Embarkation times

smileon

B and C decks appear to be disaster areas as far as getting reasonable embarkation times is concerned. I have booked on E deck on Azura for April 1st and got 1.30 which I find quite acceptable. I am b to b on the 8th April so I shan't be getting off!

By the next cruise in August I'll be Caribbean Tier, so should get an early time.

I have to say though, if I got these 3.30 times every cruise I WOULD be looking elsewhere.

Equally under the old system people might not have had a 3.30pm check in, but as everyone just turned up in a blob from about 11.30 am onwards( I have sat on our balcony on b2b and watched them turn up then) you would still have had crowded terminals and q's everywhere.

If P and O get it work you may find that all the other lines out of Southampton may be pushed to do similar.

OH thought once we reach next tier we ought to try another line, purely so we are not always with P and O.

I have looked at Celebrity, but very few cruises from Southampton, so not tons of choice, and they do not have formal nights. I like the dressing up part so not sure I want to be one of the few still dressing up.

I have looked at Cunard, twice we have booked with them, and twice we have transferred the booking over to P and O. I just don't think I am ready for them yet.

I will not be looking at NCL or RC....way too far for me.

Oceania do maybe 2/3 cruises from Southampton, maybe that will be our next stop. not too sure what the dress codes are, but the ships look nice.

If you like the P&O product but are disappointed with the checking in process, which to be fair has been caused by two factors; firstly greater numbers of people arriving extremely early and secondly the ships carry greater numbers of passengers.

I should look at Princess Cruises, similar ships to P&O Azura and Ventura. If you have completed five cruises with P&O you can get "Preferred Check-In" with "no waiting in line" as the Americans put it. Out of UK ports they have Formal Nights which are well supported. Prices are a bit higher but come down on special offers nearer sailing date.

Regards John

Last cruise I arrived slightly early and took time with getting cases to the correct Hole in the Wall gang. Wandered up the slope towards check in area, ten minutes ahead of my time. I showed my e-tickets to the girls and they said I was due to check in and gave me the plastic letter. It was the next one to that being displayed. There were a few seats available but I said to my daughter we wont sit down we can just walk towards the woman that collects the plastic letters back in. Before we got to her our letter was called and we made it there easily.

I think this is how it is supposed to work. You are given a time, if you stick to it you get speeded through if you turn up excessively early they hold you back because it is impossible to process everybody immediately. It is a sort of carrot and stick approach. I recommend the carrot route.

Regards John

For goodness sake, you are going to ruin your whole cruise because of a later check in? It doesn't bother me what check in I get. If it's early fine, if it's later fine. I refuse to let a little thing like that bother me.

For goodness sake, you are going to ruin your whole cruise because of a later check in? It doesn't bother me what check in I get. If it's early fine, if it's later fine. I refuse to let a little thing like that bother me.

Jean I have never said that my cruise will be ruined so please do not put words into my mouth. Like a lot of people I have to look at the bigger picture and at the moment P&O are making the overall cruise experience less special in several ways so we have to decide when to say enough is enough and move on. I will however enjoy my cruise regardless of getting a late check-in again.

My problem is that regardless of whether or not the check-in is late or early we have to leave home at the same time because the journey involves motorways which seem to have problems on a daily basis, last week the M6 south of us was closed everyday for several hours because of accidents. If we have an early check-in and we are held up then we arrive late but still get on the ship, if we have a later check-in and do not build a couple of hours contingency into the journey and then get held up we arrive in Southampton after the ship has sailed.

On our next cruise from Southampton, we have an embark time of 2:30pm. As I am on holiday from the moment the cases are in the car, I'm not too bothered. We always factor in little 'treats' during the journey so now I have extra time for 'treats'. We'll enjoy a light lunch in a local restaurant, with a good bottle of vino and we plan to saunter in the direction of the terminal c.2:15pm. IMHO, all that's needed is a change of mindset.

If P and O get it work you may find that all the other lines out of Southampton may be pushed to do similar.

Not the US lines. The Americans would not stand for it. Unfortunately it seems most Brits capitulate so P&O get away with it. When checking in for Celebrity or Royal at Southampton there are about 50% more check in desks open. We've found the disabled check in for P&O to be woefully overwhelmed at times unlike with the slick check in with US lines. Clearly P&O don't want to pay for that level of service so they place restrictions on passengers. We've been checking in with Celebrity and Royal around 10.45 numerous times. The terminal was quiet and things flowed. That earlier check in opening time also helps ease the passenger load over longer times. P&O restrictions on boarding times have nothing to do with making things better for passengers and everything to do with cutting costs.

Royal thought out of the box with their larger Anthem of the Seas check in and let people select a check in time online in advance that suited them, subject to availability, so on a first come first served basis, it worked like a dream for us.

They way I look at it, we've paid for 14 nights, 14 dinners, 14 Breakfasts and 14 lunches, not 13 lunches with P&O and the additional cost of a lunch in Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not the US lines. The Americans would not stand for it. Unfortunately it seems most Brits capitulate so P&O get away with it. When checking in for Celebrity or Royal at Southampton there are about 50% more check in desks open. We've found the disabled check in for P&O to be woefully overwhelmed at times unlike with the slick check in with US lines. Clearly P&O don't want to pay for that level of service so they place restrictions on passengers. We've been checking in with Celebrity and Royal around 10.45 numerous times. The terminal was quiet and things flowed. That earlier check in opening time also helps ease the passenger load over longer times. P&O restrictions on boarding times have nothing to do with making things better for passengers and everything to do with cutting costs.

Royal thought out of the box with their larger Anthem of the Seas check in and let people select a check in time online in advance that suited them, subject to availability, so on a first come first served basis, it worked like a dream for us.

They way I look at it, we've paid for 14 nights, 14 dinners, 14 Breakfasts and 14 lunches, not 13 lunches with P&O and the additional cost of a lunch in Southampton.

How can P&O have mor check in points when they are all manned now. ???

How can P&O have mor check in points when they are all manned now. ???

The terminal Celebrity/Royal use has more check in desks and all are manned. The check in personnel are not employed by the cruise line but by the port authority. The US lines pay for more check in staff.

Couldn't agree more

The average P&O passenger is prepared to put up with this so they will go for the cheapest option

When we started cruising it was wonderful to avoid the airport check in experience, be able to check in over about 5 hours so take the panic out of rushing to the airport and worrying about roads.

Now this is worse. At least at the airport there are bars and restaurants on site. The cruise terminals are sorely lacking.

And I am not starting my holding by making myself a packed lunch.

We travel by taxi and your options for stopping off are severely limited

If only Celebrity would send another ship to Southampton - life would be good!

It worked amazingly on our Anthem cruise last September. Took about 1 minute to check in.

How do they manage to get Anthem boarded much quicker than P&O's smaller ships I wonder ?

Where are you staying Tom? We are also departing the same day, but on a different ship. And like you , we are coming up the day before. Most hotels seem to have a midday checkout and i know some of them you can extend that for an hour or two at no charge. And if you cant you can nearly always leave your luggage whilst you go out.

There is also the "cruise lounge" at the Grand harbour hotel - for a fee you cAn pre book this and i understand it is very comfortable - you dont have to be staying at the hotel to book it.

We are planning on making a visit to the Sea city Museum, which i understand is well worth a visit, opens at 10 and is in the City. There is an exhibition called "port out Starboard home - the age of the ocean liner" (from End of March) which looks facinating!

Im sure there will be other things on as it is a bank holiday weekend.

We're booked into the Novotel for the Saturday night. Our parking is with CPS - we're on a Select booking so we chose the free parking as our freebie.

A few other people have said that they drop off luggage early, then go away and return nearer their embarkation time. Can I ask for some clarification about that, please? Is there parking while they're doing that? - we'll be leaving from the Ocean terminal.

The terminal Celebrity/Royal use has more check in desks and all are manned. The check in personnel are not employed by the cruise line but by the port authority. The US lines pay for more check in staff.

You can't have more check in staff if there are no more seats.

How do they manage to get Anthem boarded much quicker than P&O's smaller ships I wonder ?

Get people off the ship very early and do not have the cabins ready. Keep the cabin areas locked off so no one can just drop their hand luggage.

We're booked into the Novotel for the Saturday night. Our parking is with CPS - we're on a Select booking so we chose the free parking as our freebie.

A few other people have said that they drop off luggage early, then go away and return nearer their embarkation time. Can I ask for some clarification about that, please? Is there parking while they're doing that? - we'll be leaving from the Ocean terminal.

There is nothing to stop you driving in like you are a taxi, or private hire car, and stopping at the drop off point. Your passenger could easily temporarily alight unload cases and deposit them with the porters or the hole in the wall. Just after that, immediately return to car and then you drive back out the terminal to the main road and go and find a hotel, restaurant etc. which allows parking while you eat lunch.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Most of the staff at Southampton, no matter which terminal you check in at or which company you are travelling with, use the same staff.

Its odd that depending on the brand from the Carnival group it ends up being so different, when boarding.

Obviously it is dependant on the pursers and officers of the particular line you are using must make it or break it !

Oh dear lord :rolleyes: How penny-pinching are you? When we go on our annual week-long fly-and-flop holiday, we have 7 lunches, 7 dinners and 6 breakfasts. As it is an early return flight on our final day, the taxi collects us just before breakfast service. Do I care? No, I don't. I have had a brilliant time in a wonderful hotel and I return home refreshed and raring to go. I most certainly do not feel that I've been 'cheated' out of a meal.