Radiance OTS aft balconies--covered?

NoWhiners

Hi all

Well, it looks like we are about to book our first RCI cruise! We are thinking about what kind of balcony cabin we would like and are considering an aft E1/2 or D1. Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me if the aft balconies are covered/semi-covered? We would like to have some shade to sit in. Any specific suggestions for your fav aft cabin? Fav balcony cabin (or least favorite, so we know what to avoid)?

I'd also love to hear any tips you have for first-time RCI cruisers. We have cruised on many HAL ships and about to do our first Princess next month. RCI is totally new to us, so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

ML

We have booked JS 1100 (love it), and would highly recommend 9256 for a D1. The amount of shade will vary, with the time of day and position of the ship. Radiance class offers the best fantail location, as it isn't obstructed by the superstructure- views are fantastic! :cool: You can only be seen on your balcony from above if you are standing at the rail. And we haven't experienced a noise issue on Deck 10 from the Windjammer. This photo will give you a good look at the Radiance aft staterooms:

Here is a picture of Radiance's aft cabins and balconies.

Radiancestern.jpg

We have booked JS 1100 (love it), and would highly recommend 9256 for a D1. The amount of shade will vary, with the time of day and position of the ship. Radiance class offers the best fantail location, as it isn't obstructed by the superstructure- views are fantastic! :cool: You can only be seen on your balcony from above if you are standing at the rail. And we haven't experienced a noise issue on Deck 10 from the Windjammer. This photo will give you a good look at the Radiance aft staterooms:

jmf123

wow, thanks, this pix is great, very helpful.

ML

Do NOT get a D aft-facing cabin on deck 10. LOTS of noise from the Windjammer above you.

Book deck 10 afts on this class every chance we get and have never had a problem with WJ noise above us . For starters, you're not under the WJ, you're under the outdoor patio aft of the WJ, so unless there's a meal going on, there's nothing up there to make noise.:)

We were in 1602 last week on Serenade, sister ship. There was constant LOUD noise from the Windjammer above us from about 7 AM until after closing time at 9 PM. Mostly it was chairs scraping back and forth. We met people in the D cabin next to our right. They also experienced major noise all day. They stated "never again" for that cabin. That area IS part of the Windjammer and is full of tables and chairs. We have cruised RCI many times and that is the noisiest cabin we have ever experienced. Good for all of you that have had no problems with deck 10. But we certainly did have noise issues as did our friends in 1082 JS. Just trying to be helpful to the OP.

Edited by 39august

We were in 1602 last week on Serenade, sister ship. There was constant LOUD noise from the Windjammer above us from about 7 AM until after closing time at 9 PM. Mostly it was chairs scraping back and forth. We met people in the D cabin next to our right. They also experienced major noise all day. They stated "never again" for that cabin. That area IS part of the Windjammer and is full of tables and chairs. We have cruised RCI many times and that is the noisiest cabin we have ever experienced. Good for all of you that have had no problems with deck 10. But we certainly did have noise issues as did our friends in 1082 JS. Just trying to be helpful to the OP.

Definitely good to know. We are looking at cabins on Decks 7 & 9 right now.

Thx

ML

Have had an aft balcony on Deck 10 on all four of the Radiance class ships. Not a noise to worry about. I've heard what some have mentioned on here regarding noise. But, I think it's in the "ears" of the beholder. We have occasionally heard some movement in the Windjammer, but nothing that would keep us awake or wake us up. 90% of the time we didn't hear anything at all. Just occasionally a noise here and there, but not a bother at all.

You're not on deck 10 anyway, so it doesn't affect you, but for those reading this thread. Book deck 10 and don't worry about it. One benefit is no one can look down onto your balcony, so it's more private. If that's something you care about.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

We will be on the Jewel for a 15 night transatlantic cruise the week after it comes back into service from its dry dock at the end of April.

We have cruised many times, but, have never been in an aft cabin, however, we got lucky I guess, from what I've been reading and do indeed have cabin 9256 for this cruise.

I'm assuming with a refurbished ship, room and the first 7 days of the cruise at sea, my wife and I might just become spoiled and never want to get off.

I would love to read any comments from others who have been in this cabin or similar.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Was told that during dry dock before we board all of the rooms will be redone including the balconies. I assume that means new furniture, carpet, TV, bedding, etc. Never been on a ship before when it's going to be this new and fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave4120

We were in 9256 on the Jewel last April - loved the big balcony! We've previously stayed in 1104 (deck ten aft) and had no issues with noise from the Wndjammer above. You really can't go wrong with an aft balcony on a Radiance class ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The center aft cabins have a LOT of shade, kind of cave like IMHO. Some like it to escape the full sun, some don't. We prefer the sides that have less cover and let more light in. DH is sun lizard and likes to lounge out on that big balcony.

We have 9256 again for our Radiance cruise in Alaska. This time B2B with that cabin for both legs. :D Lots of sun and light coming into our cabin and balcony while cruising in Alaska is most welcome!

Edited by island lady

GET SHADE!!!! After a long day in the sun you will all be pround you did

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, we are definitely going to do this. That's a big reason why I have started reading thru posts here and posted this question. I am trying to find the shadiest (as in no sun, not questionable character ;) ) balcony cabins. It is pretty hard to do easily. We'll be in NZ in late summer, so I expect we will need relief from the heat.

Thanks

ML

Yes, we are definitely going to do this. That's a big reason why I have started reading thru posts here and posted this question. I am trying to find the shadiest (as in no sun, not questionable character ;) ) balcony cabins. It is pretty hard to do easily. We'll be in NZ in late summer, so I expect we will need relief from the heat.

Thanks

ML

Then I would definitely go for the center aft cabins. Nice big balconies...lots of shade, and beautiful view of the wake...mesmerizing! :)

Then I would definitely go for the center aft cabins. Nice big balconies...lots of shade, and beautiful view of the wake...mesmerizing! :)

I can get 7174, 7176 or 7674. Are these all the same or is one better than another?

Thx

ML

I can get 7174, 7176 or 7674. Are these all the same or is one better than another?

Thx

ML

Have not stayed on deck 7, so I am not much help there. Have only stayed on deck nine, (9256 many times) but have seen center aft cabins on cabin crawls I organized in the past on both decks nine and 10. I do know the higher up you go, the less vibration from the engines, and for the corner cabins anyway, the balconies are bigger the further up you go.

Hopefully someone that has stayed in those cabins will chime in to help you there.

Have not stayed on deck 7, so I am not much help there. Have only stayed on deck nine, (9256 many times) but have seen center aft cabins on cabin crawls I organized in the past on both decks nine and 10. I do know the higher up you go, the less vibration from the engines, and for the corner cabins anyway, the balconies are bigger the further up you go.

Hopefully someone that has stayed in those cabins will chime in to help you there.

what about 9658? shady and no vibration?

thanks so much--I am trying to book online as we speak, err, write!

ML

Thx

ML

Not an appreciable difference, in my opinion. After a corner aft, we prefer the most centered aft. We've been in Radiance class 9256 (X 3) , 1102, 1104 and 1602 .

I have to disagree with those who state you will have shade every day. While the balcony has covering from the deck above, if the sun is behind the ship, the balcony will be in full sun and can be hot. Depending on the direction of the ship and where the sun is, most, of not all cabins will get some direct sun.

ENJOY

M