Is it okay to walk around in Barcelona?

Afloat

When researching Barcelona there are bold printed warnings on some web sites about rampant pickpockets and thieves. There are recommendations to wear money belts and use steel reinforced camera straps. Is it okay to use my digital SLR or should I buy an inexpensive point and shoot?

I live in a big city and I fully understand the use of common sense and being aware of your surroundings.

I would not want these concerns detracting my enjoyment of what seems to be an amazing city but do not want my vacation to be ruined.

I would be interested in knowing what others have experienced.

Thank you.

We've been there 3 times for a couple of days each time. Lots of walking, including Las Ramblas. No problems, but we do take precautions, like a money belt, no purses, etc.

That was our experience, too. Reasonable precautions were sufficient, and we enjoyed our 3 days in Barcelona. We're going to Madrid this year; hopefully the experience will be as good.

Fortunately the spread of violent crime is extremely limited in Spain, while the presence of petty crime and opportunistic theft is present as it is in all places where tourists congregate.

The good thing is that due to the fact that Barcelona is very dependent on tourism and the meetings and event market, local authorities have taken action that has severely reduced the rate of petty crime in recent years.

The one thing I always appreciate in both Madrid and Barcelona is how available and present the police are in public areas.

The problem with opportunistic criminals is that they tend to be very clever and play the 'odds'. They have often chosen their victim based on some behavior such as limited attention, distraction or taking that short cut or moving and stopping in very crowded situations.

Pick-pockets & opportunist thefts perhaps more than in most cities, but not robbery. So take sensible precautions as in any city, but don't let paranoia spoil your vacation.

Most petty thieving is along Las Ramblas (great place for promenading & people-watching) & on public transportation

JB :)

It is perfectly OK to walk around Barcelona. I have have been there in numerous times and never had any problem whatsoever. However, I look after my belongings, know where I am going as to not be dithering around on a street corner and am aware of my surroundings

We had no problems and I did use my SLR. Also, I did use a money belt, a reinforced camera strap and was careful not to take things off my person (even in a restaurant). It is a beautiful city and we spent days walking around including the Ramblas and Gothic Quarter.

... but you Need to be Aware of you surroundings.

I was by myself (female).

Leave your passport and credit Cards at the Hotel. Only take cash with you.

Thats what I did.

I bought myself a spanish newspaper so I pretended to a local. (eventhoug I don't really speak spanish :D )

I only had my digi cam with me. left the big camera at the Hotel as well.

when on the Ramblas you have to go that market. (if Walking the Ramblas down it's on the right Hand side)

Stay off of public transportation. I would not walk around late at night. No purse or bags of any kind on the street. Money belt is an excellent idea. If you try to dress like you are business people working there, thieves will not be as interested in you as in people who are obviously tourists. My husband and I wear some of the items from this company:

http://www.scottevest.com

Typically, we are wearing European walking shoes and clothes that don't attract attention - not expensive, but business type clothes, typically black. We have not had any problem yet in many, many trips where we stayed in Barcelona. For touring, I hired a private driver and car to take us all over the city to the various Gaudi sites. What I would say is that if you encounter something unusual, assume it is a scam and move away quickly. Stuff squirted on you/bird droppings on your clothes, people rush to help - scam. Lady in restroom claiming she is locked in a stall - probably a scam - go get someone who works there to help her, do not attempt help her yourself as she could rush out of the stall and pickpocket you. People trying to hand you things such as herbs, scam. People trying to have you give them directions, scam. Stand around on Las Ramblas looking at human statues - sets you up to be pickpocketed. Better to look casually as you pass by.

No more problem then in Rome or any other city, just be aware and don't carry a wallet in your pocket. I spotted a 3 some of pickers. Two girls and an older male and we saw police on bikes undercover arresting another one. No need for metal straps, a good cross body bag thick strap is sufficient. One with a flap over the zippered interior is good. I also used d clips to secure zippers to the strap so no one could slide them open. When standing waiting on a bus or to cross a street don't allow people to surround you too closely. If you feel uncomfortable, walk away. They won't follow, it is opportunity not mugging.

I also use an SLR and didn't have any issues in Barcelona. We did a lot of walking and also used public transportation.

I have a cross body strap for my SLR and just kept one hand on the camera body when it wasn't in use. My husband carried my camera bag (also across his body and keeping one hand on the bag). These are the same precautions we take in any large city.

My camera bag has a thick strap and a fold over closure that snaps shut (similar to the crumple million dollar home camera bag).

Does Barcelona have a problem with pickpockets? Yep. Does nearly every other Western European city have a problem with pickpockets? Yep. Although Barcelona gets a lot of adverse publicity about its pickpockets, we think the issue is terribly blown out of proportion. Travelers (and everyone) should always take basic and simple precautions to secure their valuables. European pickpockets (often Roma or gypsies) are very professional and usually choose the easy targets of opportunity. So just do not make yourself an easy target and you will be fine. Even a simple technique of using large heavy safety pins to secure a front pocket or a purse zipper will normally be enough. But ladies need to be careful to never put their purse down and its best to wear your strap cross shoulder.

And when walking around cities it is best to leave our expensive jewelry (and watches) locked in a safe. And remember, if you are inclined to carry your Passport (we prefer to leave ours locked in a safe) that document is worth thousands of dollars on some blackmarkets. So protect it the same way you would protect a $5000 bill! On the other hand, most folks would not carry that kind of cash....so perhaps that is saying something about carrying Passports.

Hank

Does Barcelona have a problem with pickpockets? Yep. Does nearly every other Western European city have a problem with pickpockets? Yep. Although Barcelona gets a lot of adverse publicity about its pickpockets, we think the issue is terribly blown out of proportion. Travelers (and everyone) should always take basic and simple precautions to secure their valuables. European pickpockets (often Roma or gypsies) are very professional and usually choose the easy targets of opportunity. So just do not make yourself an easy target and you will be fine. Even a simple technique of using large heavy safety pins to secure a front pocket or a purse zipper will normally be enough. But ladies need to be careful to never put their purse down and its best to wear your strap cross shoulder.

And when walking around cities it is best to leave our expensive jewelry (and watches) locked in a safe. And remember, if you are inclined to carry your Passport (we prefer to leave ours locked in a safe) that document is worth thousands of dollars on some blackmarkets. So protect it the same way you would protect a $5000 bill! On the other hand, most folks would not carry that kind of cash....so perhaps that is saying something about carrying Passports.

Hank

Good advice Hank.

Just like the USA all cities are not the same.

Some cities around the world have great problems than other cities.

That is fact.

Barcelona still has a pick pocket problem as does Naples which is far greater than some of the other cities. By the way Buenos Aires, and Rio have problems that are greater than some other cities of their own country. Lima has a problem too.

I would be more guarded in Barcelona and I would not walk around with a very expensive camera.

I would not walk around with an expensive camera in the Bronx either or in certain parts of Los Angeles or in SE WDC.

And as a tourist we have to realize no mater how street smart we are that we are not 100% familiar with the layout of the city.

So do you caution. It's a great city but I would not wear jewelry and I would use a travel wallet and I would use a point and shoot camera and nothing in my pockets.

Like most things in life each person will do what they think is best.

And history means nothing if you are the one who is robbed.

Keith

Barcelona is getting bad wrap for pickpocketing problem. Not sure why is that, may be number of reported cases in higher than in other cities. However a thief will not spend their time if his next act involves an effort and will switch to an easier victim.

So as others mentioned precautions that are not that much different than ones in home town are good enough. There is no need to carry passports (photo copy is good enough), any other ids for that matter and large amount of cash. Almost any business takes credit cards from McDonalds to snack bars. Also things left unattended tend to disappear so no need to leave mobiles and purses on patio tables. Bags and purses that zip up and not easy to cut are good defence. If they they have inside pocket that zips even better.

Another category is scams like someone pretending to be police and asking victim to hand over the wallet to count the money. Reason can anything from looking for counterfeit currency to proceeds of drug crime.