Questions for RC Alaska

renech

We and another couple are looking at booking our first Alaska cruise in 2017.

Being regular RC cruisers of course makes me lean towards booking with RC again. I have been reading the Alaska board for information, but have a few questions about RC specific cruises.

We are unfortunately limited in the time we have for this trip so a 7 day seems most feasible. The 9 day does sound wonderful with the added on land tours.

Some questions:

-Generally, we prefer the big ships but there seem to be more options on the Radiance as opposed to the Explorer. Is there any downside to the Explorer other than itinerary choices?

-It's a little disheartening to read comments on the Alaska board that are not very favorable regarding taking an RC cruise to Alaska over some of the other cruise lines. I hate to give up my C&A discount and perks, but is it worth it?

-I have read that Glacier Bay is a must-see, but apparently that's not an option on RC. I'm hoping that Hubbard is just as impressive of a natural wonder to see, especially for first-timers like us. Or is there that much of a difference?

-With so many options, I'd love some personal recommendations for a good first-time cruise itinerary. Northbound or Southbound seem to be the most popular for extra ports over sea days, but is there a preference when there are no added on land tours?

Any extra tips would be greatly appreciated! And yes, I'm sure I'll be researching this obsessively for a while! :D

We've done Glacier Bay (Via Princess) and also Tracy Arm Fjord.

We loved Glacier Bay, and we bought Future Cruise Certificates on our last Princess cruise with Glacier Bay in mind. You should have a good chance to see a glacier on the Glacier Bay cruise.

We also go round trip out of Seattle and (San Franscisco). No international plane flight. If you go from Seattle, you may not cruise past a glacier. The Tracy Arm Fjord gives you some beautiful scenery that I've heard is comparable to the Norwegian Fjords (Seen both). But no glacier. Once the Captain got special permission to go up Endicott Arm instead and we got to see Dawes Glacier.

Be sure you visit includes Skagway (for the White Pass RR), Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier), and Victoria (Butchard Gardens). IF you have an evening sail out of Juneau, be sure to get one one of the sunset whale dinner cruises. We did this on Princess and loved it. Gold Creek Canyon Bake is a kick. Ketchikan is wonderful, and we really enjoyed the Misty Fjords cruise!

No need to get Icy Strait point. It's a tender port, and unless they decide to dock the ship there we probably will stay on the ship.

Check the ship page at Royal Caribbean. I think Explorer is a Voyager class and larger than the Radiance (if I'm correct).

If you do a north or south cruise, you'll be looking at a long flight. Personally, if we do the one way cruise again, we're booking a B2B, so we don't have that horribly long flight.

Big Explorer downside vs Radiance class: No covered Solarium. I suspect the Royal Promenade will be jammed more than usual.

We'd probably avoid booking during summer months when there would be more families. Not that I don't like kids :), but now that mine are grown, I enjoy not having to sail during those peak travel times. Maybe that would keep the Promenade crowd down?

We've done Glacier Bay (Via Princess) and also Tracy Arm Fjord.

We loved Glacier Bay, and we bought Future Cruise Certificates on our last Princess cruise with Glacier Bay in mind. You should have a good chance to see a glacier on the Glacier Bay cruise.

We also go round trip out of Seattle and (San Franscisco). No international plane flight. If you go from Seattle, you may not cruise past a glacier. The Tracy Arm Fjord gives you some beautiful scenery that I've heard is comparable to the Norwegian Fjords (Seen both). But no glacier. Once the Captain got special permission to go up Endicott Arm instead and we got to see Dawes Glacier.

Be sure you visit includes Skagway (for the White Pass RR), Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier), and Victoria (Butchard Gardens). IF you have an evening sail out of Juneau, be sure to get one one of the sunset whale dinner cruises. We did this on Princess and loved it. Gold Creek Canyon Bake is a kick. Ketchikan is wonderful, and we really enjoyed the Misty Fjords cruise!

No need to get Icy Strait point. It's a tender port, and unless they decide to dock the ship there we probably will stay on the ship.

Check the ship page at Royal Caribbean. I think Explorer is a Voyager class and larger than the Radiance (if I'm correct).

If you do a north or south cruise, you'll be looking at a long flight. Personally, if we do the one way cruise again, we're booking a B2B, so we don't have that horribly long flight.

Thanks for the input. We've sailed both classes of ships and yes Explorer is larger than Radiance. Both classes do have their loyal fans, and I prefer the larger, but can go either way.

A B2B sounds wonderful! I'll put that on my retirement cruises to do list. ;)

I'm one of the ones who would have said Glacier Bay was a must see, but we'll doing Alaska on RCCL in 2017 mostly on account of price differences and the fact that we'll be seeing Hubbard Glacier.

we are getting basically the same product as Princess (minus Glacier Bay but plus Icy Straight Point) for $1000CDN per person on balcony cabins. We simply couldn't justify the difference

We did Alaska, last May, on the Celebrity Solstice. Beautiful ship. Rt from Seattle, including Tracy Arm. You might check Celebrity as they have some semi All Inclusive deals, including drink packages.

In late May we had no rain, sun was shining everyday with highs in the mid 70's. Hardly any kids, as school wasn't out yet. The disadvantages to May are you don't see a lot of wildlife.

Here is a picture I took off our balcony, in Tracy Arm, while eating room service breakfast.

P1010524.jpg.34e1c4dea462e39a5a54b6b072e45609.jpg

Edited by Texasopa

Thank you for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I think we are now leaning towards the Radiance southbound itinerary. I'd like to squeeze in a few days before to see Denali too, but not sure if that's best done on our own or with RC as a cruisetour.

We did Alaska on HCCL (first time on HCCL) last May leaving Seattle the first week of May. May is typically the dry season for Alaska so we were told by the locals. We did not have any rain on the 7 day cruise .

This was our first cruise to Alaska, we were the first cruise of the season and it was Fabulous. We are like you, empty nesters and we enjoyed cruising with less children on board. We did see Glacier Bay and it was amazing. We wanted the to see it just in case we never get to go back. I would say that that cruise was probably my most favorite cruise. We have always done Caribbean and Alaska was so unique. The ships have to be smaller in size the cruise to Alaska. We flew in a day early and did some sightseeing in Seattle. It is a beautiful city. The cruise was wonderful!

We did Alaska, last May, on the Celebrity Solstice. Beautiful ship. Rt from Seattle, including Tracy Arm. You might check Celebrity as they have some semi All Inclusive deals, including drink packages.

In late May we had no rain, sun was shining everyday with highs in the mid 70's. Hardly any kids, as school wasn't out yet. The disadvantages to May are you don't see a lot of wildlife.

Here is a picture I took off our balcony, in Tracy Arm, while eating room service breakfast.

Thank you for that picture. GORGEOUS. I truly can't wait.

Glad to hear that May worked out well for you. I will definitely look at Celebrity too since at least I can still get some perks with them.

We've loved the northbound on Radiance in mid to late May (our favorite month to cruise Alaska)...the sail out from Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge is amazing (what a way to start a cruise) the north bound we always feel like we're sailing to Alaska not away from it and that scenery just keeps getting better. We've also had some amazing very up close views of Hubbard..thanks to some wonderful captains...and have never missed it due to weather.

Really something you should consider.

Edited by Ashland

We (myself, wife and 3 kids) are doing the Explorer on May 20th this year from Seattle. We have some time constraints this summer, and for our available timeframe, this worked the best. We looked at HA, Norwegian, and Princess and since there are 5 of us, we typically get connecting rooms, and Explorer has those new Panoramic Family Oceanviews on deck 12 that fit for us PERFECTLY! It also saved us a substantial amount of $$$. If it was just my wife and I, I'd do a northbound/southbound and gone all out but this should make for a nice trip! The R/T from Seattle is better with kids too....

We did Alaska on HCCL (first time on HCCL) last May leaving Seattle the first week of May. May is typically the dry season for Alaska so we were told by the locals. We did not have any rain on the 7 day cruise .

This was our first cruise to Alaska, we were the first cruise of the season and it was Fabulous. We are like you, empty nesters and we enjoyed cruising with less children on board. We did see Glacier Bay and it was amazing. We wanted the to see it just in case we never get to go back. I would say that that cruise was probably my most favorite cruise. We have always done Caribbean and Alaska was so unique. The ships have to be smaller in size the cruise to Alaska. We flew in a day early and did some sightseeing in Seattle. It is a beautiful city. The cruise was wonderful!

I need to correct myself... HAL was the cruise line we sailed. Had a brain burp there...(embarrassing). I do love RCCL so I guess that is what I was thinking..

Hubbard Glacier was awe-inspiring. 6 miles wide and higher above the waterline than Niagara Falls (another 250 feet of ice below the waterline). One of the few glaciers that is still advancing. In fact it has twice advanced to the point of land across the bay that allowed it to cut off the water flowing out of fjord, creating an enormous lake that eventually rose high enough to exert enough pressure and break through. The brilliant color is not photo-enhanced. It really is incredibly blue and beautiful beyond belief.

20150716_155627_zpsh7ndub8h.jpg

Did we fail to fully see the best of Alaska because we didn't visit Glacier Bay? Hardly. Inside of 11 days we hiked at Mendenhall, piloted zodiac boats to see eagles in Ketchikan, took in the lumberjack show, did the bus tour up to White Pass and the train down, went white water rafting, landed on a glacier right after a fresh snowfall on the slopes of Mt. McKinley, rode the domed Wilderness Express from Denali back to Anchorage ... train, bus, boat, and plane. We got around. Learned an enormous amount about that beautiful wilderness and drank in the beauty at every possible moment. Alaska is like no other cruise. Pick what you feel is best for you ... not sure the Voyager class ship is such a great idea though. This isn't like a Caribbean cruise where you can be out to sea, with little to see but water. Most of the cruise takes place in the inside passage and the scenery is constant ... and constantly changing. I used my balcony more on this cruise than on any other. It was mezmerizing.

At the top of the Alaska board there's a post that gives links to reviews for 2015 from all different cruisers on all different cruiselines. Mine is there ... North to Alaska. Do a bit of research and then you'll know what sounds like it fits your needs for the perfect Alaska experience.

Edited by emeraldcity

One other side note ... if you opt for a land portion either before or after, take note of the fact that the Seward Highway (from Anchorage to Seward) is considered one of the most scenic highways in the country. I personally feel cheated when I'm driving and everyone else is going "Wow! look at that" ... but I can't look, because I'm driving. That's why I booked the cruisetour. I bet I shot 100 photos on that stretch of road.

And the distances will blow you away. I saw the tiny little piece of Alaska we would be traveling though ... and then we'd board the bus and I'd figure it would be maybe 2 hours ... nope! They'd announce that it would be four hours before we reached our destination.

DH and I want to take an Alaskan cruise during the 2017 RCCL Alaskan cruise season. Deciding on the cruise is fairly easy but we're not yet sure which cruietour we want, if any.

My question is this, can we book a cruise now and add a cruisetour later without messing up our original booking? My fear is that by adding a cruisetour later we will have to cancel our original booking and start over.

TIA! :D

Di

I had a lot of the same questions you did and I had heard Glacier Bay is a must see. I would choose Radiance over Explorer based on the ports. I think both are great ships, but I wanted more ports.

I really waivered back and forth on Princess and Norwegian because they went to Glacier Bay. But in the end, it came down to money. For the time and cabin, we wanted, I couldn't justify paying what Princess and Norwegian wanted. I decided to wait until the RC Alaska booking came out and when I saw it was about a $1000 cheaper to go with RC (with my C and A perk), we chose to go with RC.

We went to Alaska several years ago and it was a vacation of a life time. It didn't include Glacier Bay and yet we had a fabulous time. Maybe Glacier Bay will be in my much later future :)

Definitely Radiance over Explorer.

We did the Southbound on Radiance to Vancouver in late May/early June three years ago. Fantastic voyage. Train from Anchorage to Seward was incredible and quite scenic. Hubbard Glacier did not disappoint nor did Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. For me, personally, the overall RCL glacier experience was satisfying to the point where I don't feel the need to see Glacier Bay.

We also had strange sunny, 80-degree weather throughout the voyage. Visiting Skagway in shorts was a bit of a surreal experience. Be sure to pack for all types of weather as it is unpredictable.

One small regret though. Wished we flew in a couple days earlier to see Denali. Our schedules didn't permit it but in hindsight, it's something we should have done. We'll be back someday and it'll be on RCL or Celebrity primarily due to the loyalty perks.

Haven't been on the Explorer, just the Jewel (Radiance class) but have a hold on the 9 day northbound cruise on the Radiance in May/17. Radiance class is beautiful because there is glass everywhere you look, with views out onto the ocean. Even if the weather isn't so great, you will still easily find a place to sit down and watch the amazing scenery. I have been to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. I might give Glacier Bay the edge, but if this is your first trip Hubbard is also pretty spectacular. The Radiance also sails out of Vancouver which means you have scenery right from the get-go, including the Inside Passage.

We've loved the northbound on Radiance in mid to late May (our favorite month to cruise Alaska)...the sail out from Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge is amazing (what a way to start a cruise) the north bound we always feel like we're sailing to Alaska not away from it and that scenery just keeps getting better. We've also had some amazing very up close views of Hubbard..thanks to some wonderful captains...and have never missed it due to weather.

Really something you should consider.

Thanks for posting this! So often people recommend doing the southbound in order to do tours first. Because of our schedule, we had to book northbound for 2017. I like your idea to look at it as sailing to Alaska instead of away from it.

DH and I want to take an Alaskan cruise during the 2017 RCCL Alaskan cruise season. Deciding on the cruise is fairly easy but we're not yet sure which cruietour we want, if any.

My question is this, can we book a cruise now and add a cruisetour later without messing up our original booking? My fear is that by adding a cruisetour later we will have to cancel our original booking and start over.

TIA! :D

Di

No, you cannot just add a cruisetour later. If there is room on the cruisetour, you will get your reservation repriced to the current rate, so if you can pick a cruisetour now, you would probably be better off. If you cant decide you could make two reservations, one for the cruise and one for the cruisetour and decide before final payment.