Do you prefer onboard credit or reduced cruise fare

mcatmcat

The OBC is better for the cruise lines as it costs them the wholesale value but is charged at retail. The reduced fare price is better for the comsumer.

I did not see anything to spend money on while on the ship. The one thing my wife wanted was one of the sparkly bling lanyards they were selling for about US$10. but she wanted it for when back home. We looked them up and I ordered four of them, delivered, for AU$6. So the only thing on the account was the mandatory visa and an expensive visit to the quack.

I would prefer a lower fare but also the better deal. I could save $60 today but lose $100 OBC, not going to do it.:):)

Same here. We buy the pkg anyway, so I won't give up OBC if the savings is less. and I would NEVER leave OBC on the table. I would buy gifts or a bottle of booze or something before I would walk away from OBC. I have had to do that a time or 2 when I pre-ordered the pkg. So went and bought a bottle of Jack for my hubby to bring home so I could use it up!!

We are in this situation right now. With a recent price drop we could save $250 but would lose our $250 OBC. We are leaving as is - if I have OBC I think it will help me enjoy my time a bit more. I am kind of cheap and might be less willing to get a drink at dinner or pay for the thermal suite- if I look at it as free money I might enjoy this a bit more. Kind of a weird way to look at it but it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I called to check our price on our next cruise for 5 in April 2017 and the fare was $177 less. By doing that I would lose $300 OBC. While it was a tough decision what to do I am going to leave it. Last time I had $200 OBC and had a hard time spending it but I don't think it's worth the trouble of changing. We like to have drink packages prepaid so we don't have to bother with them on the ship. Maybe a better deal will come along, maybe not, I'm ok with my price, it'd high but I expected that.

I called to check our price on our next cruise for 5 in April 2017 and the fare was $177 less. By doing that I would lose $300 OBC. While it was a tough decision what to do I am going to leave it. Last time I had $200 OBC and had a hard time spending it but I don't think it's worth the trouble of changing. We like to have drink packages prepaid so we don't have to bother with them on the ship. Maybe a better deal will come along, maybe not, I'm ok with my price, it'd high but I expected that.

With that much of a difference, I'd keep the OBC too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark290 View Post

On your last drink tip $65 or tip somebody with your credit or buy

somebody a drink or get a couple tee shirts.

We didn't realize until the last evening how little money we had spent. Shops were closed. Believe me it won't happen again!

I can empathise. On our last cruise, we had extra non refundable obc given at last moment. I thought of using obc to give sommelier extra tip but he said only way was cash? (this was on Celebrity). I was still able to find spending opportunities though;)

I prefer whichever makes me better off. So would prefer $300 OBC instead of $200 off the fare.

I don't have difficulty spending OBC. :)

Exactly this. OBC gives freedom to try more speciality dining or getting a nicer bottle of wine without worrying about breaking the bank:D.

Ultimately, we prefer whatever results in lower net cost at the end. We never have issues spending OBC (especially since there's a lot of upselling and hidden fees happening now). To each their own though! I can see that if you have minimal on board spending that the lower fare would be more enticing. I'd take a lower fare too if it beat out the OBC.