Corning Hot Glass show

LabGuy64

My husband is from a town adjacent to Corning, NY. We have been to the museum many times & it is worth the stop if you are near it. Your Celebrity Sea Pas card gets you in free. In our last 10 cruises (I can only book cruises with the glass show), he has never missed a show. He has won 3 pieces & they are beautiful. Since he enjoyed it so much, our daughters got him a couple classes to a glass blowing school near us.

I have really enjoyed the hot glass shows too. It was tough in November on Solstice because it was just so cold some days but they always drew a nice crowd. No luck for me in the auctions or drawings but I do have a picture I really like of a piece coming out of the oven that I made on Equinox. I had it printed up and it hangs over the fireplace so I get to enjoy it all winter.

On Equinox in January they had added a "Science of Glass" show, which was basically the last 20 minutes of their final show of the cruise. They demonstrated in various ways how glass can be very strong or very fragile, depending on the shape, temperature and other factors. It included shattering a lot of glass, which I have to admit was way cool. They ended by blowing an open balloon-shaped piece and making popcorn in it. Not sure they do it on all 3 ships, but if it's offered it's well worth a look. Especially if you're kind of a science geek, which my DH and I definitely are. ;)

If you need a fix between cruises (and live in Florida!), there are wonderful art glass museums in St. Petersburg [Dale Chihuly, pirate and glass art genius!] and Sarasota [a local couple's private collection]. Both places show documentaries of Chihuly directing a large team to produce his works. We could sit for hours watching, just like on the ship!

EDIT : Ugh. I see the Tapatalk app isn't smart enough to rotate a portrait format photo. Oh well.

bef2833e0b1c903df2605245899a7cd1.jpg

Tom (forgot his last name) did this one in 2013.

6c96ba280e10e977375020ebeea80df0.jpg

Done by an artist named Jack Schmidt on a previous sailing on Eclipse. He wasn't on ours.

The third piece went to my mother-in-law. It was a pink and white vase with green, vine-like whirlygigs. No pics of it.

Sent via my Samsung Note 4 while I should probably be doing something productive

Edited by Maligator

Thanks for the photos, they are beautiful. For us it wouldn't be just about the glass but about the whole experience and the memories of the cruise that they bring. I collect bracelets and each time I put a different one on I'm reminded of that place. My favorite is one I bought while rushing back to the tender in Santorini. My lunch there at Oia on a terrace overlooking the caldera was one of the best travel experiences of my life. Ah...I an still feel the breeze. Bob

Edited by CTBob

I've been fortunate enough to experience them on two ships, never won a piece and haven't bothered bidding on them as you can buy quality glass art anywhere.

Yes you can purchase quality glass art in certain places but THESE pieces you get to see made and it comes with memories of a wonderful cruise, some see the value in that and others not. I also was happy that the Breast Cancer Awareness piece money goes to that cause. :D

EDIT : Ugh. I see the Tapatalk app isn't smart enough to rotate a portrait format photo. Oh well.

bef2833e0b1c903df2605245899a7cd1.jpg

Tom (forgot his last name) did this one in 2013.

6c96ba280e10e977375020ebeea80df0.jpg

Done by an artist named Jack Schmidt on a previous sailing on Eclipse. He wasn't on ours.

The third piece went to my mother-in-law. It was a pink and white vase with green, vine-like whirlygigs. No pics of it.

Sent via my Samsung Note 4 while I should probably be doing something productive

We've heard about the hot glass show but never imagined the pieces looking this fantastic. Thanks for sharing. We will attend one of the shows on our 3 April 2016 Eclipse Caribbean Cruise.

We scouted a working hot glass shop in Quebec City on Summit in the old town. And, naturally, the Mecca of glass art, Murano, in Venice. When in Rome (ha!), there's a glass shop (but no artisans) just around the corner from Piazza Navona. All have tasted the wrath of my wife and her Visa card.

Edited by Maligator