Packing ?

cakelady76

I keep reading so many different things about packing clothes will i need 3 outfits a day? I am so worried i will under pack. I will be gone 6 days.

I've never met anyone who under packed for a cruise! LOL. Typically the advice here on Cruise Critic is to figure out what you want to take and the remove half of it! I don't know why you'd need three outfits a day unless that's what you typically do. Around the ship or in port it's pretty casual during the day and then you'll probably want to freshen up for evening. I always take pants or shorts that go with all of my tops so I can switch things around. Some days I need only one outfit because I eat in the buffet and just wear what I wore during the day. Depending upon the cruise line, there will likely be people pretty casual at dinner, too.

The only time I take multiple outfits per day is when I'm going to a hot and humid climate and I know I'm going to want to change out of sweaty clothes.

For Caribbean cruises it's usually a bathing suit and cover up for the day and then dressing for dinner. If we're in port, it's shorts/capris and a top for the whole day and then dressing for dinner at night. Never packed three outfits per day, not even on the really dressy cruise lines.

The rule of thumb is to bring half the clothes you think you need.

For a 7 night cruise, my wife and I bring a carrying each and only one 26" luggage. (Save on baggage fees) Of course a good deal of that space is purses and shoes, hers. :D We still brought back clothes we did not wear.

To reduce weight and clutter, only bring along travel size toiletries that are allowable size for carryons. These get tossed before going home.

Shorts can be reworn, especially, if you're only in them for breakfast! You will spend most of your days in swimwear!

You will need something decent for dinner, in the MDR....the buffet, shorts are fine.

Edited by cb at sea

I find 2 pair of shorts and 3 tees cover breakfast for the week.

Then to my swimsuit & cover up (I am fine with 1--if it is damp the sun will dry it quickly)

Then to capris--a couple pair get me through casual dinner nights with a different top each day.

Then for nicer nights I bring either a couple dresses or dressy capris (1 pr) & 2 dressy tops.

i bring fit flops for pool & walking on port, dressy heels for nicer nights & leather flip flops for the rest of the time.

(plus undergarments, PJs, accessories)

Thanks it!

This is an interesting thread to me as even on Caribbean cruises, I don't spend the day in my swimsuit, so my packing is vastly different from what many of you describe. :p I'm just not a hang-around-the-pool kind of person, so that's a consideration when packing. I probably pack a little more than those of you who spend most sea days in your swimming attire. :D

I have a theory that there is an inverse relationship between weight of your luggage and the number of cruises you've been on - the weight decreases as you decide you really don't need all the stuff :D

I haven't been on a cold weather cruise so I can only speak to cruises where I expect to be warm. DH and I each have one checked size roller bag which are 50lb when packed to the maximum. We each have a backpack or tote bag that we carry on as well but does not contain clothing.

On sea days we wear shorts and shirt to breakfast in the MDR and then change into swimsuits for the pool. After we shower and are done with the pool we usually wear shorts until dinner time and change into a nicer outfit. We re-wear the shorts and dinner outfits as they do not get dirty after only a few hours. My rule of thumb for a 7 day cruise is an outfit for every two days, two or three dinner outfits to mix and match, two or three swimsuits, and a coverup for each day (I will not rewear these as they get gross). I always bring a light jacket and at least one pair of pants as I get cold easily.

Bring what you think you will need and have a great cruise!

What we've found is that we were one outfit during the daytime. Then we change for dinner.

You can minimize clothing be wearing certain items more than once and mixing and matching outfits.

Keith

This is how I pack also for what I wear. And include a bathing suit and a cover-up for it.

Edited by NMLady

This is an interesting thread to me as even on Caribbean cruises, I don't spend the day in my swimsuit, so my packing is vastly different from what many of you describe. :p I'm just not a hang-around-the-pool kind of person, so that's a consideration when packing. I probably pack a little more than those of you who spend most sea days in your swimming attire. :D

This. Most of the day we're dressed in clothes to participate in activities, kid's club, play minigolf, chill out and read, etc. We put our swimsuits on to use the water facilities and when we're done we change back to clothes again. Though being in Australia and fair skinned, this is also due to the better sun protection I get from clothes than a swimsuit and coverup.

As we tend to shower at night before dinner, I try to choose clothes that can do double duty as both casual wear for evening (perhaps a top with nice capris, sandals and a necklace) and then be worn the following day (with denim shorts and flipflops). Some people don't like doing this but it's no different wearing a top for 4 hours tonight and 10 hours tomorrow than it is wearing it for one continuous day and evening (plus it gets to air out a bit on the hanger overnight).

I keep reading so many different things about packing clothes will i need 3 outfits a day? I am so worried i will under pack. I will be gone 6 days.

What we've found is that we were one outfit during the daytime. Then we change for dinner.

You can minimize clothing be wearing certain items more than once and mixing and matching outfits.

Keith

We do the same, but then use that nights outfit the next morning.

We too are fans of mix and match, and gear that can be worn in layers, or by themselves.

One of the best rules of thumb we were giving when we started cruising was to lay out what you think you will need. Then remove half of the clothes, and double the money you planned on taking.

Normally, solid color shorts and pants can easily be worn more than once.

Just take different tops to wear with them.

Even some of the tops can be worn more than once.

If you are spending most of the day in a polo or a T and just putting on a top for dinner, that top will only be on for a couple of hours and can easily do two evenings if aired out between wears and maybe even hung in the bathroom for a bit of a steam.