Under 500 Calories Meal in MDR?

knittinggirl

I also think this is a good idea - intentionally smaller dinner portions. You can ask for "half portion" but it still comes out a lot of food. Surprise of my life once was the under 500 calorie meal at Applebees - which was surprisingly tasty and satisfying. So it can be done in a large scale food service setting. There is also an entire restaurant in LA devoted to small calories full meals.

You can also order from the soup and appetizers column for your main course - which keep this down to small bites. The can pass often for a "meal" or a combination that create a "meal. I rarely order the entree any longer. I am just not a meat and potatoes type person. I am a nibbler ..or grazer?

Plus there is a dinner salad each evening that may well bring the calories down if you watch the amount of dressing. Rolls without butter are still fresh baked treats on HAL - they are that good on their own. They also offer marked "spa" menu items, but they often are vegetarian or "sugar free", which I gathered means "fake sugar substitutes". No thank you.

Additionally, there is always fresh fruit slices for dessert or you can nibble at a cheese plate for small bites too and cover all the good nutritional bases.

Edited by OlsSalt

About 15 years ago, some cruise lines had a special lower fat/calories etc menu. Appetizer, entree and dessert under 500 calories. W/ Royal Caribbean, it started at 500 calories, went up to 850, then disappeared completely. Didn't HAL have a ship shape menu before carnival bought them out?

Edited by knittinggirl

If you count calories so rigidly, I would think you could calculate roughly for yourself.

You know if you get a steamed vegetable plate with no butter and a small chicken breast for dinner, you will be under 500 calories. If that is how you always/usually eat, you likely are quite aware of calorie count.

Have a shrimp cocktail with lemon and a small salad with low fat/calorie dressing and you will be under 500 calories.

Some of our diets are up to ourselves to control and calculate, IMO.

About 15 years ago, some cruise lines had a special lower fat/calories etc menu. Appetizer, entree and dessert under 500 calories. W/ Royal Caribbean, it started at 500 calories, went up to 850, then disappeared completely. Didn't HAL have a ship shape menu before carnival bought them out?

Is this an suggestion that the purchase by Carnival Corporation was the reason HAL might have dropped lower fat & calorie foods? A lot of things have been added and changed since purchased happened in 1989,, which is well over 15 years ago.

I also remember Carnival Cruise line having spa menu items with calories and fat grams listed about 5 years ago. So, I don't believe Carnival Corporation (who owns each line) is anti-healthy foods.

There are many variables in a cruise ship kitchen and even if nutritional analysis is done on samples of food items, there is no guarantee that the nutritional info will be the same each time it is prepared.

Is this an suggestion that the purchase by Carnival Corporation was the reason HAL might have dropped lower fat & calorie foods? A lot of things have been added and changed since purchased happened in 1989,, which is well over 15 years ago.

I also remember Carnival Cruise line having spa menu items with calories and fat grams listed about 5 years ago. So, I don't believe Carnival Corporation (who owns each line) is anti-healthy foods.

There are many variables in a cruise ship kitchen and even if nutritional analysis is done on samples of food items, there is no guarantee that the nutritional info will be the same each time it is prepared.

All Cunard menus include a 'Canyon Ranch' selection for app, entrée and dessert with the number of calories and other nutritional info...and Cunard is part of the 'Carnival' family.

Not intended. Royal Caribbean had the 500 calorie or less about the same time too, and discontinued it. But RC also discontinued turndown chocolates, newspapers, fox news, fresh flowers . . .

That's why were trying new companies.

Some chefs don't like low fat because they think it cuts down on the taste. A local restaurant refuses to serve salad w/o dressing. Daddy wouldn't have been back. He insisted on salad w/ no dressing.

Edited by knittinggirl

Most of the cruise lines have made cut backs including some of the more deluxe.

HAL is no exception.

Suites used to have a newspaper delivered to their cabin every port day but that was stopped. There are still fresh flowers on HAL ships but no where like they used to have.

Their floral arrangements used to be fabulous but they are nothing like their former selves now.

All Cunard menus include a 'Canyon Ranch' selection for app, entrée and dessert with the number of calories and other nutritional info...and Cunard is part of the 'Carnival' family.

That is great to hear. I've eaten at one Canyon Ranch spa restaurants in Las Vegas. Hopefully the Cunard selections are just as tasty. Haven't found the right cruise for my schedule on Cunard to have the opportunity to try them myself.

Does HAL have an under 500 calorie meal in the MDR? If so, do they also include the nutritional information so I can calculate Weight Watcher Smart Points?

I would NEVER go on a diet when on a Cruise........what a waste.......:confused:

That is great to hear. I've eaten at one Canyon Ranch spa restaurants in Las Vegas. Hopefully the Cunard selections are just as tasty. Haven't found the right cruise for my schedule on Cunard to have the opportunity to try them myself.

their Linzer cake desserts are my favorite...enjoy

I'm a WW member, so I understand your concern. I order broiled or grilled chicken or fish with no sauce. I ask if there are 'steamed vegetables' (they aren't on the menu any more, but the galley has them). Salads are "dressing on the side". Desserts are usually the fruit plate, occasionally sherbet or sorbet. Since we have fixed seating our wait staff gets used to my orders and after a couple of evenings they bring the steamed vegetables (they have a whole plate of them, so I share with our tablemates) automatically. They like to tease about the dessert, but they are used to people with all kinds of dietary restrictions.

One thing I'd recommend is to make sure you know what a serving size looks like (hand, fist, finger, etc.). Use all of your WW skills and you should be fine. I did a 19-day cruise and only gained a pound, so it can be done.

Beware of the cookies in the afternoon!

I would NEVER go on a diet when on a Cruise........what a waste.......:confused:

Exactly how I feel - and I'm currently on a diet!!

The biggest cause of weight gain is not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH you eat. If you're serious about weight control, limit your portions. If you go to the buffet and load your plate up to overflowing and go back for seconds (which most of us do on a cruise), you will be overeating, no doubt about it.

Exactly how I feel - and I'm currently on a diet!!

The biggest cause of weight gain is not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH you eat. If you're serious about weight control, limit your portions. If you go to the buffet and load your plate up to overflowing and go back for seconds (which most of us do on a cruise), you will be overeating, no doubt about it.

Really? So if you eat cake only for breakfast, lunch and dinner that wouldn't matter? That makes about as much sense as everything in moderation. Some people are twigs and get away with eating whatever they like. Others are not so lucky.

Really? So if you eat cake only for breakfast, lunch and dinner that wouldn't matter? That makes about as much sense as everything in moderation. Some people are twigs and get away with eating whatever they like. Others are not so lucky.

Your both right in a way but at the end of the day it all comes down to simple mathematics ...if you burn less than what you put in you gain weight, simple as. Admittedly everyone burns calories at a different level.

I load my plate up at the buffet and then go back for seconds but the difference is certainly in what I eat and not just how much. I have a big green salad (leaves, peppers, cucumber etc) without dressing first and then go back for my main meal.

There's plenty of 'smart' choices in the MDR. The vegetarian options come to mind.

However, even ordering, say, a NY strip steak will keep the calories within your limitations (with just steamed veggies and no spuds).

And, I might add, you could order pretty much anything else (i.e. the featured, aka, Chef Rudi's choice, main course of the evening) but you need just to take a few tastes and not finish the plate.

It's all self discipline whether it be the MDR, Lido or and other snacks. It's okay to leave your plate with leftovers. The ocean 'fish' will love you following grinding & discharge of the food waste.

Good luck with the diet. Dieting on a cruise ship is really, really hard. I think you can do it!

Be well & remain to be so.

Bob:)