Just booked Bermuda on Summit in May - First cruise on X

NCMountains

Hi all, first post.

Background:

Wife and I are both in our mid-30's, this will be our second cruise together (Having done SB Alaska a couple of years back on Princess).

We couldn't pass this opportunity up! We wanted to do a trip this summer, and Zika put a damper on nearly all of our options, but Bermuda seems safe from that for the time being, at least. We decided to splurge a little and book Concierge Class, and in looking at the deck plans I noticed the C1 cabins in "Suite Land" on deck 6 and thought those looked...interesting. Did some checking and saw the rave reviews, and managed to snag #6143! Really looking forward to taking in the sea views from that big teak veranda!

Also went ahead and opted for the "Go Best" package, so we got Premium drinks, unlimited intertubes, $150 obc, and pre-paid gratuity...at the promo price of $315 pp, that was unbeatable - I know I'll get our money's worth out of the martini bar, anyway. :D

Speaking of which, does anyone know if/when this stuff will appear on our reservation? I still have the option to buy the Premium package and unlimited internet when I log in.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, thanks for the advice I got from lurking, and share the excitement.

Side note: If anyone has any thoughts on what the demographic on this cruise is going to look like, I'd be interested. We're certainly not looking to have a party boat where we spend the night raving in the nightclub, but having some folks around our age to hang out with after dinner would be nice. Not trying to be harsh here, but our Alaska cruise may as well have been on the SS St. Peter's Waiting Room...when I say that my wife, her brother, myself, and one other couple were the only people over 10 and under 60 years old on the ship, I'm not exaggerating in the least. The ship was a ghost town after 9:00 pm, and as such they closed most of the public venues, and the band would play to an empty room...kinda sad.

Great cruise we did it two years ago. First thing I would suggest is to get the three day transportation ticket so you can travel all over the island by ferry and bus. Because the schools are out for the summer in the New England area there will be a lot of kids on board. If you want to do something different take a trip to Tababco Bay, nice beach and great snorkling. You picked a great trip Enjoy.

J.

Hi, wecome to Cruise Critic and Celebrity.

When in May? Usually very quiet and older crowd then as kids are still in school. We've done this cruise the past 3 years all in May. Schools are not even close to being out in the tri-state area. They don't get out until mid-June - around Father's Day.

Let's just say I'd give anything to be in my mid-30's again.

As we usually book inside cabins after final payment which don't come with any perks, I can't help you with the Go Big, etc. showing up on your reservations.

Been to Bermuda 3 times for 7 day sailings and twice for 1 day stops.

There are usually a lot of younger couples on the Bermuda sailings because it a very traditional trip for newlyweds and couples celebrating anniversaries. There's a very large pool of prospective cruisers in the Northeast and not much else going on unless you're retired and take 14 days sailings.

Never been on Summit but have been on RCL Serenade OTS which is same size. That was a really nice ship.

Summit cruise is great because it is a 7 day sailing. You spend 3 days at the Dockyards. RCCL has only been offering 5 night sailings which only gives 2.5 days actually there. NCL offers 7 day trips but it's not Celebrity standards.

Of course everyone loves Horseshoe Bay for good reason. If you want to you can try to go down to the Elbow Beach Resort and use their beach, just give the attendant 15-20 bucks to be there and use a chair.

There is a very nice beach with very little waves over by Fort St. Catherine on the other side by St. George. It is rarely as busy as Horseshoe Bay, just no wave action.

Haven't been there but I hear there is a very nice beach where the former U.S. naval station was. I think it's been turned into a public preserve.

Worth taking a ride on the hovercraft over to Hamilton which takes only 25 minutes. You can ride the bus back down to the Dockyards from the bus terminal which gives you a feel for the insides of the islands.

If you golf you're in golfer's heaven. Just expensive.

Be aware that the residents of the islands are much more formal than other places you may visit for example in the Caribbean. I got the female bus driver angry because my bathing suit wasn't completely dry and got the seat damp. So use the changing rooms or remember to sit on a towel. Just an example.

Don't sweat the small stuff and remember the song: Bermuda is another world, 700 miles at sea, and the people that will greet you are like a lovely melody...google it on youTube.

Happy sailing.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

I'm an avid SCUBA diver, so I'll likely spend a couple of days looking at shipwrecks, and the wife and I both love to golf, so we will be sure to pack our clubs!

Seems like the weather that time of year (Early May) is just luck of the draw. I've seen reports from people that saw days of 80F+, and others in the low 70s, so I think we'll just make game-time decisions as far as what we do depending on the weather.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

I'm an avid SCUBA diver, so I'll likely spend a couple of days looking at shipwrecks, and the wife and I both love to golf, so we will be sure to pack our clubs!

Seems like the weather that time of year (Early May) is just luck of the draw. I've seen reports from people that saw days of 80F+, and others in the low 70s, so I think we'll just make game-time decisions as far as what we do depending on the weather.

Early May the air temperature will be nice. Great golf weather. The water temperature won't be warm. Too cool for me personally to snorkel or swim. That why I don't book May anymore since I am not a golfer. Definitely bring a wet suit for your diving.

Early May the air temperature will be nice. Great golf weather. The water temperature won't be warm. Too cool for me personally to snorkel or swim. That why I don't book May anymore since I am not a golfer. Definitely bring a wet suit for your diving.

Be prepared for the weather in NJ which can be iffy also, it could be warm or still quite cold.

Make sure you check out the East Coast Board especially the following thread. Lots of info about hotels, getting around and Bermuda itself. One of the best threads in all of Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163707

Also, check the Bermuda board.

Finally, here's a link to the Summit Roll Calls, just find your date. These are the people who will be on the cruise with you. Usually they set up a couple of parties and other functions which you of course do not have to get involved in if you do not wish.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=9&ship_id=251

Edited by dkjretired

We're going in mid-May and will be right by 'your' cabin. Really looking forward to it since it's a new itinerary for us. Bermuda just isn't that popular with us West Coasters so that will be kind-of fun to do something different. I particularly chose the date so that there wouldn't be a ton of kids onboard. I was told mid-May was a good time to go because most kids will be in school still so I don't understand the comment above about it being packed with kids. :confused:

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We're going in mid-May and will be right by 'your' cabin. Really looking forward to it since it's a new itinerary for us. Bermuda just isn't that popular with us West Coasters so that will be kind-of fun to do something different. I particularly chose the date so that there wouldn't be a ton of kids onboard. I was told mid-May was a good time to go because most kids will be in school still so I don't understand the comment above about it being packed with kids. :confused:

I think they must have misunderstood the dates. May is not summer and Summit won't be have a lot of kids onboard until the last the two weeks of June thru the month of August. I usually shoot for the second week of June before most schools are out and the water temperature is warm enough for swimming. Or September which has the best beach weather, unless there is a hurricane....

My friends from the West Coast say they might as well go to Hawaii....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

we booked with go best is package also. It shows on our payment receipt, I think it took about 48 hours for all the perks to show on the bill. When I log in it still shows the drink packages and Internet as options to purchase, I'm guessing they are always there.

Check out the Frog and Onion Pub at dockside...good food/drink/music...lively place walking distance from the ship....

Bermuda itself is more sedate than other places...but great restaurants, shops and natural beauty. ENJOY!

I think they must have misunderstood the dates. May is not summer and Summit won't be have a lot of kids onboard until the last the two weeks of June thru the month of August. I usually shoot for the second week of June before most schools are out and the water temperature is warm enough for swimming. Or September which has the best beach weather, unless there is a hurricane....

My friends from the West Coast say they might as well go to Hawaii....

That's usually where most of us end up - in Hawaii. Been there, done that a bunch of times and although it's beautiful, there's just something about the blue water in the Caribbean (and hopefully, Bermuda!).

How cold is the water in May? Are we talking low 60's or what? Are you comparing it to the Caribbean which is almost always in the 80's?

That's usually where most of us end up - in Hawaii. Been there, done that a bunch of times and although it's beautiful, there's just something about the blue water in the Caribbean (and hopefully, Bermuda!).

How cold is the water in May? Are we talking low 60's or what? Are you comparing it to the Caribbean which is almost always in the 80's?

Yes, compared to the Caribbean. In May it will be low to mid 70's. It is in the 80's in July, August, September. It gets up to 80 during In June toward the end of June. Everyone has different tolerances, I can acclimate to the water between 75 and 80. Lower than that, May Bermuda water temperature I can't tolerate.

Edited by Charles4515

My DH and I have vacationed in Bermuda ten times since our honeymoon ,many moons ago.

Some vacations were stays at resorts and some on cruises.

We have taken Princess,which no longer visits Bermuda very often .

That port stop is usually on their TA itineraries.

We have also taken cruises on Celebrity (Summit before dry dock upgrades) and NCL.

Most recently,we sailed on the NCL Breakaway out of NYC this past September.

I know this is the Celebrity forum,but IMHO, I think you would find a younger group of passengers on the Breakaway.

They have the rock climbing wall,water slides,a rope course and a good amount of late evening entertainment.

The Summit has a more sedate atmosphere.

Choosing a cruise line is totally subjective though and I hope you enjoy your trip to Bermuda- it is a very special place with lovely scenery and people.

By the way, if you plan to.play golf,there is a fine course at the Fairmont Southampton hotel. It is a par three,but it is a bit challenging - at least for us!

The staff at the resort and the clubhouse are friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your vacation!

We have also taken cruises on Celebrity (Summit before dry dock upgrades) and NCL. Most recently,we sailed on the NCL Breakaway out of NYC this past September.I know this is the Celebrity forum,but IMHO, I think you would find a younger group of passengers on the Breakaway.

By the way, if you plan to.play golf,there is a fine course at the Fairmont Southampton hotel. It is a par three,but it is a bit challenging - at least for us!

The staff at the resort and the clubhouse are friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is true that Breakaway has a younger demographic. Been on Breakaway and really disliked it because it was so crowded and the food was lousy but there was a younger group of passsengers and more nightlife. A lot of kids on board but probably not so much May.

As far as golf, I don't golf, but one of my cruise buddies who I travel with to Bermuda who golfs every weekend, has played every course in Bermuda that allows non members, now always does Port Royal and recommends it. You might want to try it.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, compared to the Caribbean. In May it will be low to mid 70's. It is in the 80's in July, August, September. It gets up to 80 during In June toward the end of June. Everyone has different tolerances, I can acclimate to the water between 75 and 80. Lower than that, May Bermuda water temperature I can't tolerate.

OH! That's warm! Yeah! :) What a relief as "cold" water to us is in the low 60's. I don't like water that cold, but I can't help myself and go in anyway. I was just at the beach on Monday and after the first minute or so, I was numb and couldn't feel the 62 degrees. :cool: Thanks for the information.

Hi everyone,

Do you know if the Port or Starboard side is facing toward the land once the ship has docked in Bermuda for Celebrity?

Thanks

Basil and Mom

It can be either side. Since it is required to test lifeboats and do drills. Also painting and other maintenance is done while the ship is in port. Wind direction and tides might also enter into which side the Captain chooses. I have pictures showing Summit and Breakaway, and other ships docked on different sides at the Dockyard.

Hi all, first post.

Background:

Wife and I are both in our mid-30's, this will be our second cruise together (Having done SB Alaska a couple of years back on Princess).

We couldn't pass this opportunity up! We wanted to do a trip this summer, and Zika put a damper on nearly all of our options, but Bermuda seems safe from that for the time being, at least. We decided to splurge a little and book Concierge Class, and in looking at the deck plans I noticed the C1 cabins in "Suite Land" on deck 6 and thought those looked...interesting. Did some checking and saw the rave reviews, and managed to snag #6143! Really looking forward to taking in the sea views from that big teak veranda!

Also went ahead and opted for the "Go Best" package, so we got Premium drinks, unlimited intertubes, $150 obc, and pre-paid gratuity...at the promo price of $315 pp, that was unbeatable - I know I'll get our money's worth out of the martini bar, anyway. :D

Speaking of which, does anyone know if/when this stuff will appear on our reservation? I still have the option to buy the Premium package and unlimited internet when I log in.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, thanks for the advice I got from lurking, and share the excitement.

Side note: If anyone has any thoughts on what the demographic on this cruise is going to look like, I'd be interested. We're certainly not looking to have a party boat where we spend the night raving in the nightclub, but having some folks around our age to hang out with after dinner would be nice. Not trying to be harsh here, but our Alaska cruise may as well have been on the SS St. Peter's Waiting Room...when I say that my wife, her brother, myself, and one other couple were the only people over 10 and under 60 years old on the ship, I'm not exaggerating in the least. The ship was a ghost town after 9:00 pm, and as such they closed most of the public venues, and the band would play to an empty room...kinda sad.

If you are going to be on the may 8th sailing, you're welcome! I recently switched out of 6143 to grab an aft c1 instead. :) And if this is your sailing, I am getting married on this ship and will be bringing a group of 56 on board with me. Most of my group are in their mid 30's - mid 40's, so you should find plenty of folks your age to spend time with. :)

Welcome aboard! This will be my second time on the summit, and I love this ship.

Edited by MonaCK

Bermuda is beautiful. People are nice. Weather is good. You picked a fantastic place for your first X cruise. I have been to Bermuda many times...flying in and cruising. In May I will be on the Summit. It will be my 6th cruise to Bermuda. All but one cruise were on Celebrity. Relax and enjoy!