Southern Caribbean question

papaflamingo

I know there are lots of posts on these islands, but I am trying to look at tours and need some input on 4 of them. We will be traveling on Serenade to Antigua, Tortola, St. Kitts, and Dominica. I would like to do 1 or 2 snorkeling tours and have one each picked out for each island. Since I don't want to overdo it, I was wondering of the 4 islands mentioned, which would be best for just hanging around town, or trying to do non-beach stuff? And what are some suggestions.

I know this should go on the Port Call board, but I didn't want to put it up 4 times (each port) so hoping some people have some good ideas. Additionally any info on catamaran tours for the 4 islands mentioned would sure help.

Thanks.

Even if you are not inclined to post, the port of call section is where you should go.

No need, actually, to even post.

Just take a few minutes to read the first page or so for each destination.

All the best tours and activities (including catamaran tours) in all the islands have already been discussed.

Yes, somebody has done the research for you already, all that is needed is to read a bit

I would definitely make Antigua one of your beach/snorkelling days as there are so many beautiful beaches there .From what I remember Tortola has a nice area around the port with shops dotted about. The other two ports I haven't been to, but will be stopping at St Kitts on my November cruise and there looks to be a few interesting tours other than the beach.

I know there are lots of posts on these islands, but I am trying to look at tours and need some input on 4 of them. We will be traveling on Serenade to Antigua, Tortola, St. Kitts, and Dominica. I would like to do 1 or 2 snorkeling tours and have one each picked out for each island. Since I don't want to overdo it, I was wondering of the 4 islands mentioned, which would be best for just hanging around town, or trying to do non-beach stuff? And what are some suggestions.

I know this should go on the Port Call board, but I didn't want to put it up 4 times (each port) so hoping some people have some good ideas. Additionally any info on catamaran tours for the 4 islands mentioned would sure help.

Thanks.

Another option is if you are signed up on the Roll Call for your Cruise ask on that forum. There are usually repeat Cruisers and you'll find some that have been to your ports that will be able to make a few suggestions or recommendations to assist you on tours, places to go or other must do's.

Edited by davekathy

Tortola has the nicest beaches in the Caribbean IMHO-- Dont for get to try the 'pain killers'

Dominica has some good snorkeling (champagne reef tour thru Royal was really nice)

Only beach we did not enjoy was St Kitts

...traveling on Serenade to Antigua, Tortola, St. Kitts, and Dominica. I would like to do 1 or 2 snorkeling tours and have one each picked out for each island...
Champagne Reef in Dominica is different and interesting with all the bubbles from underwater vents. We did it with our own snorkel equipment as part of a privately arranged (on CC) island tour. A small charge (?$2?) to enter the area. Can be reached by taxi from Roseau, but our tour included a hike in the mountains to a swimming hole and an overview of the island.

On St. Kitts I recommend a tour that includes Brimstone Fortress.

Thom

Tortola - I highly recommend a tour to the Baths. Very cool and you can snorkel too. Snorkeling not he best but exploring the rock formations and enjoying the beach are great.

St. Kitts - was a great beach stop for us. Water might have been a bit rough for snorkeling

Dominica - definitely schedule the Roseau Valley Treasures with Levi Baron @ Bumping Tours. Snorkel the Champange reef, visit the Titou Gorge and dip in the hot springs, this was the absolute highlight of our cruise!

Antigua - has great beaches, we primarily go to Hawks bill for the private secluded beach bay but every one we have been to has been awesome, people on our cruises seemed to enjoy the snorkeling there

St Kitts: We did a great catamaran sail/snorkel with a beach break at Nevis the last time we were there - I believe we booked it through RCI.

Domenica: I agree with the post above on taking the tour with Levi Baron & Bumpiing tours.

Antigua: we did the Eco Tour with Adventure Antigua - included some snorkeling, beach time and exploring on a couple different islands. Loved it!

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Riff Sniff

I would definitely say Antigua - no question amazing - at Buck Island. I recommend Big Beard's - and Tortola at the Baths also tremendous and right off the beach in Virgin Gorda.

I also like snorkeling at Dominica at Champagne Reef as part of a larger excursion. For that port, I HIGHLY recommend Bumpiing Tours. I've gone with them twice. Cannot say enough good things about Levi and his tours.

You didn't ask, but at St. Kitts, I also highly recommend Royston's tour. I've been to St. Kitts more than once and used the guides recommended on this site. I found Royston to be by far the best.

Edited by printingchick

Antigua has the best beaches. 365 of them. You could do the tour with Lawrence of Antigua. He is great. He'll drop you at Valley Church beach after all the sightseeing. Very nice beach although I have no snorkeled there.

St Kitts beaches are just OK IMO. I would do the tour with Thenford Grey. Just google his name and it will come up.

As others have said, the Ports of Call will help.

For a non-beach day, try the Papillote Wilderness Retreat and Tropical Gardens in Trafalgar Roseau, Dominica (http://www.papillotegardens.org). We went there and it was magnificent. It was not a ship's tour so I had to book it myself. I have never before seen such flora. Flowering trees, tropical fruit, hot springs, hundreds of hummingbirds and the most amazing lunch. It was a day I will never forget!

For a non-beach day, try the Papillote Wilderness Retreat and Tropical Gardens in Trafalgar Roseau, Dominica (http://www.papillotegardens.org). We went there and it was magnificent. It was not a ship's tour so I had to book it myself. I have never before seen such flora. Flowering trees, tropical fruit, hot springs, hundreds of hummingbirds and the most amazing lunch. It was a day I will never forget!

Thanks for the idea. Will certainly look into it. One of our friends sailing with us in Landscape and that would be right up his alley.

I would definitely say Antigua - no question amazing - at Buck Island. I recommend Big Beard's - and Tortola at the Baths also tremendous and right off the beach in Virgin Gorda.

I also like snorkeling at Dominica at Champagne Reef as part of a larger excursion. For that port, I HIGHLY recommend Bumpiing Tours. I've gone with them twice. Cannot say enough good things about Levi and his tours.

You didn't ask, but at St. Kitts, I also highly recommend Royston's tour. I've been to St. Kitts more than once and used the guides recommended on this site. I found Royston to be by far the best.

We are doing Royston tours in April. Looks like a really good time. Glad you liked it, most reviews of him are excellent.

Just did this. We took a catamaran tour in Tortola over to JVD for snorkeling, lunch and painkillers, took the "a taste of St. Kitts" walking tour of restaurants around town (yum), did the cooking with Daria ship's excursion, and the creole lobster tour for snorkeling, a grilled lobster lunch on Birds Island and a fast, wind in your hair return to the ship. All were great.

Thanks.

Antigua = Fly into the volcano = http://www.caribbeanhelicopters.com/new/376/tours/montserrat-volcano-tour/

I don't know if you are looking at ships tours or private tours, but I really liked the See Antigua by Sea tour offered by RCI. Great snorkeling and food.

Thanks. That is one of the tours I was interested in.

Also many thanks again for some great option ideas. Really appreciate all the input.

Buck island is in USVI. Great snorkeling though.

I missed the original post abt. Buck Isl. in this thread, but will point out that there are TWO Buck Islands in the USVI--and both are marine reserves, but very different!

One is just off Charlotte Amelie in St. Thomas: aka as Turtle Cove, it tends to be overrun with snorkelers--usually 4+ boats at any given time. Visibility usually not so hot, but you're quite likely to see a turtle.

The other is off St Croix, is much less trafficked--never been there with another boat--and usually has much better visibility, along with a much greater range of corals and fish.

PS--St Kitts doesn't actually have much in the way of beaches, unless they're manmade. Nor does Dominica.

Edited by sofietucker