Dipping my toes in the Princess water...

TheGinBoy

Hi Guys,

Happy Friday!

So, I've been cruising for about nine years now, and in that time I've done six cruises. All with Royal Caribbean, from their tiny Vision class up to the huge Freedom class.

As much as I loved, and still love Royal Caribbean, I fancied trying something new (well they do say variety is the spice of life!). So I thought I'd give Princess a go.

I booked a three-night short cruise from Southampton on the Emerald Princess (23 April 2016) as an anniversary surprise for myself and my boyfriend. Unfortunately he dumped me last week. Woo. :-/

I'm still going (who'd waste a cruise!!?) but now I'm going to take one of my best friends with me - he's new to cruising so should be interesting.

We're both 30, gay, enjoy a drink and a dance. I know Princess generally have a slightly more mature crowd than Royal Caribbean (don't hit me!) but I can make anywhere I go fun.

So I have a few questions for you Princess gurus!

1)
Is there anything I mustn't miss on Emerald Princess? Any unique features to this ship or the class I should try out?

2)
What venues should we hit? I know there are loads and we only have three nights. I'm pretty excited about Skywalkers.

3)
What's the deal with drinks packages? I've had trouble finding UK info on them. I'd probably get us whatever package allows unlimited cocktails.

4)
Is there likely to be a formal on a three night Princess cruise? I know Royal wouldn't do one on this short a cruise. But I want to be prepared.

5)
Any other top Princess tips :)

I AM A GIANT EAR FOR YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM.

Edited by TheGinBoy

Welcome to Princess.

I can't help you too much, here is what I know:

3. the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP) give you cocktails, beer, wine, and non-alcoholic drinks. It is about $50per day per person. a 15% gratuity is added to the cost. Covers drinks under $10. If drink cost more you pay the excess.

4. No formal night on 3 night cruise.

I assume you have change the name on your travel companion's reservation.

Welcome to Princess.

I can't help you too much, here is what I know:

3. the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP) give you cocktails, beer, wine, and non-alcoholic drinks. It is about $50per day per person. a 15% gratuity is added to the cost. Covers drinks under $10. If drink cost more you pay the excess. Actually - if a drink is over $10.00 you pay the entire drink price plus gratuity. Thankfully there are not many drinks over $10.00. You also get 40% off bottles of wine up to $100.00. The total for the package is $56.35 (US) a day. It also covers the brewed coffee and fancier espresso type drinks at the International Cafe.

4. No formal night on 3 night cruise.

I assume you have change the name on your travel companion's reservation.

See Red type above, too

We always try to board as early as possible and go to the MDR that is open for lunch, usually only till 1;30. Most crew will try to steer you towards the Buffet, but look at you Princess Patter and it will note which MDR is open for the Boarding Lunch. Less hectic than the HC and great way to start the cruise.

If you are in the Piazza area around 3:30 PM there will be a cart serving hot, freshly baked, cookies and cold milk. A nice afternoon treat.

I enjoy having a cocktail before dinner in Adagios. I think a lot of passengers don't know it's there. On a short cruise, there may be a "dress to impress" night. It's not mandatory, but if you like dressing up, you can be prepared for it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of passengers took your cruise back-to-back with the one preceding or the one following it.

Thank you for the hints, tips and replies so far. $56 (£38) per day for the drinks package is comparable to the RCI premium package so I'm happy enough with that.

That $10 limit should cover me on a decent gin martini, no?

Keep your tips, tricks and hints coming. Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Thank you for the hints, tips and replies so far. $56 (£38) per day for the drinks package is comparable to the RCI premium package so I'm happy enough with that.

One difference between Princess All-inclusive beverage package and RCIs Premium package is that Princess's package includes ANY drink $10 and under - including all specialty coffees and teas, sodas, milkshakes, bottled water (sparkling and still), plus cocktails, shots, wines by the glass, etc... Whereas RCIs premium package doesn't include specialty coffees and teas, sparkling water, juices, etc. So, big bonus on Princess package...

We cruise both lines also, and overall prefer Princess for a more laid back experience, somewhat more traditional experience, etc. We've found demographics similar, especially on shorter cruises - the somewhat older demographic comes onto play with Princesses longer sailings and more unique itineraries. We're late night dancers, etc and thoroughly enjoy Skywalkers! (currently 37&41 years old, been sailing Princess since 28)

Have a great time!

Covers my Hendricks every time. :)

Have a Great Cruise!!

Will definitely cover your gin martini and any other you'd like. I've shared the Crooner's martini menu on another thread. Princess Beverage Package Evaluator

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576 (post 539).

We'll be on the same cruise, so might see you there and Skywalkers too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also want to mention when you have the Liquor Sticker (All Inclusive Beverage Package) it's for an unlimited number of drinks. :D

Almost all drinks are $10 or less. You'll have no problem getting your martinis of choice. Crooners is the official martini bar and makes great ones. :)

Edited by OCruisers

The Emerald is beautiful. We've sailed on her twice. Have sailed on 5 other cruise lines and Princess is our favorite. I'm betting you'll book another Princess cruise following this one. If you find you like your Princess experience consider putting down a $100 deposit toward a future cruise. You have 2 years to take any cruise they offer. If you don't find one, your deposit is fully refundable. The deposit will earn you onboard credit on that future cruise. Have a great cruise. Our next one doesn't set sail for 546 days. :(