Fire at sea

Merlinite

There was a recent thread re: smoking and fires. Here's my story...

We are aft somewhere in the Pacific Ocean when the phone rings with an automated message advising that a fire alarm has sounded in our area and instructing us to report to our muster station. :eek:

Our station was the Vista Lounge where a magic show was taking place :rolleyes:

I grabbed the camera and entered the passageway to be greeted by smoke!!

Turns out the Darwin Award winners in the adjacent inside cabin had draped a towel over the lamp to mute the light while they went to dinner and karaoke...

The Captain showed up (this is 11 pm) and I got reprimanded for taking this photo

We always turn EVERYTHING off when we leave... :D

IMG_5412.jpg.db7a8549911ceb9e3b3493bb24964035.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg.ad59cadb81d4fa67ed748fff86f4f88e.jpg

Fire is very serious event on a ship at sea since there really is not much other place to go to get away from it if it has spread. I agree that the occupants of that stateroom should receive the Darwin award. It is serious enough that I can imagine the ship captain showing up to assess the situation and I image the occupants were duly counseled. I can also see why they were not pleased with you taking pictures since it can result in serious adverse publicity. Luckily it was taken care of before it got any worse.

Wow! I'm glad it wasn't worse! I hope the occupants of that cabin were severely reprimanded.

I'm not sure about a reprimand, but I did hear them ask for a new cabin because theirs was full of smoke. The hotel manager told them the ship was sold out but he would see to it the cabin was "refreshed".

man o man :mad:

Lets see, you are going out for the night so you need to mute the light, why?? Kind of like the real bright folks that leave their balcony light on when they go out to partake of the ship's night life. Who are they leaving the light on for? Although draping a towel over a hot light is way more stupid.

I'm not sure about a reprimand, but I did hear them ask for a new cabin because theirs was full of smoke. The hotel manager told them the ship was sold out but he would see to it the cabin was "refreshed".

Clearly they have no understanding of consequences. They probably think the ship equipment is somehow to blame. I wonder if they might seek compensation :eek:

That is some serious gall on their part. I would have told them that the natural consequence of their stupid and reckless action was to spend the rest of the cruise in a stinky cabin.

Edited by Luvmyrotti

I thought all ships on all lines had converted to CFL bulbs virtually everywhere on the ship to save money, and these don't generate the heat that incandescent bulbs do (hence the energy savings). Methinks there is "the rest of the story" which will never come out.

They should be charged at least the cost of clean-up, cleaning and refreshing soft goods, and a very hefty fine for being idiots. If there's a next port, they should be disembarked and have to pay any fines, fees, airfare, etc.

Definitely agree! Fire on a ship is very serious, and letting it go with a reprimand is not enough.

Edited by FritzG

Hi All

On the cruise I was on where a lady set fire to a waste paper bin in her cabin,

through a cigarette into it, wrapped in a tissue , she was put off at the next port

of call, would expect the same should have happened here.

yours Shogun

I thought all ships on all lines had converted to CFL bulbs virtually everywhere on the ship to save money, and these don't generate the heat that incandescent bulbs do (hence the energy savings). Methinks there is "the rest of the story" which will never come out.

Actually our bedside lamps on the Island in a brand new cabin in Nov were old bulbs.

They got very hot. I am sure its tempting to hang something/drape something over the lamps. Would not take long as mentioned here to start smoldering. :(