Royal Caribbean's unwelcoming policy

Pontus

I have a Feeling cruising is not the vacation for you. Missing ports is not unusual at all. But you also complain about high Prices onboard. This is nothing out of the order either and yes there are extra charges for many Things onboard. Cruising is not AI. You stated a bad atmosphere was created By charging for everything possible - well I wasn´t on that cruise, but it would surpise me, as the charging is the same on every cruise and I´ve never seen this create a bad atmosphere.

I just think the more informed a consumer is, the better they can judge what is acceptable to them, or have a better understanding of what it is they are or are not getting in their vacation deal. When people don't do research and just go by the glossy advertising they are almost sure to be let down. It's happened to me with other forms of vacations and I've learned to do more research and set my expectations properly. you may be right, cruising may just not be for them.

I do think the amount of for charge items is starting to get a bit out of hand and does diminish the relaxing, care free vibe a little bit.

It might be the Business model today, but the big question is why is it like this? Why has it as you seem to think changed from the past?

IMO the reason for any Change is us the Society. Today we live in a greedy me, me, me Society where everybody screams for compensation for almost everything and easily threatens to sue.

So what will this do to the businesses? They will be much more careful in what they do as they might Need to have any of their Actions being tested in front of a judge. So they Play By the contract and not do anything else.

You say a drink Coupon would have gone a Long way, maybe it would, but others would still have complained and stated it was not good enough. I.e. OP didn´t ask for a free drink, but 24-hours free Internet. Quite a difference already.

If they always gave away a free drink with every missed port, would it still be a matter of "doing it right By their customers"? Or would it be the expected Thing, still causing dissapointment and asking for the next Thing to make it right?

Next you say it would cost them next to nothing. I don´t agree here. Costs do add up if given to thousands and they´d have to do it for every missed port, which is not a rare occurance unlike stated By the OP.

We all have to accept there is nothing like a freeby in this world. Every extra cost for "give-aways" Needs to be factored into the cruise fare. We will pay for it one way or the other. If having a choice I´d rather have that freeby not built into my cruise fare, but pay for it individually at the time I want it.

Cruising used to be a a luxury vacation with only few wealthy People being able to afford it.

These days it is still a luxury to some, but it´s affordable to a much wider Population. This could only happen with lower Prices, but of course it can´t be the same luxury product anymore either.

It´s not about greedy companies, it´s about a greedy Society.

Right, right and Corporations are people too. Capitalism good, people bad.

Sorry, my replay was ment to emdia43. I'm not complaining about the bad weather or that the safety has been taken care of. A small friendly gesture would have been enough. I traveled from the other side of the world to see Nassau.

That's sort of like traveling from the other side of the world to see Camden, NJ

I bet they won't make a mistake like that again! That had to be horribly disappointing.

"I have arrived from halfway around the world to see you Nassau! I bring the greetings of my people! We are excited to be here and can't wait to immerse ourselves in the spirit of Nassau! Everything looks so wonder... wait is that a giant pile horse poo in the road? Stop!!! I don't want my hair braided! NO! I don't need a taxi!!! Stop trying to touch me! What are you doing? Leave me alone! No! I'm sure it's great, but... what? What do you mean that a $5 excursion is $350??? We're just going back to the ship. Good-bye Nassau! I take it all back!"

Sorry, my replay was ment to emdia43. I'm not complaining about the bad weather or that the safety has been taken care of. A small friendly gesture would have been enough. I traveled from the other side of the world to see Nassau.

In my experience, Royal Caribbean has been very willing to doll out friendly gestures when the situation is warranted.

Missing a port due to weather is part of cruising. The friendly gesture that Royal provided you is another fun day at sea.

Tom, I would also add:

Perhaps they do "make more money" when you have to stay on board, but they end up with rather unhappy crew.

The crew REJOICE when the ship hits port. So many of them get to SLEEP - something they don't get nearly enough of - when the passengers get off in port.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It might be the Business model today, but the big question is why is it like this? Why has it as you seem to think changed from the past?

IMO the reason for any Change is us the Society. Today we live in a greedy me, me, me Society where everybody screams for compensation for almost everything and easily threatens to sue.

So what will this do to the businesses? They will be much more careful in what they do as they might Need to have any of their Actions being tested in front of a judge. So they Play By the contract and not do anything else.

You say a drink Coupon would have gone a Long way, maybe it would, but others would still have complained and stated it was not good enough. I.e. OP didn´t ask for a free drink, but 24-hours free Internet. Quite a difference already.

If they always gave away a free drink with every missed port, would it still be a matter of "doing it right By their customers"? Or would it be the expected Thing, still causing dissapointment and asking for the next Thing to make it right?

Next you say it would cost them next to nothing. I don´t agree here. Costs do add up if given to thousands and they´d have to do it for every missed port, which is not a rare occurance unlike stated By the OP.

We all have to accept there is nothing like a freeby in this world. Every extra cost for "give-aways" Needs to be factored into the cruise fare. We will pay for it one way or the other. If having a choice I´d rather have that freeby not built into my cruise fare, but pay for it individually at the time I want it.

Cruising used to be a a luxury vacation with only few wealthy People being able to afford it.

These days it is still a luxury to some, but it´s affordable to a much wider Population. This could only happen with lower Prices, but of course it can´t be the same luxury product anymore either.

It´s not about greedy companies, it´s about a greedy Society.

This is the best post I've ever read on cc.

Right, right and Corporations are people too. Capitalism good, people bad.

Because there's no people in a corporation right? Does that mean there are no people in a union either? Nice straw man argument. :rolleyes:

Missed Santorini Greece! Yiks, but what do you do? I called the spa and had a facial :)

It was beautiful that morning as we sailed thru the Caldera and the Port Authorities closed the port due to bad weather expected later in the day. And by 3pm we were long gone as the bad weather finally hit port.

We had a picture perfect day a sea, no complaints here! We will try again and see Santorini another time!

Edited by JVilleGal

I sympathize with you, OP, as it is always disappointing to miss a port, especially one that you were looking forward to. Unfortunately, this does happen, the only time we've ever been given anything other than our port charges refunded was on a Baltic cruise in 2004 on Jewel. We were unable to port in Helsinki due to the weather so the captain announced there would be 2 hours of free drinks that afternoon. :D:D

Our Vision cruise last month had some disappointments also. Our day in Key West was cut short due to an approaching storm and it rained buckets all day. We ended up just staying on the ship. AND we had to miss Labadee due to the protests. We were reimbursed for port fees, about $7 each, and we got to have some extra time in San Juan, which is not one of my favorite ports! Not the cruise we had planned on but we still had a good time.

If the disappointments are something you find unacceptable, then I agree with others who have said maybe cruising is not the ideal vacation for you.

Sherri:)

The only compensation you should expect is a refund of your port fees for Nassau. Not being able to go to a port due to weather is VERY common in the winter. It happened to us on Carnival. Plus if more people would read the tiny, fine print, you would see that this is mentioned when you make your reservations.

Because there's no people in a corporation right? Does that mean there are no people in a union either? Nice straw man argument. :rolleyes:

The ENTITY of a corporation is not a person. People have different laws/rules than corporations, including tax and bankruptcy laws. Also, corporations may openly spy on you personally online, with your every keystroke. Perfectly legal. If an individual was doing that to another individual they would probably be arrested.

For those of you who put the interests of the corporations above those of the rights of individuals, by all means continue to do so. You have that right. As for me and others, we cherish the individual rights of people over those of a corporate entity. To each their own.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou
spelling

On our cruise to Nassau on the Majesty of Seas food and service was good, but the company's unwelcoming policy in an unusual situation was surprising and unpleasant. Due to the hard wind the ship did not visit Nassau at all. The company could have been able to soften the disappointment in many ways, which would have cost practically nothing, but nothing was offered. No compensation was given, not even internet time at a reduced price, not to mention free. (The connection would have been free in Nassau at Starbucks.) When I asked for it, the replay was: "We owe you nothing." Perhaps this is true legally, but it does not tell good about the company's policy and shows its greedy attitude. Charge of the internet connection was $ 20 / day / device. Price is high, like all the other prices onboard: glass of wine $ 10 and bottle of water $ 3. The tendency to charge for everything possible created a very bad atmosphere.

Congratulations on your first post getting over a 100 replies and 10k views in less than a week, welcome to CC!

The ENTITY of a corporation is not a person. Actually under U.S.Law, it is defined as a person.People have different laws/rules than corporations, including tax The tax code is the same whether you are defined as a "natural" person, or a corporation.and bankruptcy laws Different chapters of the same law C=C7/11; I=C9/14, but the rules are identical. Also, corporations may openly spy on you personally online, with your every keystroke Only if you are on their premises, and are using their equipment. If you came in to my house and used my computer, I would have the exact same right to track your every keystroke - also perfectly legal. Perfectly legal. If an individual was doing that to another individual they would probably be arrested.

For those of you who put the interests of the corporations above those of the rights of individuals, by all means continue to do so. You have that right. As for me and others, we cherish the individual rights of people over those of a corporate entity. To each their own.

Wrong on so many levels:rolleyes:

Edited by orville99