Tipping in Italy

chefestelle

Hello! I'm looking for tipping advice from our Italian members. I recently saw a post from a European poster who urged me to consider the tipping customs in Europe and not presume to bring my Canadian practices over. I intended to tip according to custom but this got me working on my research. The information was quite inconsistent! What are the tipping customs for dining, cabs, porters and room attendants? Thanks very much in advance!

Hello! I'm looking for tipping advice from our Italian members. I recently saw a post from a European poster who urged me to consider the tipping customs in Europe and not presume to bring my Canadian practices over. I intended to tip according to custom but this got me working on my research. The information was quite inconsistent! What are the tipping customs for dining, cabs, porters and room attendants? Thanks very much in advance!

Similar as in your French post. Europe just does not have the tipping culture that North America does - it is only given for good service and, even then, amounts are small.

There was a very interesting post on one of the European forums recently about tipping. The OP got a reply from someone in the USA saying that a 15-20% tip was required as he had seen this on a tour operators site. Many of us replied saying this was ridiculous and it turned out that this was only to be found on a site aimed at North American visitors! Don't fall for this con.

Edited by campolady

Thank you. It seemed like the customs were similar among European countries but then I read an article that suggested otherwise. So I decided to come to all the experts here!

Here is the thread I mentioned about tipping in Europe.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2283482

Edited by campolady

Tipping can become a contentious topic sometimes. Some travelers from the US find it difficult to "shed" their ingrained tipping habits when traveling elsewhere. Some have expressed a philosophy of "what's the harm?" but I think there IS harm done in that 1) you are changing the local culture and practices, and 2) you increase expectations among those that you tip -- meaning you "up the ante" for the locals.

It is common with taxi drivers to simply round up the fare to the next euro. If they assist with luggage, another euro or two depending on how much they help and how many bags.

In restaurants, tip only a small amount and there is no obligation to tip if service was poor. Waiters make a living wage and do not depend on tips, unlike the US.

Porters I generally give 1 euro per bag.

I also leave a euro or two daily for the maid when staying in a hotel.

Tour guides -- again, a small tip to show appreciation for a good tour is fine. Certainly not 15-20%.

Italy has some of its own issues when it comes to tipping so one needs to be a little cautious and read the fine print on the bottom of menus...or even ask questions. For example, some restaurants/cafes have a "Coperta" which is a kind of cover charge. It will usually be listed somewhere on the menu (often where you will not notice it) and this charge is made for just sitting at the table. It can be a few Euros per person and if you ask why they might tell you it is for the tablecloth, fork, napkin, etc. Some restaurants/cafes also charge if you touch the bread (which is usually put on the table). And then there a few cafes around the country (especially in St Marks Square, Venice) which will also add an "entertainment" charge to anyone who sits at their table. Although this is supposed to be an additional charge for the entertainment..we know of at least one large Venice cafe that adds it even when there is no entertainment. Hence, in Venice one can actually pay around $20 for a single cup of coffee! In addition, many cafes and restaurants will also add a Service Charge (Servizio) which usually varies from 10-20%). This can be an extra local tax, a mandatory tip, some of both, or just because they can :). When we see a 10% Servizio we might leave a little extra change if the service is good. When we see a Servizio and a Coperto we leave less change :).

But I will repeat my warning...which really applies if you are going to a somewhat touristy area. Ask to see a complete menu (it will often be out front for browsing) and look carefully (especially at the bottom) for the small print that will tell you of the Coperto and or Serizio. Italian law requires that this stuff be put on the menu, but we do not think the law mandates how small the print is allowed to be :).

Hank

P.S. Even folks with lots of experience get burned. On our last visit to Rome I stopped at a tiny cafe in a side street not far from the Borghese. This was more of a local coffee bar and not touristy so I just plopped down and ordered my cappuccino. When I got the check the Cappuccino was only 2.5€ but there was a 5€ Coperta. That quick cup of java cost me about $10 (the Euro was then about $1.40).

Edited by Hlitner

Hank's post reminded me that people often ask how someone can possibly know you are not Italian if you haven't even opened your mouth. In addition to the clothing and body language cues, sitting down to drink coffee is another give away. One rarely finds an Italian sitting to drink coffee in the city ... but maybe they've been burned too and learned the lesson!

In little villages, on the other hand, you'll often see the local retirees (always, always men, I've never seen any women do this) parked at the local bar nursing a coffee and debating politics all morning long. I always have a picture in my mind when I see this of the women of the village shooing their husbands out the door in the morning, as if they were still going to work, so they can get their own stuff done without the guys underfoot.

........ the local retirees (always, always men, I've never seen any women do this) parked at the local bar nursing a coffee and debating politics all morning long. I always have a picture in my mind when I see this or the women of the village shooing their husbands out the door in the morning, as if they were still going to work, so they can get their own stuff done without the guys underfoot.

Sounds to me like a very agreeable arrangement ;)

JB :)

Glad you said that with a wink John. If you were within reach I'd be handing you a dish towel as we talked ...

We have met JB's lady friend and suspect he has already been handed the dish towel (with a smile). And am sure JB simply winked and said, "Yes dear." We men are the same all over the world when it comes to ladies......big cowards :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A gf & I were at a cafe in Venice and when presented the bill, she naively asked the waiter what did "servicio" mean. He responded it's the tax, to which I responded "bula"!:cool:

Well, I thought "bula", but said no, it's the tip.

Edited by TMLAalum

A gf & I were at a cafe in Venice and when presented the bill, she naively asked the waiter what did "servicio" mean. He responded it's the tax, to which I responded "bula"!:cool:

'Bula'?? why that response?

I think I saw this post on the Greece forum. I wish you a wonderful European adventure if you are visiting both these fabulous countries and perhaps others? We always tip in Europe though somewhat lower than at home.

If someone doesn't wish to tip fine but for those of us who wish to, it is rare for someone to refuse a tip. :)

Similar as in your French post. Europe just does not have the tipping culture that North America does - it is only given for good service and, even then, amounts are small.

There was a very interesting post on one of the European forums recently about tipping. The OP got a reply from someone in the USA saying that a 15-20% tip was required as he had seen this on a tour operators site. Many of us replied saying this was ridiculous and it turned out that this was only to be found on a site aimed at North American visitors! Don't fall for this con.

Same rubbish her in Aus.

Couldn't believe it when on our lat cruise Princess were suggesting tips in the 15-20% range.

Just rubbish.

And unfortunately some Americans (others too maybe) refuse to accept its not he norm.

They say tip to the culture but then insist on tipping left right and centre when in places it isn't he norm.

I'm sorry if I appear totally clueless, but what does 'bula' mean??