Transatlantic - climate

per

The weather is totally unpredictable as you well know. It can be rough but the captain can change course a couple hundred miles to seek better weather. Have had sun every day on two TAs and terrible weather on another for a day and a half. The good part is you are going against the weather so bad weather does not last very long. Temps were moderate and a light jacket on deck was welcome. Never very hot or cold because of the water temp.

That time of year on that course it can be just about anything! And we are being serious, having done this type of cruise numerous times. If you are lucky you will have good weather with temps varying from about 18 -25. As you near the US, temps could increase to around 28. Then again, you could have some storms, cloudy rainy weather, etc. This is the kind of cruise we always recommend packing "layers" of clothes so you can simply add or remove garments to fit the weather. You can easily check the long range forecasts for Barcelona before you leave home, and that should give you some hint of the first few days.

Hank

Our TA last November from Rome to Miami was glorious sunshine and calm seas most of the way across the Atlantic.

We had temperatures up to high 80's.

2 previous TA's, we'd had cooler weather and rocky oceans, however, they both left from Southampton, so hopefully you'll do better than that.

We have done 2 TAs .One in April Ft Lauderdale to Rome & one Nov 5th Rome to Ft Lauderdale . In both cases the Med was choppy ;but ,not rough . Once we hit the southern Atlantic ,it was like a mirror all the way in & that was both cruises . Were we lucky ,perhaps . Temps were great as well ,not hot nor cold ,just right:D

We took that same cruise fall of 2014. It was a bit cool - 50s - in the mornings, warming up to maybe the low 70s while we were in Spain. We had some rain and it was warmer in the Canary Islands.

It was actually really moderate and nice, with pool people enjoying the pool (I'm not a pool person) all the way across the ocean.

Just bring a couple long sleeve shirts and a couple varying weights of jackets. Our must-have is a hooded lightweight hip length Gore Tex jacket from Cabela's. It goes everywhere with us, takes almost no space and weighs just a few ounces.

I brought a couple long cotton slacks (those cargo kind that Chico's sells) and some tees. A few pair capris. Leave the tees with slogans on them at home. I always think the idea is to blend in and not look like a tourist. In Spain we found even the most casually dressed are well put together. It may be that way in Norway too, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious to you. I do know I saw some people in Spain who really stuck out and made themselves a target for all kind of potential mayhem (pickpockets abound there).

I do hope it works into your plans to go ahead 2-3 days and see Barcelona and the surrounding area. We stayed at the Room Mate Pau, a very centrally-located hotel. It was just perfect for us and we could walk most places. We got tickets ahead of time on Viator for La Sagrada de Familia, and chose to do that on the day we flew in. It helped to keep us up and awake on that day. The hotel recommended a great paella place for dinner right on the Mediterranean, and the next day we have a great trip with Roll Call people up to Montserrat and a cava vineyard. Wonderful day. We used Barcelona Day Tours and Spain Day Tours (same company) for all our tours on this TA and I'd use them again. Guides were very fluent in English and we never had more than 10 in our group.

Edited by ClaudiaB

We have done 4TA's, 3 westbound, 2 southern route and one northern route last Nov on Eclipse This sailing really differed from the sailing in 2014 which was so rough they had to bypass Bermuda. The 4th was eastbound, northern in April. All of our sailings were in very calm seas, but there is no guarantee. If you are concerned that you might have a problem, get your Dr to prescribe the patches (scopolamine) for you.

On the westbound constellation TA this year, on our last C day I could not even sit by the pool because it was so incredibly hot and humid. It was stifling even with the ship moving at normal speed. We had a couple of days of clouds, and at one point we diverted about 100 miles to go around A storm. You really just don't ever know but it's always an adventure

What weather and temperatures should one expect on the voyage from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, starting October 25?

My best guesses is;

At Gardermoen before your flight to BCN there is going to be a lot of fog, and some delay because of that ;)

In Barcelona there is going to be no snow or fog, and like a summerday here in Norway.

If you got a balcony, you can use it almost every day,

It going to be a little rocky when you get by Gibraltar, and better when you pass the area around Madeia/Azorene.

And when you get to Fort Lauderdale is going to hot like in a "steikovn"...)

Most of the time there isn't going to be any swell.

Or you going to have "samme sjø som med Hurtigruta".....

If you havn't been to Fort Lauderdale before;

Remeber to do some shopping there.

Have you got any hotels in Barcelona or Fort Lauderdale?

Soryry, no answer in norsk allowed here.

We did the Equinox from Barcelona - Florida in 2014 and had a great time, we had good to great weather at each port and every day across the Atlantic was pool weather... We for us anyway! Being from England the slightest bit of sun and I'm out in it! [emoji16]

the temps got higher with each day, hopefully you will experience the same thing! [emoji4]

From memory we did have one day when it was a little cloudy/misty/drizzly but nothing too bad [emoji848]

We took that same cruise fall of 2014. It was a bit cool - 50s - in the mornings, warming up to maybe the low 70s while we were in Spain. We had some rain and it was warmer in the Canary Islands.

It was actually really moderate and nice, with pool people enjoying the pool (I'm not a pool person) all the way across the ocean.

Just bring a couple long sleeve shirts and a couple varying weights of jackets. Our must-have is a hooded lightweight hip length Gore Tex jacket from Cabela's. It goes everywhere with us, takes almost no space and weighs just a few ounces.

I brought a couple long cotton slacks (those cargo kind that Chico's sells) and some tees. A few pair capris. Leave the tees with slogans on them at home. I always think the idea is to blend in and not look like a tourist. In Spain we found even the most casually dressed are well put together. It may be that way in Norway too, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious to you. I do know I saw some people in Spain who really stuck out and made themselves a target for all kind of potential mayhem (pickpockets abound there).

I do hope it works into your plans to go ahead 2-3 days and see Barcelona and the surrounding area. We stayed at the Room Mate Pau, a very centrally-located hotel. It was just perfect for us and we could walk most places. We got tickets ahead of time on Viator for La Sagrada de Familia, and chose to do that on the day we flew in. It helped to keep us up and awake on that day. The hotel recommended a great paella place for dinner right on the Mediterranean, and the next day we have a great trip with Roll Call people up to Montserrat and a cava vineyard. Wonderful day. We used Barcelona Day Tours and Spain Day Tours (same company) for all our tours on this TA and I'd use them again. Guides were very fluent in English and we never had more than 10 in our group.

Lots of good info in this post, thank you. We'll be doing our first TA in October on Harmony of the Seas.

Our TA last November from Rome to Miami was glorious sunshine and calm seas most of the way across the Atlantic.

We had temperatures up to high 80's.

2 previous TA's, we'd had cooler weather and rocky oceans, however, they both left from Southampton, so hopefully you'll do better than that.

We did the same cruise last year. The seas were very calm and the temperature was warm. Sunshine, warm and pool days every day.

Loved this cruise and would do another.

LOL! The posts confirm what has also been said....there is just no good way to predict the weather/sea conditions. We have 2 TAs in the next 3 months and, as usual, will pack for just about anything other then snow :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We've done that same route 3 times now. The weather varied somewhat, but it was generally cool in Barcelona, sometimes with a bit of rain. It got a bit warmer each day and by the time we left Madeira (or Tenerife) it would get to around 70F during the day. People started to use the pool deck more. We experienced constant moderate motion.