Using a visa gift card?

Jetswdo

We were given a visa gift card for $200---- Has anyone used one as partial payment for cruise? I remember there was some discussion about that on one of the boards- didn't really pay attention as I always just put payments on credit card-- but now if possible I'd like to use the visa gift card as partial payment. Any advise regarding that? Thanks, Anita

If your name isn't on the card, it is not possible for it to be used.

This is true for paying down your onboard account at the purser's desk on the ship.

But you should be able to use the card to pay your cruise fare or purchase amenities through your cruise personalizer before boarding.

If you get a rewards card without your name, you need to go on website as indicated from your particular rewards card. Mine was from Time Warner and the paper it came with indicated to go on website indicated and register your card with a name.

Today, I called up Princess. The agent I spoke with first said, "we only accept Princess reward cards." I explained that I know that to be not true, no offense, but that Princess will accept the card, providing card has been registered with a name. So the lady said, ok I'll try it. I then said, "look, if you have difficulty just connect me to guest services"--- then she did enter the number, and lo and behold, it was accepted with no problems at all.

So the lesson is, "if you have a gift card, register it with a name, and don't take "no" for an answer!

If you get a rewards card without your name, you need to go on website as indicated from your particular rewards card. Mine was from Time Warner and the paper it came with indicated to go on website indicated and register your card with a name.

Today, I called up Princess. The agent I spoke with first said, "we only accept Princess reward cards." I explained that I know that to be not true, no offense, but that Princess will accept the card, providing card has been registered with a name. So the lady said, ok I'll try it. I then said, "look, if you have difficulty just connect me to guest services"--- then she did enter the number, and lo and behold, it was accepted with no problems at all.

So the lesson is, "if you have a gift card, register it with a name, and don't take "no" for an answer!

Always good to get info from the horse's mouth;)

I found this to be very useful, thanks.

I used a prepaid visa gift card for part of our cruise fare. It didn't have my name on it, it was one that you can buy at the grocery stores. No problem using it at all. I've heard of problems using them onboard, but I had no problem using it for fare.

After I bought my house, I had a ton of these cards (rebates for appliances, etc...). I just gave the numbers to my TA and she used them for payments. I probably drove her crazy as I had 4 or 5 of them but she entered each one and it worked. None had my name on them.

Edited by Coral

In 2014 we received several Visa and Amex gift cards at DH's retirement party which was right before we were going on a cruise on the Ruby. We brought them along and the night before disembarkation we went to PSD to see if we could use them to pay off our balance. They accepted them without question.