Presidents Week out of Bayonne NJ

I did a search and didn't see anything posted

I see you haven't posted since 2013. The poster is referring to the Anthem "cruise from hell" Feb 6 trip. There are several posts on this - newbcruiser1 is in the midst of a not so live review (although there are many) which fairly details what happened - basically the ship was caught in 150mph hurricane force winds. Was on several national news outlets. The weeks before, a snow storm extended the cruise one day (thus cutting the next cruise short.)

I've never done it, but understand that you are taking weather risks. Regardless, many people do for various reasons. Haven't taken her yet, but the Anthem is supposed to be set up for cold weather cruising - with two separate enclosed pools.

Edited by Alter Ego

I have sailed Presidents week out of Bayonne. We can drive to Bayonne and avoid air travel, which makes Cape Liberty our embarkation port of choice.

It is cold the first and last 2 sea days, but the Caribbean is warm. If your port stops are FL & Bahamas though, I wouldn't expect it to get above low 70's.

Not related to weather, but as a FYI, expect a large number of families with children on board during President's week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you haven't posted since 2013. The poster is referring to the Anthem "cruise from hell" Feb 6 trip. There are several posts on this - newbcruiser1 is in the midst of a not so live review (although there are many) which fairly details what happened - basically the ship was caught in 150mph hurricane force winds. Was on several national news outlets. The weeks before, a snow storm extended the cruise one day (thus cutting the next cruise short.)

I've never done it, but understand that you are taking weather risks. Regardless, many people do for various reasons. Haven't taken her yet, but the Anthem is supposed to be set up for cold weather cruising - with two separate enclosed pools.

Yup, on the nose. There was a stretch late last week where it seemed a new thread about Anthem popped up every 2-3 seconds with strong opinions ranging from those who wished to give Captain Claus a hearty handshake and those who wanted to see him keelhauled on the next trip out. I mean honestly just about any time you cruise there's weather risks to one extent or another. My wife and I prefer cruising in October (our anniversary, her birthday) but that's in Atlantic hurricane season. The one cruise we had in January we cruised out of New Orleans - snow storms all across the south, including here in the Triangle. We got out just fine but people who were driving to the port from parts of Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc. reported long detours, icy roads, and the like. Roll with the punches, hope for the best but plan for the worst and you'll usually be fine.

As you mentioned Anthem, and the rest of her class, were designed to better handle cold weather cruisingthan a Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ship. The indoor pool plus enclosed solarium are both benefits to this class of ship and I'd be more than willing to cold weather cruise on her!

We never travel in February, even when we had school aged children as they always had that week off from school.

The chances for bad weather at that time are just too great. Most of our major Nor'easters are in February.

Never mind that we just went through 3 horrifically cold days with below 0 temperatures and -20 degree wind chills.

The weather started getting rough. The mega ship was tossed. If not for the fearless crew the Anthem would be lost, the Anthem would be lost.

I get cold easily. I'd say once you are in Georgia area it may be warm enough. But, for me it's Florida or south.

The weather started getting rough. The mega ship was tossed. If not for the fearless crew the Anthem would be lost, the Anthem would be lost.

I get cold easily. I'd say once you are in Georgia area it may be warm enough. But, for me it's Florida or south.

And even then....Florida recently had very cold weather and a terrible storm in the Fort Lauderdale area.

We were in Orlando at the end of March in 2014 and we were freezing. I know that's not the norm. Probably just my bad luck.

I have sailed Presidents week out of Bayonne. We can drive to Bayonne and avoid air travel, which makes Cape Liberty our embarkation port of choice.

It is cold the first and last 2 sea days, but the Caribbean is warm. If your port stops are FL & Bahamas though, I wouldn't expect it to get above low 70's.

Not related to weather, but as a FYI, expect a large number of families with children on board during President's week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but that can vary widely either way

We are thinking of cruising next presidents week on the Anthem. It just seems so cold. Anyone have any experiences cruising in Feb out of Bayonne?

We have. 5 years ago we sailed a 12 night cruise on Explorer and loved it. I got one of my worst sunburns ever on day 3 (second sea day) on that cruise.

I believe you are considering the 7 night that goes to Cape Canaveral, CocoCay, Nassau. No way I'd ever do a 7 night from Bayonne to those places anytime of the year

Maybe, but that can vary widely either way

We have. 5 years ago we sailed a 12 night cruise on Explorer and loved it. I got one of my worst sunburns ever on day 3 (second sea day) on that cruise.

I believe you are considering the 7 night that goes to Cape Canaveral, CocoCay, Nassau. No way I'd ever do a 7 night from Bayonne to those places anytime of the year

For us it was going to be all about the ship. We couldn't wait to dock and have everyone get off so we'd have her to ourselves. Oops.

We sailed the Quantum on a 10 day in January 2015. Yes the first and last days re cold but with 2 indoor pools, the bumper cars, etc., there was plenty to do indoors. We got all the way to St. Kitts, so we also had warm weather ports. We did have some rough seas, but that's always normal in the north Atlantic, even in the summer. Driving to the pier and avoiding flying was always a plus. We had sailed on the Explorer in January and October, just before Sandy, but without the indoor space of the Quantim January was cold longer. Enjoy whatever you decide

I should of realized the Anthem connection to last week. My wife is trying to convince me to sail again on PW. We did in fact sail on the Explorer in 2013 but my memory differs from hers. It was cold the first 2 and last 2 days. anyway didn't mean to stir to pot on this read

For us it was going to be all about the ship. We couldn't wait to dock and have everyone get off so we'd have her to ourselves. Oops.

If we end up booking, this will be what we do too.

My kids will be in college and not home and to save on airfare, we will use the ship as our "resort" and relax for the week.

We are thinking of cruising next presidents week on the Anthem. It just seems so cold. Anyone have any experiences cruising in Feb out of Bayonne?

I live 15 minutes from Cape Liberty.

The weather is typically cool this time of year, we had a low of 0 degrees over the past weekend and it will be in the high 50's this coming weekend. Both temps are the extreme for February. Norms are usually in the low 40's. It's usually windy and the water sometimes appears rough.

Snow storms are not unusual, so just plan extra time in travel arrangement.

Local schools are off for President's week so expect plenty of kids on board.

We sailed on the Quantum in March last year......there was snow on the ground when we arrived back to port March 21. But I must say it was warm out that day and it was quickly melting.

I looked into that cruise for Presidents Week next year since we're on LI and I love the idea of getting up and driving to the port. But I decided to fly down to Florida instead. Between the cold and a husband and kids prone to motion sickness. I figure it's too risky for us. And for me, the whole reason I want to cruise that week is to sit in the sun and get away from the cold.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Yes, there's one in the solarium and then a second indoor pool as well.

When we sailed on the Quantum in March, young kids were not allowed in the Solarium.

From my understanding they made an exception this week allowing kids in the Solarium because the indoor pool was not fully operational.

I don't know if allowing kids in the Solarium was temporary or permanent deviation from the norm.