Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

As I recall, they found the Azipod under the ship near the back end.

*Groooooan!* :D If anyone on board asks if they have Prince Albert in a can, we'll know it's you.

(On the Norwegian Majesty in 2009, an elevator was briefly closed, and one of the crew made announcements routing passengers to other ones. "If you're on Deck 7, please use the elevators or the stairs outside the MDR...if you're on Deck 8 or 9, there are stairwells next to the galleria and elevator banks forward and aft...

...and if you're on Deck 10, you're in a helicopter, because we haven't got a Deck 10!")

A forecast last Thursday night (Feb 4) from the NWS Ocean Prediction Center said that by Sunday night, the Atlantic Ocean off the Carolinas would experience winds up to 50 knots (57.5 mph) and seas up to to 31 feet. By Saturday afternoon, forecasts were calling for 65 knot (75 mph)winds and seas to 11.5 meters (about 38 feet) by noon Sunday.

The Anthem has highly multiple sophisticated meteorological systems aboard.

On Saturday has was fully aware the monster was growing, (barometric pressure falling, isobars getting tighter and a defined "eye" was forming.

He knew this on SATURDAY. Armed with the information that the beast was growing, he just headed right into it.

On Sunday at 1 or 2, he could have turned around. pressure system

capture3.jpg?resize=800%2C548

Where is the map from Thursday that you are quoting? You post a map from Sunday at 4:30 after the storm had already strengthened. I would like to see the map from when they set out to sea.

They could stay in port with everyone on board while fixes continue.

First of all I don't think the passengers signed up for that. Second, this is true only if the ship does not need to be taken out of the water. Given the azipod is under water, I'm not sure it can be fixed while floating.

First of all I don't think the passengers signed up for that. Second, this is true only if the ship does not need to be taken out of the water. Given the azipod is under water, I'm not sure it can be fixed while floating.

Update...they repaired the azipod from inside. https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard...Captain.com%29

Edited by cruisenfever

Given the azipod is under water, I'm not sure it can be fixed while floating.

The problem is a burned out clutch in the port azipod. They are currently replacing all clutches in both azipods as precaution as we sit here discussing this while the ship is floating in water.

If you have ever been in something that was tilting that you think should not be tilting, 10 degrees feels like 45 degrees and 20 degrees feels like 80 degrees.

If the ship had tilted 45 degrees, more than four people would have been injured.

Very wet too. Ships can't go 45 degrees. Not sure about this class, but I remember Explorer class can go a bit over 30 before it goes over

Very wet too. Ships can't go 45 degrees. Not sure about this class, but I remember Explorer class can go a bit over 30 before it goes over

At a Captain's Corner on the Quantum, the ship engineer mentioned that the class was designed for up to a 45 degree list. In another thread, a passenger on the ship talked to the Captain who told him the max list on the Feb 6 sailing was 22 degrees.

It now appears that the Feb 13 cruise will not go forward as planned ...

Link to nbcnewyork deleted

After the misinformation that has been reported on TV, you actually take a story from their website as gospel?

Edited by MisterBill99

I not only "would" take my family on the February 13 sailing, I AM taking my family on that sailing -- and plan to be enjoying pina coladas and love connections (the drink, I mean -- although. . . . ) all week long under the steady hand of a seasoned captain.

Enjoy your work week, folks.

I see you like conspiracies. I suggest you stick with antivaxing and chemtrails.

I am a meteorologist and an avid cruiser. There is NO WAY the Capt should have sailed anywhere close to that storm. I worked Saturday, it was well forecast and the severity was no surprise. Total negligence.

I am a meteorologist and an avid cruiser. There is NO WAY the Capt should have sailed anywhere close to that storm. I worked Saturday, it was well forecast and the severity was no surprise. Total negligence.

Where do you work and where did you get your degree? Not trying to be argumentative, but you are possibly the billionth person to pop up with that claim in these threads.

Where is the map from Thursday that you are quoting? You post a map from Sunday at 4:30 after the storm had already strengthened. I would like to see the map from when they set out to sea.

Very nice-I`ve not said one nasty thing to any yet I get slings and arrows.

The below link will allow you to see what this skipper saw as it developed from early on the 6th. You can go frame by frame and watch the pressure drop and isobars narrow. I`m not a 1000' ships master, but I do drive a 30+`cruiser with radar and my crew`s safety is my responsibility. Could he have turned around, ducked into the Chesapeake, hauled tail out to sea I don`t know, but clearly he saw a monster coming and kept heading south.

Pay particular attention to 0240 07 Feb-developing hurricane force-Goodbye RCI thread.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Loops/?select1=Atlc&select2=watlsfc&select3=7&select4=normal&select6=Script

Update...they repaired the azipod from inside. https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard...Captain.com%29

The expert is the one who claims it will cost the most and take the longest. I don't personally think the ship will leave on time tomorrow. However, I do acknowledge that I might end up being proved wrong. So just in case I ordered a flame proof suit from Amazon and had it shipped overnight with Saturday delivery.

“At this time all repairs appear to be on track and all systems tests are progressing satisfactorily,” according to the Coast Guard. “However, if anything is discovered during testing, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port will not allow the ship to sail from Bayonne until both Coast Guard and Bahamas Maritime Authorities are satisfied. The vessel will not be cleared to leave the port until all safety of life at sea requirements are met.”

https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard-crews-working-to-repair-broken-azipod-on-storm-damaged-anthem-of-the-seas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29

The problem is a burned out clutch in the port azipod. They are currently replacing all clutches in both azipods as precaution as we sit here discussing this while the ship is floating in water.

I've got a car with more miles on it than the Anthem has, and I still have the original clutch. Tell the captain to quit riding the clutch.

Obviously they don't know what 45 degrees is. I read it was 11 max

If you are in something that you believe should not be tilting, ten degrees of tilt feels like 45 degrees and twenty degrees of tilt feels like eighty degrees.

Very nice-I`ve not said one nasty thing to any yet I get slings and arrows.

The below link will allow you to see what this skipper saw as it developed from early on the 6th. You can go frame by frame and watch the pressure drop and isobars narrow. I`m not a 1000' ships master, but I do drive a 30+`cruiser with radar and my crew`s safety is my responsibility. Could he have turned around, ducked into the Chesapeake, hauled tail out to sea I don`t know, but clearly he saw a monster coming and kept heading south.

Pay particular attention to 0240 07 Feb-developing hurricane force-Goodbye RCI thread.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Loops/?select1=Atlc&select2=watlsfc&select3=7&select4=normal&select6=Script

Sorry, You are correct. Not trying to start something. The one you post was from Sunday. Is there one available from Saturday when they departed. I was hoping to see the difference and what it looked like then.

A ship can go 45 degrees and then right itself. In fact, it is a SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) requirement.

How far can a cruise ship lean over to one side and still recover?

Pretty far, though most passengers will likely never experience the extreme.

Cruise ships can list a lot so they can withstand heavy waves, said Teijo Niemela, editor and publisher of the "Cruise Business Review," which follows cruise ship design.

In extreme cases, a ship can actually list 60 degrees and recover, Burke said. (An angle of 90 degrees would be the ship lying on its side.)

"If you've ever been on a ship that's listing 20 degrees, you almost can't walk on the ship. Walking up a 20 degree slope is like mountain climbing," Burke said.

"So if a ship heels more than that, your real problem is that you're going to get thrown off your feet and a lot of equipment and furniture is going to break loose and go flying around. So the possibility of injury is very high when that happens. But the ship should right itself without any problem."

The biggest roll Burke has ever experienced during his time at sea was 45 degrees, he said. "I really don't want to go through that again."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/05/cruise.ship.safety/