Misty Fjords or Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchikan??

blueridgemama

Trying to decide between the Deadliest Catch Excursion or Misty Fjords. Would appreciate hearing from those who have done either or both. If Misty Fjords, is it better to do a cruise/flightseeing combo or just flightseeing with Michelle of Island Wings? Thanks for your input.

Can't say that we've done both, but in 2012 we attempted the "boat out, floatplane back" excursion via Princess (cancelled midway out due to low ceilings, so free boat ride), in 2014 my wife did the round-trip via floatplane (ProMech, via Princess) with the option to step out on the float after landing in MF, and in 2015 we did the round-trip boat tour to MF (via Allen Marine). Also in 2015, we attended a talk in Princess Theater by the owner/captain of the Aleutian Ballad, the boat used for the Deadliest Catch tour, and as a result we're pretty much set on doing the DC tour next time. MF was neat to see, but DW didn't find it spectacular by plane (especially compared to Tracy Arm Fjord the next day), and the RT boat tour becomes a "group nap" after seeing MF since it's 90 minutes or so back to Ketchikan.

We've done the Deadliest Catch tour twice....the family loved it...very much recommended not only by me but by many on these boards...Google them on youtube :D

Book directly with them on their website...that way you can get there without being part of the cruiseline herd and have you pick of seats.

Edited by Ashland

:rolleyes:We did the Deadliest Catch tour two years ago - it was awesome - we saw so many whales and eagles in addition to the wonderful presentation.....definitely do this excursion and book it on your own to save the money.

eclue

:rolleyes:We did the Deadliest Catch tour two years ago - it was awesome - we saw so many whales and eagles in addition to the wonderful presentation.. ...definitely do this excursion and book it on your own to save the money.

eclue

how do you book it on your own (through what company)

how do you book it on your own (through what company)

http://www.alaskacrabtour.com

Easily book it..just have your ship name and date and time in port...follow instructions...input your credit card info and your tickets will be emailed to you to print out.

Edited by Ashland

I have done both tours and would recommend Deadliest Catch (Crab Fishing) especially if you have watched the TV series. The demos are great, the TV stories are hilarious, and the stop to feed the eagles is spectacular:

P7170107.jpg

This is why I will never take this tour. I don't approve of them feeding bald eagles for the benefit of tourists.

This is why I will never take this tour. I don't approve of them feeding bald eagles for the benefit of tourists.

And no one would want you to do anything you don't approve of....Thanks for not taking up the space on this excursion...as it's often sold out ;)

If you purchase directly from them rather than the cruise line do you get to their boat faster than the tour group from the ship? I do see where the price is $169 versus $199 from Princess. Why do the cruise lines charge so much more, especially for an excursion this where there is no transportation needed?

Thank you! Sincerely, thank you. I've gotten tired of mentioning this on this forum, but agree with you 100%. They got us once, they will never get us again.

We visited Alaska in July 2011 and did the Deadliest Catch tour. Wether you are a fan of the show or not you will love this tour. They do a really nice job of making it totally entertaining and you learn all about Alaska crab fishing at the same time. This was one of our favorite tours of the whole trip. We loved it! We have not done the Misty Fijords tour so can't speak to that but this was really cool.

If you purchase directly from them rather than the cruise line do you get to their boat faster than the tour group from the ship? I do see where the price is $169 versus $199 from Princess. Why do the cruise lines charge so much more, especially for an excursion this where there is no transportation needed?

Actually you do...yes...Not sure where you'll dock (PCL may have been docked right by this excursion) but we on (RCI) docked just a short walk down to where the Aleutian Ballad is docked. Since we had booked directly we had our own tickets and if you booked through the cruiseline you were taken as a group...we had our prime seats long before we saw those groups boarding. Book directly and make your own way there...you'll be glad you did.

I appreciate everyone's input. So much enthusiasm for the Deadliest Catch tour:) I did more research on the two tours and altho the Misty Fyords flightseeing looks like it would be a beautiful trip it also has a good chance of being cancelled due to weather. Since this is our first port I REALLY want to have a planned tour. I made reservations directly with the company last nite and already printed out my tickets. I will take your tips and go directly to the boat and secure one of those prime seats! Thanks everyone:)

Or you can book the other excursion that is a crabbing along the coast, that includes all you can eat crab.

By the way, whether they "bait" the eagles or not, they are not such great hunters, and will eat garbage and road kill. So much for our country's bird.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:We did the Deadliest Catch tour two years ago - it was awesome - we saw so many whales and eagles in addition to the wonderful presentation.....definitely do this excursion and book it on your own to save the money.

eclue

What were the dates you did this tour? We will be there mid-August.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

This was the highlight of our trip. The wife loved it. The picture of her holding this big crap is priceless.

To those that worry about a few fish tossed to the eagles, check out the local garbage dumps in Juneau and Ketchikan. There are 100's of eagle eating at the dump.

framer

This was the highlight of our trip. The wife loved it. The picture of her holding this big crap is priceless.

To those that worry about a few fish tossed to the eagles, check out the local garbage dumps in Juneau and Ketchikan. There are 100's of eagle eating at the dump.

framer

Do they make you take a picture with the big Crap? I don't think I want to. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Do they make you take a picture with the big Crap? I don't think I want to. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

They don't make you but they encourage you as part of the experience. It is not a king crab but a smaller "snow crab"? I was not paying close attention to all the fine details.

Picture of my wife holding it. She made me hold it so she could get a picture of me also.

EEEEEK!!!

crab.jpg

framer

We are booking with the company so we will be able to get there before the herds. Where is the best place to sit on the boat? DH really would enjoy seeing the eagles. TIA

You can move around and you do. We started up stairs but you are free to wonder around the ship, lots of space.

We did book with the cruise line for a few $$$ more than booking direct for two reasons. If for any reason the ship misses the port, unlikely there, a refund is easy. The main reason was we had a lot of non refundable OBC to use:D. If it was real cash from my pocket I'd have bought direct and saved the money.

framer

Hey guys, will be in Ketchikan on June 23, on the Nieuw Amsterdam from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Was wondering if one took the deadliest catch, would there still be time to take the walking tour & etc around creek st? Still haven't decided on what to to. Get lots of info from you guys. Thanks.

Virginia

http://www.alaskacrabtour.com

Easily book it..just have your ship name and date and time in port...follow instructions...input your credit card info and your tickets will be emailed to you to print out.

I booked through Viator and the web site was so hard to use I finally had to call (and I do almost everything online with no problem). I had forgotten to look back at this thread until it "popped" up this morning. I went to the alaska crab tour website and it is much more "user-friendly" especially if you are coming by cruise ship. Wish I had remembered to use that site.