locating meclizine - travel sickness

:eek:On our last cruise my daughter was really sick until she was given meclizine at guest services - it was wonderful stuff! (we took several uk brands of motion sickness tablets with us, but they were useless)

We are cruising again in a few weeks and i'm trying to get hold of some here in the UK but can't find any. It is available here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ATM6XC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2W8OXVV04JT4X but it can't be shipped to us - any ideas?

Many thanks

:eek:On our last cruise my daughter was really sick until she was given meclizine at guest services - it was wonderful stuff! (we took several uk brands of motion sickness tablets with us, but they were useless)

We are cruising again in a few weeks and i'm trying to get hold of some here in the UK but can't find any. It is available here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ATM6XC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2W8OXVV04JT4X but it can't be shipped to us - any ideas?

Many thanks

Are you arriving at your cruise directly? Or are you arriving a day or two early? If you're arriving early, you can find meclizine (Bonine generic) at most pharmacys, as well as WalMart and Target stores.

thanks, I'll search for some of those - the cruise leaves from the UK, so i won't be able to buy any from pharmacies before i go unfortunately. I will have a search under the trade names, thank you

HAL gives it out at Front Office. They have it in the Infirmary as well.

Perhaps your cruise line/ship does the same.

I don't know your itinerary but perhaps you could buy it in your first port if you will be out of U.K.

My state requires a prescription but most states in U.S. permit it to be sold over the counter. It is odd that in my state I can buy bonine and other brand names that are mentioned OTC but not the generic meclizine...... at least that was the case the last I checked.

thanks, I'll search for some of those - the cruise leaves from the UK, so i won't be able to buy any from pharmacies before i go unfortunately. I will have a search under the trade names, thank you

You're welcome.:)

HAL gives it out at Front Office. They have it in the Infirmary as well.

Perhaps your cruise line/ship does the same.

I don't know your itinerary but perhaps you could buy it in your first port if you will be out of U.K.

My state requires a prescription but most states in U.S. permit it to be sold over the counter. It is odd that in my state I can buy bonine and other brand names that are mentioned OTC but not the generic meclizine...... at least that was the case the last I checked.

Thank you - it is RCI, and they did give us some freebies last time, so i'm hoping it will be the same again - was just hoping to go prepared and to give her a dose before we get on board

We buy Postafen every time we are in (or on our way to) Norway as we can't get meclizine here. Our second choice is Stugeron (which a friend brings from the UK as, you guessed it, we also can't get Cinnarizine here), which is also a derivative of piperazine. I take it for car sickness rather than sea sickness though.

Definitely talk to your pediatrician what they suggest.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks all but she's over 18 :)

Boots, Stugeron.

If that doesn't work she can always go to guest services. Stugeron is like £3 per package, worth a try.

"Cinnarizine (Stugeron) is an antihistamine (not marketed in the US), that is reported to be effective if administered at a 50mg oral dose before a rough voyage. Although cinnarizine is not licensed by the FDA in the United States, several studies report cinnarizine as the most effective antihistamine with the fewest side effects."

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2060606-medication

Edited by Piggeldy

Many thanks

See if someone on your roll call is coming from a place that it can be purchased and can buy it for you - bringing you a sealed package - and you can purchase it from them??