What to do for non-drinkers on Eclipse

Canadian Sunset

Try searching for "Eclipse dailies" and you might find recent daily newsletters, which will have activity agendas for each day. I posted mine from my recent Reflection cruise, and you can find them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313769

I haven't been on the Eclipse but, from reading this board, it sounds like the S-class ships are very similar. So you'll find shopping, art classes (fee-based), art auctions, some trivia, some dance classes, lots of places to read and relax (Solstice deck, Solarium), and of course places to chat with fellow cruisers. There also was a movie shown on a couple of our days, and also some lectures. Celebrity isn't heavy with activities, from what I've read, in comparison to other lines. However, there are things to do.

Try searching for "Eclipse dailies" and you might find recent daily newsletters, which will have activity agendas for each day. I posted mine from my recent Reflection cruise, and you can find them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313769

I haven't been on the Eclipse but, from reading this board, it sounds like the S-class ships are very similar. So you'll find shopping, art classes (fee-based), art auctions, some trivia, some dance classes, lots of places to read and relax (Solstice deck, Solarium), and of course places to chat with fellow cruisers. There also was a movie shown on a couple of our days, and also some lectures. Celebrity isn't heavy with activities, from what I've read, in comparison to other lines. However, there are things to do.

Add to these swimming, the excellent glass blowing show and numerous lawn games (although from recent photos the lawn may need some TLC).

OP, DW and I have never viewed drinking as an "activity". We'll enjoy a drink while relaxing in a deck chair or a glass of wine with dinner, but we never go to a bar just to drink. We still find our days full and I'm sure you will too!

:D usually people sitting at the pool socializing with others are the ones drinking. (Altho on the eclipse in jan. there weren't many of those. ) Or you'll see people sitting at tables on the deck playing cards, backgammon,board games etc perhaps with a drink next to them. Many just reading. Once late afternoon starts, groups will head to the bars and outdoor sitting areas to socialize and have a couple predinner drinks. But I agree drinking in itself is not the activity of choice on a Celebrity cruise. Even with the beverage packages offered.

Edited by eandj

On longer cruises they often have passenger choirs, with rehearsals - I've done that twice and it's fun.

There are also talent shows for passengers, and rehearsals for flash mob dances.

I've been to some of the art classes, and fyi, unless it's changed, there are NO fees. All the paints, canvases, brushes (they were actually quite good brushes) are FREE.

The Hot Glass Show is awesome. I go to as many as I can. Quite entertaining, the three artisans put on a two-hour show and will each make a piece, while one helps the glass artist and the other does a very informative and often very amusing and entertaining commentary. So you'll see three pieces made for every show, although you can come and go. Best to at least stay for the last part because quite often they hold a free raffle and their pieces are given away. These pieces would be $$$$$$$$$ in a museum or store, and it's fun to see the pieces made and then win one if you're lucky (I have won once).

There are officers vs passengers dancing and trivia and ping pong and water volleyball - all kinds of things like that. Either participate or just watch.

Lots of people like me go out into the common areas and bring needlework or knitting or a book and pass a relaxing morning or afternoon with a glass of something to drink (or not). We often meet people on board (since we travel just the two of us) and find that just chatting with new friends is a lot of fun.

I did something once on Equinox which is nearly identical to Eclipse (our favorite ship). I took an afternoon and photographed most of the art. I literally went onto every deck and walked the length of it. I did this on the passenger decks with just cabins because some of the artwork in the halls or by the elevators is really amazing. Besides a nice art "tour" it's great exercise!

One of our favourite things to do was drinking nice teas and coffees in el Bacio (the cafe) while reading a good book. I do suggest the premium non alcoholic package. You might think it is a lot but you will get to enjoy nice treats and good water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not big drinkers, nothing at all during the day and only a wine or two for dinner or before. With 31 cruises under our belt it has never been a problem. There's always something to do even if it's just relaxing with a book on deck, listening to music or one of the other activities they do to keep us happy. We are Elite passengers so do enjoy our wine or cocktails at the Captain's Club lounge but we don't over indulge.

Over the years I have spend a lot of time in Ship's bars and do not drink alcohol at all! No problem, I chat with friends, chat with the bat tenders, watch out the windows if there are windows, dance, watch folks dance, play games that are frequently scheduled for the bars, watch entertainers performing in the bars, and so on.

On ships, unlike many places on shore, folks go to the bar areas just to hang out without drinking alcohol. No pressure to buy anything in my experience. If I have spend a lot of time on a cruise in a particular bar (ex: piano bar), at the end I will give a nice tip to the waiters who serve the areas I sit in just for being so nice.

Hi Canadian Sunset

I don't drink at all, my wife does a little and we have been on the Eclipse a couple of times. There are more things to do than I can get done. There is great musical entertainment throughout the ship during the day, cooking demonstrations, enrichment classes where you can hear really interesting people speak about a range of topics. On sea days we usually have coffee on the balcony, breakfast, lounge by the pool with a frozen drink and listen to music, lunch, then the coffee bar for an espresso, take in the glass blowing show or attend one of the enrichment classes, or play some bocce ball, relax on the balcony or hang out at the sunset bar usually with music. There are tons of other things as others have mentioned above to but as you can see, the day goes by too fast!!! Have a great cruise. :)

I did something once on Equinox which is nearly identical to Eclipse (our favorite ship). I took an afternoon and photographed most of the art. I literally went onto every deck and walked the length of it. I did this on the passenger decks with just cabins because some of the artwork in the halls or by the elevators is really amazing. Besides a nice art "tour" it's great exercise!

That is a great idea! :)

I can't drink alcohol at all due to severe heartburn issues with it. Hubby does drink wine. You'll be able to do whatever you want on board. I can't think of a specific activity that is strictly a drinking activity. Even at a bar, you can have bottled water, sodas or any non-alcoholic beverage. Not drinking alcohol has never slowed me down on anything on Eclipse's two week cruises or on any other ships for that matter. You can have an amazing time and never have a sip of alcohol.

Just sit back and chill out. Alcohol not required to enjoy your Cruise. However sitting in the sun on a beautiful Cruise ship in the middle of the ocean with a cold drink in hand makes ya think "does life get any better than this". ;o) Looking forward to our 3 April 2016 Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse.

Edited by davekathy

My husband doesn't drink alcohol and there are actually some nice "mocktail" choices if you want to grab a drink and watch the waves go by. He's particularly fond of the mint lemonade, also known as a virgin mojito. Most frozen drinks can be made without alcohol as well.

Sea days have loads of activities; we've enjoyed the talks by ship's officers and guest lecturers, various demos by bartenders, dancers and chefs, glass shows, games... it's more a case of picking only one thing to do when there are 2 or 3 that sound interesting. Bet you'll find something you'll enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. There was indeed lots to do on Eclipse and we enjoyed every minute. Wish I hadn't brought home the cough that was going around, but at least it hit me on the day we left the ship. I still can't talk thanks to the laryngitis. My husband is very happy.

I don't drink much, just a glass of wine in the evenings and I love sea days. Our next two cruises are Hawaii/Vancouver and a TA. Both have lots of sea days. I've never been bored. Celebrity keeps us busy and, since I don't object to being around people who are drinking, I spend time with my husband.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't drink much, just a glass of wine in the evenings and I love sea days. Our next two cruises are Hawaii/Vancouver and a TA. Both have lots of sea days. I've never been bored. Celebrity keeps us busy and, since I don't object to being around people who are drinking, I spend time with my husband.

I do not drink alcohol. :) I will bring, on-board the Eclipse, my Diet Pepsi. I learned many, many years ago; I am allergic to alcohol. When I drink it; I break out !:D:D There are so many things to do on the ship; it is staggering. Number one activity for me on sea days; sleeping in. An ice cold diet-cola, sitting on the balcony (or deck) watching the world go by; priceless.

ODAT :cool: