Fire at sea

Merlinite

Actually our bedside lamps on the Island in a brand new cabin in Nov were old bulbs.

They got very hot. I am sure its tempting to hang something/drape something over the lamps. Would not take long as mentioned here to start smoldering. :(

Wow, I know NCL changed completely to CFL bulbs back before 2004 when I started there. Payback period on the bulbs was maybe a year in fuel savings, so I'm surprised any line is still using incandescent bulbs.

I thought all ships on all lines had converted to CFL bulbs virtually everywhere on the ship to save money, and these don't generate the heat that incandescent bulbs do (hence the energy savings). Methinks there is "the rest of the story" which will never come out.

I think you may be right there.

Speaking of dumb. There was a thread about why you shouldn't use the fire extinguisher sprinkler head as a place to hang cloths. It will set off the sprinkler.

I have seen this many times and warned the cruise friends not to do it. I think some people just do not think when they get on holidays.:(

The Captain showed up (this is 11 pm) and I got reprimanded for taking this photo

We always turn EVERYTHING off when we leave... :D

Why were you reprimanded in this day and age of cameras being every where? You did good Merlinite!

Am I correct that Princess allows e-cigarettes in passenger cabins but not on the balconies or in public spaces other than where smoking is allowed? I just read this earlier today and found it a bit alarming, just the same.

Twenty five separate incidents of explosion and fire, involving an e-cigarette were reported in the U.S. media between 2009 and 2014. I believe they were caused by the battery. Still seems dangerous.

Am I correct that Princess allows e-cigarettes in passenger cabins but not on the balconies or in public spaces other than where smoking is allowed? I just read this earlier today and found it a bit alarming, just the same.

Twenty five separate incidents of explosion and fire, involving an e-cigarette were reported in the U.S. media between 2009 and 2014. I believe they were caused by the battery. Still seems dangerous.

Yes. Smoking regulations include e-cigarettes as well.

Yes. Smoking regulations include e-cigarettes as well.

With e-cigarette devices prohibited in checked luggage on flights & last night seeing a security video of a guy's pocket looking like he had a roman-candle in his pocket, I think that cruise should reconsider allowing e-cigarettes on ships.

As more cases happen hopefully the FAA will ban them anywhere on an airliner.

Edited by Astro Flyer

With e-cigarette devices prohibited in checked luggage on flights & last night seeing a security video of a guy's pocket looking like he had a roman-candle in his pocket, I think that cruise should reconsider allowing e-cigarettes on ships.

As more cases happen hopefully the FAA will ban them anywhere on an airliner.

Lithium Ion Batteries are used in many devices that we use in every day life;

i.e.: Cell Phones, Lap Tops, E-Readers, etc.

There was a big recall, on Cell Phones, several years ago due to Ion Batteries exploding.

25 incidents in 5 years is 5 per year. About 30 million people use e-cigs. That percentage of fires caused by an e-cig is less than 0.0001%! Don't think there's a major problem here.

Lithium Ion Batteries are used in many devices that we use in every day life;

i.e.: Cell Phones, Lap Tops, E-Readers, etc.

There was a big recall, on Cell Phones, several years ago due to Ion Batteries exploding.

True however based on what I've read most of the e-cigarette devices are cheaply made in China and are unregulated which I think is more dangerous than those other devices.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I thought all ships on all lines had converted to CFL bulbs virtually everywhere on the ship to save money, and these don't generate the heat that incandescent bulbs do (hence the energy savings). Methinks there is "the rest of the story" which will never come out.

nope. that's the story. Steward confirmed it and I managed to get a peek. burned towel, plenty of smoke.

for some additional context, the culprits spoke what sounded like Chinese (there where 2 groups on board, seemingly all in inside cabins.)

I don't know what, if any, consequences they suffered. We just continued on :D

They should be charged at least the cost of clean-up, cleaning and refreshing soft goods, and a very hefty fine for being idiots. If there's a next port, they should be disembarked and have to pay any fines, fees, airfare, etc.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G