Are men still wearing tuxedos on Celebrity?

bookitdanno

Since 95% of cruisers aren't on CC and most likely do not look up the dress code online for every cruise I think it will take a year or 2 for most to realize this change but thankfully it will slowly move away from tuxes for most men I'm sure.......perfect timing for me as I am over wearing my tuxes on cruises :D

I am hoping people still do. I like to make a bit of an effort and was looking forward to wearing my 'posh' frock on our upcoming Eclipse trip.

I shall be watching this thread to see the general consensus.

We've not been on Celebrity since the change, Royal made the change earlier but people still made a bit of an effort but not so many in Tux on them.

Still formel on Royal, just back from Dubai cruise.

On a 14 night cruise on Solstice in January, we saw very few - maybe 5-10% at the most. The only place we really saw them was around the Martini Bar just before dinner - seemed to be the gathering spot for the more formal crowd. Most men looked nice, I'd guess over 50% in suits or nice jackets, the others in collared dress shirts with or without ties.

Now that Celebrity has gone to "Evening Chic" to replace formal nights, are men still wearing tuxedos on those nights? My wife and I love to dress up when we are on cruises. For us, it makes the whole cruise experience more special.

I did this past Dec/Jan, on the Equinox. To add my own form of chic, I wore an ascot tie w/formal shirt + my black Tux. People on our cruise were dressed up about the same as our last Celebrity cruise. It will be interesting to see the changes going forward.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We just cruised on the Solstice from Sydney around New Zealand we had 2 "chic" evenings only saw one tux, 30% suits, majority nice trousers with shirt. Women mainly in knee length dresses, dressed up with jewellery & elegant shoes.

Some even wore jeans.

I like the new dress code as I am on a vacation to enjoy & relax. Also less to pack! Speaking with most males they also like it as many wear suits to work, so they want to feel relaxed on a cruise holiday.

Times are a changing it did not make the night seem any less formal everyone still "behaved" and had a wonderful evening. Each to there own, if you like to wear a Tux or a cocktail gown then do so if people are going to judge people on what they wear that's really sad :-(

Extremely enjoyed the cruise the crew and passengers we met were wonderful.

I just got off Reflection today, Western Caribbean. I wore a tux both nights and surprisingly, I saw quite a few. There were a lot of suit/tie combos, however, not necessarily dark. And honestly, it seemed people dressed nicer on the other nights than I remember in the past.

In Murano the first night (it was Valentine's dinner), I would say a third were in tuxes and the rest in suit/tie. On Thursday, we ate at Lawn Club Grill, only 6 tables occupied, I was in a tux, a table of 2 couples, both men in tuxes, the rest in jacket/no tie. It was REALLY windy that night so very few people eating there.

Your DH will have others to join him. We've found that TA and Med cruises tend to be dressier. JMHO[emoji4]

I agree, with Caribbean and Alaska cruises tending to be more casual.

It also can vary depending on the mix of passenger nationalities on any cruise.

Brits generally tend to dress more formally for dinner and Americans more casually,

no matter how much we enjoy watching the way they dress for dinner on Downton Abbey. ;)

Edited by fleckle

Only a few tuxedos on the Solstice last month, and only a few dark suits too. My husband and our friends wore tuxes but they did feel conspicuous.

Thank you for a believable post, RosieCanberra! Quite refreshing from the malarkey posted in most of the replies on this thread by the formal wear proponents. Very far-fetched that formal wear is higher now than before Celebrity eliminated formal nights! Celebrity knows how people are actually dressing. They aren't going to reinstate formal nights / formal wear based on repetitive baloney on here.

On our last cruise, less than 1% in tux on elegant chic nights. Capacity = 2,850. If half male = 1,425 males. Doubtful there were 14 tuxedos on board (1%).

Thank you for a believable post, RosieCanberra! Quite refreshing from the malarkey posted in most of the replies on this thread by the formal wear proponents. Very far-fetched that formal wear is higher now than before Celebrity eliminated formal nights! Celebrity knows how people are actually dressing. They aren't going to reinstate formal nights / formal wear based on repetitive baloney on here.

On our last cruise, less than 1% in tux on elegant chic nights. Capacity = 2,850. If half male = 1,425 males. Doubtful there were 14 tuxedos on board (1%).

Thank you for your eloquent response. I assume you were responding to my post. While I enjoy wearing formal wear, I am by far a "proponent". There have been many "dress code" threads on this board for quite some time and I have never responded to any. I wear what I want. The OP asked about what the current trend seems to be. I stated only my observations, that there were many tuxes that I saw (did not go into the statistical data, but there was definitely way more than 14 tuxes). Formal wear did not seem to be more or less than any cruise I have been on since 2008, albeit only 4 Celebrity cruises. I have no agenda either way, but looking at your signature, I think you have one. Wear what you want, enjoy your vacation, and no, I did not feel conspicuous.

You will never be turned away from any restaurant on a cruise ship for wearing a tuxedo.

You may, however, be turned away for dressing too casually, such as in torn shorts, or inappropriate logos on tank tops.

Although Celebrity has relaxed its attire guidelines, there is nothing in the world that says you cannot wear a tuxedo if you choose. By the same token, if you wish to come to the restaurant in nice resort linen wear or silks, that is ok as well.

If you are worried about what sort of passing glances you may endure, just remember that none of us are in high school anymore. How you dress is a reflection of how we choose to present our physical appearance. How we act, however.....well that is a different story altogether now, isn't it?

Have fun! That is why we are cruising after all. Cheers!

2 weeks on Millennium last month.

Still saw traditional formal dress but at a noticeable decline from our previous 25 Celebrity cruises. Maybe, at best 10% tux wear. I don't think a one felt the least bit out of place, though. The new policy is a rip-roaring win-win for all.

And for those hoping for a reversal of policy, Celebrity is quite happy with the breadth of response they are receiving and know they made the right decision for them.

2 weeks on Millennium last month.

Still saw traditional formal dress but at a noticeable decline from our previous 25 Celebrity cruises. Maybe, at best 10% tux wear. I don't think a one felt the least bit out of place, though. The new policy is a rip-roaring win-win for all.

And for those hoping for a reversal of policy, Celebrity is quite happy with the breadth of response they are receiving and know they made the right decision for them.

I completely agree with the above sentiment. We cruised earlier this month on the Solstice and saw probably two tux's on the Chic Night. I have no problem with people dressing up if they wish, but it was great for myself to be able to just take smart slacks and a dress shirt, instead of a suit, bow tie, other ties, which add weight to your luggage.

We have traveled Cunard on a number of previous occasions and it was a nice change to have a more relaxed sense of dress. I wear a suit and tie at work and it's the last thing I want to wear on holidays.

Speaking for myself I have been a "Blue Collar" worker for 40+ years so I have to wear "work' clothes every day. That being said I have always enjoyed putting on my tux and dressing up. I do it for me, not everyone else. I just like the way I feel when I dress nice and don't really care what anybody else wears. To each there own. However, I will continue to wear my tux.....for me.:D

We're doing Hawaii to Vancouver on Solstice this April. Under discussion for DH is black suit or tan/cream suit. Have already decided against tux (don't want to make alterations before the cruise). Most nights will be in Aloha shirts & khakis. Guess the decision will be what I decide to bring. What first-world issues we have. Hi Susan (Cruisen'Susan). We're back on Equinox 24 Mar 2017, join us again. Melody

We're doing Hawaii to Vancouver on Solstice this April. Under discussion for DH is black suit or tan/cream suit. Have already decided against tux (don't gwant to make alterations before the cruise). Most nights will be in Aloha shirts & khakis. Guess the decision will be what I decide to bring. What first-world issues we have. Hi Susan (Cruisen'Susan). We're back on Equinox 24 Mar 2017, join us again. Melody

Omg, Melody!! I had forgotten your username!!

By all means when cruising Hawaii, flowers and Hawaiian shirts abound. Hawaii in general is so casual, people wear flip flops to their businesses!

Good for you regarding your plans, it's so addicting, isn't it? Would love to join you in 2017 again, but we are already booked on the Equinox 3 Mar 2017.

Right now I'm researching Panama Canal dates. Haven't done that one yet.

Please say hi to Les, Linda and Jerry!

Happy cruising!

Susan

DH likes wearing his tux! and I enjoy shopping for the LBD. It doesn't matter what anyone else is wearing.... Do what's right for you. On the Allure there weren't too many tuxes, which actually DH pointed out. He still plans on bringing it next year. One of our party was actually upset his wife didn't tell him someone would be wearing a tux, so plans on bringing his next year too. Even if he didn't have a tux he would put on a suit and tie, we do like the formal nights. Plus, his treat is a Johnny Walker Blue only when wearing a tux... LOL. Says it's worth it :D