Tampa or Fort Lauderdale

Rdytogonow

Good Afternoon,

I have booked Oasis of the Seas for Nov. 27 leaving from Port Canaveral. I am now thinking of doing a little 5 day cruise beforehand. However, there isn't one arriving back to Port Canaveral on the 27th of November. There are three options I have found.

1. Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale

2. Royal Caribbean-Brilliance of the Seas leaving from Tampa

3. Royal Caribbean- Majesty of the Seas leaving from Port Canaveral (older ship I know) which does leave from Port Canaveral.

So my question is: is it easier to get from Tampa to Port Canaveral, or from Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!!

It's about an hour shorter going from Tampa to Port Canaveral. We've done it a couple of times and it's an easy drive. Take 417 to bypass the Orlando airport and most of the Disney traffic.

Edited by clarea

It's about an hour shorter going from Tampa to Port Canaveral. We've done it a couple of times and it's an easy drive. Take 417 to bypass the Orlando airport and most of the Disney traffic.

While this is very good advice, I would caution the time of year. Sunday after Thanksgiving, the traffic on I-4 starts as early as Lakeland and can be a real nightmare with all the tourists in the area that time of year. . . the drive on I-95 north from Port Everglades should be much cleaner and worse comes to worse you can always jump on the Turnpike and cut back to I-95 if need be (don't think it will be necessary).

I'd guess the time in the end, would be about the same, with the Port Everglades departure being a smoother drive as it's literally a one highway trip and should have less traffic on a Sunday while the drive from Tampa is shorter on mileage.

Edited by kdawg954

Twelve years ago, we disembarked The Sovereign in Port Canaveral. Stopped at the UPS store and sent home our laundry and souvenirs. Headed down to Fort Lauderdale and boarded The Enchantment. It was fun. The crew thought we were nuts.

Ohh...maybe it was Miami, bit I think Lauderdale.

Good Afternoon,

I have booked Oasis of the Seas for Nov. 27 leaving from Port Canaveral. I am now thinking of doing a little 5 day cruise beforehand. However, there isn't one arriving back to Port Canaveral on the 27th of November. There are three options I have found.

1. Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas leaving from Fort Lauderdale

2. Royal Caribbean-Brilliance of the Seas leaving from Tampa

3. Royal Caribbean- Majesty of the Seas leaving from Port Canaveral (older ship I know) which does leave from Port Canaveral.

So my question is: is it easier to get from Tampa to Port Canaveral, or from Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!!

I think you should look at the cruise schedules closer... both Indy and Brilliance sail back to port on Monday Nov 28th, so those two options are out, unless you wish to stay on land for 3 nights in between cruises. With Majesty you'd have to stay on land two nights.

A few years ago I did Liberty out of Miami with Majesty right after... had a GREAT time coming "down" from Freedom Class onto Majesty! Totally different feel and a different cruise. I stayed in South Beach the one night in between the two cruises and had a fabulous day and evening in Miami... you would have the Friday & Saturday nights to explore Canaveral & Orlando. I think it could be a total blast going from Majesty to Oasis. Majesty will be upgraded in May.

If you don't want a hotel, you may wish to "risk" a lengthy drive (help me out here Floridans) maybe 3.5-4 hours from Miami to Canaveral... Navigator sails a 4-day itinerary Nov 23-27. Get off NoS, drive immediately up to Canaveral, and get on Oasis. Seems like a waste, especailly when you can get an easy 1 hour transfer to Fort Lauderdale onto Allure

Another option is Freedom 6-day Nov20-26. Gives you the day to get up to Canaveral, and only one hotel night.

While this is very good advice, I would caution the time of year. Sunday after Thanksgiving, the traffic on I-4 starts as early as Lakeland and can be a real nightmare with all the tourists in the area that time of year. . . the drive on I-95 north from Port Everglades should be much cleaner and worse comes to worse you can always jump on the Turnpike and cut back to I-95 if need be (don't think it will be necessary).

I'd guess the time in the end, would be about the same, with the Port Everglades departure being a smoother drive as it's literally a one highway trip and should have less traffic on a Sunday while the drive from Tampa is shorter on mileage.

We did Brilliance this Thanksgiving and the Monday after was smooth sailing

I'd do the Majesty. Yes, it's older and smaller - but it's in Port Canaveral. You don't want the headache of driving 1-2 hours or the risk of anything happening.

I agree. :)

Would you please decrease the size of the font in your signature? :)

Thank you all. I am aware that I would have to spend two or three nights on land before boarding Oasis on the 27th. I think I am leaning towards Majesty. Then I wouldn't have to worry about "fog" been there last year. It was a nightmare. I do enjoy the feel of smaller ships. I have sailed on Brilliance twice already.

Thank you all. I am aware that I would have to spend two or three nights on land before boarding Oasis on the 27th. I think I am leaning towards Majesty. Then I wouldn't have to worry about "fog" been there last year. It was a nightmare. I do enjoy the feel of smaller ships. I have sailed on Brilliance twice already.

The 4 day Majesty gets back on a Friday, and Oasis leaves on Sunday, so that seems like a good fit. You could go to Kennedy on Friday or Saturday. Maybe even Disney or Universal since you have entire day

Since you would have to stay on land for a couple of days anyway, I would sail out of Tampa. Even if fog causes a late arrival or if there is traffic, you still have plenty of cushion to make the second cruise and have the fun of sailing out of two different ports. I also enjoy the sail out from Tampa.

We traveled I-4 almost daily for work and pleasure both to Tampa and Orlando, you could see it (I-4) from our house, not a big deal, and Tampa is the shorter drive.

I agree with the previous poster, take I-4 to 417 and then 528 to Canaveral. Easy.

OP - you have lots of good suggestions. Last year we did two sailings from Port Canaveral ( different ships - Freedom then Enchantment) with one day in-between. It worked out great.

Just another option - have your ruled out doing a back to back on the oasis? By the time you add the second shorter cruise, hotel, transportation and food, the B2B may work for you.

Good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1