Remarks by Frank Del Rio

gnomie1

In the U.S., (not sure if this is true outside of the U.S.), one of the "perks" of the Amex Platinum Card is the monthly arrival of Departures magazine, a large, glossy magazine that is usually quite interesting to read. One of the blurbs in the March 2016 issue is about the new Regent suite on the Explorer and Mr. Del Rio makes some comments that not only I, but quite a few others, have found to be not only obnoxious, but offensive. Maybe he thought he was being clever, but I am so outraged at the tone of his remarks that I will probably be spending my vacation dollars elsewhere.

gnomie :)

One thing about FDR is that he is outspoken but not in a bad way. What he said about the Regent Suite on the Explorer is true. It is akin to the saying "if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it". That suite is for the wealthy ........ not all Regent customers can afford $10K/night for a suite on a cruise.

What could be taken the wrong way is the first sentence, "If you have to save up for this suite, you shouldn't be on this ship." I have had lengthy conversations with Mr. Del Rio and there is absolutely no way he meant it the way it sounds. Anyone that has met or spoken to FDR knows how down to earth be is. None of us saw or heard this interview and do not know if the sentence was taken out of context. In any case, I do not feel that it is up to us to pass judgement.

The Explorer Suite will definitely be amazing but the only way I'll ever see it is if I'm invited to a cocktail party there which is highly unlikely.

I read it. My read was totally different. I think Frank is proud of the Explorer which he believes (and is likely right) will be the most luxurious ship in the world. Quite the accomplishment. It probably is not for everyone. In my opinion Regent is the premier product in the luxury cruise market. With the introduction of Explorer and refurbishment of the existing fleet coupled with the amazing food, service, passenger to space ratio and crew to guest ratios I doubt any of the competition will come close. Frank Del Rio should be proud and has created a product which is outstanding. Does it come at a cost? Yes! Personally, I'm not so easily offended by words and can't imaging being offended, but rather interpret them as gloating in pride.

In the U.S., (not sure if this is true outside of the U.S.), one of the "perks" of the Amex Platinum Card is the monthly arrival of Departures magazine, a large, glossy magazine that is usually quite interesting to read. One of the blurbs in the March 2016 issue is about the new Regent suite on the Explorer and Mr. Del Rio makes some comments that not only I, but quite a few others, have found to be not only obnoxious, but offensive. Maybe he thought he was being clever, but I am so outraged at the tone of his remarks that I will probably be spending my vacation dollars elsewhere.

gnomie :)

He has made similar remarks in the past with the same results ... being offensive to the very people that support his livelihood. He is disliked by many based on his brash style. Seems to be his trademark. In person he may be completely different. I never met the man and have no strong desire to based on his comments. Perception goes a long way!

He has made similar remarks in the past with the same results ... being offensive to the very people that support his livelihood. He is disliked by many based on his brash style. Seems to be his trademark. In person he may be completely different. I never met the man and have no strong desire to based on his comments. Perception goes a long way!

Obviously some of us disagree with how you feel but there are bound to be differences of opinion on this subject. I do not find him offensive...... if anything, the first sentence that he is quoted on makes little sense. The article and his comments were about the Regent Suite - not the ship. IMO, he misspoke.

Must admit that FDR tells it like it is and doesn't mess around. On the other hand, he is one of the kindest individuals I've ever met. There is a wine named after him that is available on Regent....... It is from Bob Binder's winery and is called "Benevolent Dictator". He is actually the one who told me about this....... and, the name definitely fits the man (again, in a good way).

Obviously some of us disagree with how you feel but there are bound to be differences of opinion on this subject. I do not find him offensive...... if anything, the first sentence that he is quoted on makes little sense. The article and his comments were about the Regent Suite - not the ship. IMO, he misspoke.

Must admit that FDR tells it like it is and doesn't mess around. On the other hand, he is one of the kindest individuals I've ever met. There is a wine named after him that is available on Regent....... It is from Bob Binder's winery and is called "Benevolent Dictator". He is actually the one who told me about this....... and, the name definitely fits the man (again, in a good way).

I can't speak for the man personally. I don't know him and I'm not his friend. It's only his public perception I have an opinion on, and it's not good. I don't appreciate many of his comments, which often make customers out to be a nuisance with the primary objective to get more $$ out of them. Of course this is every companies goal, but most CEO's go about it with a bit more tact. I do have friends that work with him at NCLH and they really like him. No doubt in person he is very different than his public persona. Personally I think he could use an image consultant.

I can't speak for the man personally. I don't know him and I'm not his friend. It's only his public perception I have an opinion on, and it's not good. I don't appreciate many of his comments, which often make customers out to be a nuisance with the primary objective to get more $$ out of them. Of course this is every companies goal, but most CEO's go about it with a bit more tact. I do have friends that work with him at NCLH and they really like him. No doubt in person he is very different than his public persona. Personally I think he could use an image consultant.

To be honest, you sounded like a NCL customer because it is rare that anyone on the Regent or Oceania board take their CEO to task. I have not seen or read an interview with FDR where he appears to think of his customers as a nuisance. NCL customers have been hit with new fees/costs and they are very upset about it. Ultimately I believe that NCL will end up being a stronger, more profitable cruise line as the result of their current leadership (which includes their President).

I recall very vividly when PCH (Prestige Cruise Holdings) purchased Regent several years ago. I did not think very highly of FDR because he was making changes to a beloved cruise line. Still, I never heard or read of anything negative that he allegedly said about Regent or their customers. My feelings about him were simply based on changes that I did not agree with. While it is difficult to admit, he was right and Regent is much stronger now (IMO) than it was under private ownership.

The current interview only speaks to the fact that the Regent Suite on the Explorer will not be for everyone and that it is only for the wealthiest of Regent customers. Surely there is no put down there.

I truly would have liked to hear the entire interview. Why did he respond the way he did? What was the question? He certainly did not blurt this out without a reason.

I hope that you have enjoyed your Regent cruises and will continue to do so.

To be honest, you sounded like a NCL customer because it is rare that anyone on the Regent or Oceania board take their CEO to task. I have not seen or read an interview with FDR where he appears to think of his customers as a nuisance. NCL customers have been hit with new fees/costs and they are very upset about it. Ultimately I believe that NCL will end up being a stronger, more profitable cruise line as the result of their current leadership (which includes their President).

I am a customer of many cruise lines. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Oceania, Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, Disney, Silversea, Windstar, NCL, Costa, Azamara, Seabourn, and MSC to name a few. I pretty much sail them all and enjoy staying current with them. I am also well aware of Del Rio's history dating back to Renaissance Cruises. I am not a fan but this doesn't say he doesn't know how to run a cruise line (besides Renaissance). He learned from his mistakes which is good. The perception I get though is one of massive ego and not a lot of respect for his customers. You can disagree and I respect that, but my opinions are just that, mine. They are based on watching his actions for many years now, not just with NCL. Yes I cruise on NCL but I'm certainly not loyal to them. They are actually pretty low on my list, and lower now thanks to Del Rio.

Edited by eroller

We have spent that much at the Halekulani in the Vera Wang Suite...it isn't worth it and maybe that suite isn't worth it on The Explorer, but it is what it is, and some people just don't care how they spend. Maybe there was a time when we were like that. Maybe the time waxes and wanes. I think Mr. FDR is PROUD and I guess he should be proud, proud of his history, proud of what he developed, and proud that he can offer this over the top indulgence to people who don't care how they spend. Now getting down to earth for us'n's...we just have to take it like it is. It is going to be a wonderful ship and a wonderful experience and we can all thank "whomever" for the opportunity to experience in his wonderful creation. I don't claim to be an insider like some others that post on this board, and I don't get secondary gain like some of the people on this board...but like Chatkat, I don't find what he said to be obnoxious. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Since I would never remotely consider booking that suite frankly whatever he says about it doesnt affect me. What FDR said is a deal breaker for some to go on Regent? Please...

Editing to add: I could also care less about FDR's personality as I'm not at all interested in meeting him or sharing a table at dinner. When I go on a cruise I only care about quality of accommodations, good service, good food , interesting itinerary, and hopefully making nice acquaintances.

Edited by cruiseluv

Since I would never remotely consider booking that suite frankly whatever he says about it doesnt affect me. What FDR said is a deal breaker for some to go on Regent? Please...

Editing to add: I could also care less about FDR's personality as I'm not at all interested in meeting him or sharing a table at dinner. When I go on a cruise I only care about quality of accommodations, good service, good food , interesting itinerary, and hopefully making nice acquaintances.

Agreed - on my admittedly limited sailings on Regent, I've met everyone from the Captains, CDs, and high-mucky-mucks from corporate, to chefs, bartenders, butlers, cabin stewards, waiters, sommeliers, tender drivers, guides, lecturers, performers, handrail painters, etc...not to mention the other guests and people ashore. There are a few we keep in touch with, and others who welcome us back aboard when we sail. The one common thread in ALL of these encounters has been openness, friendliness, and mutual respect. When I'm on a cruise, I really don't give a rat's keister which suite you're in, what you do, how wealthy or powerful you are (or aren't), or any of that - all I care about is how we interact. If you're cool to me, I'm cool to you. It really is that simple. A smile and a few kind words goes a LONG way, in both directions.

I read the interview. I didn't find anything offensive about it. I certainly won't be sailing in that suite, and probably will never see it unless I get invited for cocktails, but it was interesting to read about. What I found most interesting is that he said it is booked pretty much solid for the current schedule. So obviously someone has money to spend. And that is a good thing overall.

I read the interview. I didn't find anything offensive about it. I certainly won't be sailing in that suite, and probably will never see it unless I get invited for cocktails, but it was interesting to read about. What I found most interesting is that he said it is booked pretty much solid for the current schedule. So obviously someone has money to spend. And that is a good thing overall.

Good to hear your "take" on the article. There is an another interview with FDR on Seatrade Cruise News today about how NCHL is doing in different parts of the world. Apparently local itineraries (U.S./Canada) are making up for the loss of passengers in the Med.

In terms of the Explorer in general, FDR was over the moon excited about it before the plans were even completed. From what I've seen online so far, he has much to be proud of.

Agreed - on my admittedly limited sailings on Regent, I've met everyone from the Captains, CDs, and high-mucky-mucks from corporate, to chefs, bartenders, butlers, cabin stewards, waiters, sommeliers, tender drivers, guides, lecturers, performers, handrail painters, etc...not to mention the other guests and people ashore. There are a few we keep in touch with, and others who welcome us back aboard when we sail. The one common thread in ALL of these encounters has been openness, friendliness, and mutual respect. When I'm on a cruise, I really don't give a rat's keister which suite you're in, what you do, how wealthy or powerful you are (or aren't), or any of that - all I care about is how we interact. If you're cool to me, I'm cool to you. It really is that simple. A smile and a few kind words goes a LONG way, in both directions.

Nice post Bill! :)

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach, South of Fifth. We are frequent passengers on Oceania and Regent and thoroughly enjoy both. Although I have never met FDR, I would like to one day, Anyone capable of picking out Oceania's art is unique. One of my favorites is the large painting outside of Baristas.

We are booked on this year's TA, Miami/Barcelona in April. Hopefully the current norovirus will have been controlled by then. That said, in reality there is no way to guarantee that the virus will not pop up again. It only takes one carrier and receptive immune systems. We expect to enjoy the cruise, as usual. As a precaution, we will bring Cipro. When we were scheduled for an Asian trip when another virus was around, our doctor suggested it. Since we didn't get sick, I don't know for sure if it works or not.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach, South of Fifth. We are frequent passengers on Oceania and Regent and thoroughly enjoy both. Although I have never met FDR, I would like to one day, Anyone capable of picking out Oceania's art is unique. One of my favorites is the large painting outside of Baristas.

We are booked on this year's TA, Miami/Barcelona in April. Hopefully the current norovirus will have been controlled by then. That said, in reality there is no way to guarantee that the virus will not pop up again. It only takes one carrier and receptive immune systems. We expect to enjoy the cruise, as usual. As a precaution, we will bring Cipro. When we were scheduled for an Asian trip when another virus was around, our doctor suggested it. Since we didn't get sick, I don't know for sure if it works or not.

Mary

Oops! I forgot to mention that we are also sailing on Mariner in November, the Caribbean Miami to Miami. It's a kind of checking out our back yard, so to speak. On both cruises from terminal J we will see our condo as we sail away. It's a good time for a glass of champagne.

Mary

Jackie, Ernie can defend himself; however, I find your post offensive.

You know that I, too, am not a fan of FDR. However, I have only way to show my dislike; take my dollars elsewhere. Alas, I like the product enough that I tolerate FDR.

Marc

warburg - hope that you enjoy both of your Regent cruises!

As you may know, Norovirus is currently on the Riviera. There are products that you can use (wipes - approved by the Center for Disease Control for the Norovirus) that could assist in preventing you from coming down with the virus. In addition to wiping down handles, remote controls and telephones on the ship, we also wipe down the arm rests and tray tables on airplanes (things that are rarely cleaned). While the high season for Norovirus is November - April, it never hurts to take extra precaution!

Marq: I assume "Ernie" is the person I correctly assumed was from NCL. He has not ever sailed on Regent and, NCL customers almost unanimously do not like FDR.

Yes - I know that you are not a fan of FDR's and I certainly won't argue with you. However, I ask that you kindly allow me to post my thoughts and responses without becoming offended. Thanks much!

P.S. Are you on the March 26, 2017 Explorer crossing?

Edited by Travelcat2

warburg - hope that you enjoy both of your Regent cruises!

As you may know, Norovirus is currently on the Riviera. There are products that you can use (wipes - approved by the Center for Disease Control for the Norovirus) that could assist in preventing you from coming down with the virus. In addition to wiping down handles, remote controls and telephones on the ship, we also wipe down the arm rests and tray tables on airplanes (things that are rarely cleaned). While the high season for Norovirus is November - April, it never hurts to take extra precaution!

Marq: I assume "Ernie" is the person I correctly assumed was from NCL. He has not ever sailed on Regent and, NCL customers almost unanimously do not like FDR.

Yes - I know that you are not a fan of FDR's and I certainly won't argue with you. However, I ask that you kindly allow me to post my thoughts and responses without becoming offended. Thanks much!

P.S. Are you on the March 26, 2017 Explorer crossing?

Ha ha, you really made me laugh out loud there....pot.....kettle.....black!!! Happy days! :)

............. Hopefully the current norovirus will have been controlled by then. That said, in reality there is no way to guarantee that the virus will not pop up again. It only takes one carrier and receptive immune systems. We expect to enjoy the cruise, as usual. As a precaution, we will bring Cipro. When we were scheduled for an Asian trip when another virus was around, our doctor suggested it. Since we didn't get sick, I don't know for sure if it works or not.

Mary

FWIW. Cipro [Ciprofloxacin] as well as allQuinolone antibiotics, are not effective against noroviruses.

It does however help with "Montezuma's Revenge." Unfortunately, if you have ever had norovirus you know the difference becasue you get a whole lot sicker.

j

FWIW. Cipro [Ciprofloxacin] as well as allQuinolone antibiotics, are not effective against noroviruses.

It does however help with "Montezuma's Revenge." Unfortunately, if you have ever had norovirus you know the difference becasue you get a whole lot sicker.

j

Agree that there is nothing one can take after they have norovirus but, according to the CDC, there are wipes that they recommend for hospital use (and are available to anyone) that do kill the virus so the key is prevention.