter wait times? (Success):)

People who arrived before their times, were allowed to wait, and were not turned away from the terminal. (Good, that's what many have queried :))

Those waiting were embarked as and when there was the facility to do so. In your case you were onboard about 45 mins before your allotted time. (Excellent, exceeding time scales :))

I do not see how your experience this shows the system is not working.

Arrive at allocated time and you get a better experience, arrive when you choose and except YOU are a contributer to the queues and mayhem, but the staff will do their best to accommodate you.

To me the system is not working if those that stick to the new rules are not being fast tracked and waiting in a general boarding queue. I would be interested to know if that has been the case?

I fully understand why, when you have a journey to port you are going to arrive early, a 3.30 embarkation time is cutting it fine. Those who arrive with the mindset, of at least we are here and we will just wait, will be okay, they are allowed to wait.

The problem comes from those who arrive two and a half hours before their time and get annoyed that there are queues.

Muster was often delayed before the progressive boarding was implemented, I fully get the problems with security, as in there doesn't seem to be enough staff, scanners etc, However, a lot of those issues aren't helped by fellow pax, I have many a time been caught behind those unprepared when it is their "turn". Getting off the bits that "Bing" and emptying pockets takes some folk a while :p

But it's fine, I'm getting on a ship just past those doors :)

I was reassured to read that those arriving at their time were fast tracked. Reading this means I will rethink our usual arrival routine. We only have a two hour journey but allowing for traffic we used to try and arrive early at around midday. Happy to get a coffee (if available) and wait. I think I will now plan to arrive in Southampton at the same sort of time, but find somewhere away from the port to get a light lunch, then head to port to be fast tracked, mid afternoon.

I know the Grand Harbour does a package, but can anyone recommend anywhere to stop with outdoor seating or a good view of the carpark coming in from the Salibury side of Sothampton?

our experience a week ago was mixed, we had a 3pm boarding time, and arrived at the terminal at about 2.15 where we sat in a very slowly moving, and very long line for p&os preferred parking company. We were in this line for around half an hour as we were told *everyone has arrived at once*

Once inside we were given a card an asked to sit down, (it was 15 mins before our time by now) but there were no seats initially, the place was jam packed. After about 20 mins we were called to check in where we waited another 10 minutes or so, and eventually went through security about 10 minutes after our time.

Overall it felt more stressy, i have never seen the terminal that full before! The staff seemed a little frazzled. We did get on around our boarding time though, so that was great. I think there are a few teething problems, but once everyone gets to grips with it i think it will be a better experience.

Hopefully it will be better for our next cruise in November :)

I will be doing my 12th P&O cruise this summer, and I can honestly say I've never once had a problem with arrival and getting onboard. We always leave home at 10am and arrive at around 1pm (once hit bad traffic on the A34 and were about an hour later). Always onboard within about half an hour, having lunch straight away (sometimes a lovely barbeque on deck), then cabin ready and some unpacking before muster. Have we just been very lucky? Admittedly we've only been on the "mid-sized" ships. One of the things I love about cruising is how easy it all is, no hanging around like at airports. I have to say I'm not looking forward to the next one, if I'm going to spend ages hanging around before my holiday starts. I will be furious if I get a 3pm check-in time, especially as I booked as soon as the cruise went on sale.

I will be doing my 12th P&O cruise this summer, and I can honestly say I've never once had a problem with arrival and getting onboard. We always leave home at 10am and arrive at around 1pm (once hit bad traffic on the A34 and were about an hour later). Always onboard within about half an hour, having lunch straight away (sometimes a lovely barbeque on deck), then cabin ready and some unpacking before muster. Have we just been very lucky? Admittedly we've only been on the "mid-sized" ships. One of the things I love about cruising is how easy it all is, no hanging around like at airports. I have to say I'm not looking forward to the next one, if I'm going to spend ages hanging around before my holiday starts. I will be furious if I get a 3pm check-in time, especially as I booked as soon as the cruise went on sale.

Pollypops...i am afraid things have changed. Not sure when your last P &O cruise was, but I have never seen a BBQ on deck on embarkation day in the UK. And you are now given a check in time , and you have to stick to it or be prepared to wait, as has been talked about a lot on this forum. It is still a bit of a mystery how check in times are allocated...allegedly by deck but even that seems random! Certainly not by booking date or type of fare paid. If you have booked a suite you will get an early check in time.

But....I think this is primarily to manage embarkation for the larger ships as the terminals simply could not cope with the large numbers all arriving early. Rumour has it that things are a little better for the smaller ones. I see you are going on Oriana so you may find the wait is not so long if you turn up too early. But you would be wise to arrive near to your time, unless you are happy to wait....

I'm afraid it wasn't overly straightforward for us on our first cruise...

Arrived 14:30 for a 15:00 boarding, can't think this is too early, we can't all arrive to the minute. Given a red card and got to check in at 15:40. On the ship sometime after that.

Terminal was packed. On entering Aurora No one around to direct us. Got to cabin just before muster called.

Not a very relaxing start, but rushed.

Some were still embarking as muster called, so muster was quite long, as we were waiting for everyone to arrive.

Just got our check-in in time for our Ventura cruise in April, yet again we have a 3:30 check in. This is the 3rd time since the new rules that we have had this time so I am convinced me that deck C is not the deck to book for an early check in.

This time it is more of an inconvenience because we are driving down and because of another commitment we can't down the day before. The last time that we have had a 3:30 check-in we went on the coach but being in the car we know that the ship won't wait for us so I guess we will have to drive down early in case there are traffic problems and then find something to do until it is time to board.

The 3:30 check in is terrible in my opinion because you are rushed to get to muster and we didn't get our luggage until after dinner last time.

P&O really need to revisit the check-in issues, right now I am starting to sympathise with the rest of the moaners who want to be able to select a time if they book select. We were waiting to see what happened with this cruise before booking another cruise but OH has just said that we should forget P&O for the next cruise because getting to the ship is just too stressful with a "fixed" check-in time if you have a distance to travel. No-one wants to hang around Southampton city centre with their luggage left in the car but because of the potential of having a serious delay on the motorways there is a strong chance that we will arrive too early to book and will have to hang around somewhere.

A lot of people seem to be arriving earlier to park the car and hand in their luggage earlier..... would that work for you?

It's a thought but we would still be carrying our carry on luggage so not the best thing, though maybe we could hand in the cases then go off in the car to find lunch somewhere or to do a bit of exploring leaving just hand luggage the boot.

I do think this fixed boarding is a pain, we really enjoy our P&O cruises but I am starting to think that all of these little niggles are beginning to add up to be quite a big straw that will break this camel's back. OH is currently looking at Celebrity because we had a really positive boarding experience last year and we enjoyed the cruise but they are a little restrictive with itineraries out of Southampton. I have just been told that my activity this pm is to look if I can find any itinerary that I would like to do with Cunard. This retirement game of looking for cruises is quite time consuming lol.

Some people I know drop off the luggage and go to West Quay, parking in the multi storey car park there and either going to the shops or walk around town or go for lunch. There are several eateries in there, but a favourite of mine is the cafe at the top of John Lewis because you can sit and have a light lunch and keep an eye on your ship.

Another thing I have done is to park near Town Quay in the castle walls area near St Michael's Church. There are a few pubs around there and a nice location in the castle walls and you can see ships.

Enjoy looking at itineraries this afternoon ;)

Edited by Scriv

Equally under the old system people might not have had a 3.30pm check in, but as everyone just turned up in a blob from about 11.30 am onwards( I have sat on our balcony on b2b and watched them turn up then) you would still have had crowded terminals and q's everywhere.

If P and O get it work you may find that all the other lines out of Southampton may be pushed to do similar.

OH thought once we reach next tier we ought to try another line, purely so we are not always with P and O.

I have looked at Celebrity, but very few cruises from Southampton, so not tons of choice, and they do not have formal nights. I like the dressing up part so not sure I want to be one of the few still dressing up.

I have looked at Cunard, twice we have booked with them, and twice we have transferred the booking over to P and O. I just don't think I am ready for them yet.

I will not be looking at NCL or RC....way too far for me.

Oceania do maybe 2/3 cruises from Southampton, maybe that will be our next stop. not too sure what the dress codes are, but the ships look nice.

Like you, we really like sailing from Southampton - admittedly because we live nearby and we really like the formal dining on P&O and feel very happy and comfortable with P&O.

We have tried Cunard, albeit on a mini cruise involving flying home from Hamburg and discovered that flying back after a cruise is definitely not for us. We also didn't quite 'take' to Cunard even though the experience was indeed a very enjoyable and elegant one, but we felt rather impersonal.

All very personal really.... but I wouldn't be surprised if Cunard soon followed suit with this embarkation regime.

Edited by Scriv