Luggage Tags New Cruisers Beware

I understood what you meant , and I didn't take your message as "an outburst of outrage" either as one reply suggested. I agree -luggage tags should be included in your cruise cost - ridiculous to charge us extra for something that is required to cruise. And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact? I guess I have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders...yet another expense on something required to sail, that should be included in the amount I paid for the cruise.

I probably wasnt very clear. As I stated, we know we can print them off or get ones at the dock. And as you can see by my signature, we havent sailed with Royal lately have been sailing with Celebrity, her sister line. My point was that $35 for luggage tags is crazy under any circumstance.

I understood what you meant , and I didn't take your message as "an display of outrage" either as one reply suggested. I agree -luggage tags should be included in your cruise cost - ridiculous to charge us extra for something that is required to cruise. And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact? I guess I have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders...yet another expense on something required to sail, that should be included in the amount I paid for the cruise.

My DH and I are scheduled for Grandeur of the Seas on March 20. We are Diamond members on Royal and the equivalent on Celebrity. We had not received our luggage tags yet so I called Crown and Anchor today. Was told it now costs $35.00 for luggage tags. We knew we could print them off or get ones at the dock. You can also buy cheap clear plastic tag holders on line. On our last Celebrity cruise, we got the nice tags in the mail so we were not aware this new cost! I asked to speak to the supervisor who gave me the same price. I was just shocked. New cruisers, dont spend the money. Not worth it!

Royal, shame on you as this is indicative of more penny pinching like the huge increase on alcoholic beverages on board with added 18% gratuity.

As others have posted, they stopped awhile back.

We print them out now and as with so many companies, there is constant change to try and at the same time provide the best experience possible and save on costs.

As a former business owner we reviewed our product/service offerings each year and made changes based on what was important and what was used by our customers. It was never 100% usage nor 0% usage thus we tried to be sensitive to those few, at times, when we discontinued a product/service. Royal could do a better job, but DON'T let it ruin your cruise!

Everything is going electronic, so you can see what is going to happen in that arena. Also, if you deal with brick & mortar businesses, they too are under price/cost pressures and will be doing a lot of cost cutting plus getting a better online presence if they can.

I understood what you meant , and I didn't take your message as "an outburst of outrage" either as one reply suggested. I agree -luggage tags should be included in your cruise cost - ridiculous to charge us extra for something that is required to cruise. And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact? I guess I have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders...yet another expense on something required to sail, that should be included in the amount I paid for the cruise.

People are making this waaaaaaaaaaaaay to complicated, and its not the big issue a few would make it either.

Yes, RCI (and other cruise lines) charge you extra if you want to get luggage tags mailed to you. Based on the volumes required, this is an expense to the cruise lines that seems avoidable.

When anyone prints their cruise docs...they have a luggage tag available for printing. There are also free programs on the Internet that will essential "strip off" the luggage tag information and produce a color tag set (up to 4) for printing. Some of these can be personalized with the passenger name.

You can find several such utilities by a Google search of "PDF luggage tags royal caribbean".

I just cover the ones I printed out with wide clear plastic shipping tape. Works just fine.

I can not believe this is still being debated/discussed.

There are 4 very easy solutions.

• Order the plastic sleeves
  • Use the Packing Tape method
  • Buy contact printer paper
  • Ask the porter for tags

Hope I don't get battered around for asking the following question. 😀 we have cruised NCL twice, printed out our luggage tags at home stapled them to our bags done deal. Luggage got to our cabin, no doing it at port.

Are these the luggage tags you are speaking of? Some are talking about plastic holders? We have identification tags on our luggage that never comes off.

Son is in GS, we in balcony cabins. He gets his mailed to him and we print ours out. Yes? Don't have to have then in any thing special do we?

Thanks

I understood what you meant , and I didn't take your message as "an display of outrage" either as one reply suggested. I agree -luggage tags should be included in your cruise cost - ridiculous to charge us extra for something that is required to cruise. And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact? I guess I have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders...yet another expense on something required to sail, that should be included in the amount I paid for the cruise.

Luggagae tags are provided to you by the porters free of Charge!

If you Chose to print your luggage tags there is no Need to buy the clear plastic holders. The printed tags are supposed to put around the handle of your luggage and then to be stapled to stay in place.

I can tell you it works and they are even more sturdy than the ones provided By the porters. Instead of the staples you can also use clear packing tape to secure them. Really easy and no extra cost involved.

So your Statement is wrong! uggage tags are included in your cruise fare.

Hope I don't get battered around for asking the following question. 😀 we have cruised NCL twice, printed out our luggage tags at home stapled them to our bags done deal. Luggage got to our cabin, no doing it at port.

Are these the luggage tags you are speaking of? Some are talking about plastic holders? We have identificartion tags on our luggage that never comes off.

Son is in GS, we in balcony cabins. He gets his mailed to him and we print ours out. Yes? Don't have to have then in any thing special do we?

Thanks

Correct. Print out and staple to luggage. Directions are included with tag. Plastic holders are just convient and can be reused. Good value for money if you cruise often , not necessary.

Yes your son should receive his tags in mail, you print your and use what ever method you want to attach them to your bags.

Hope I don't get battered around for asking the following question. we have cruised NCL twice, printed out our luggage tags at home stapled them to our bags done deal. Luggage got to our cabin, no doing it at port.

Are these the luggage tags you are speaking of? Some are talking about plastic holders? We have identification tags on our luggage that never comes off.

Thanks

Don´t worry, yes you can just rpint them and staple them to your bags. Some People on here just create some drame when there really isn´t any Drama.

You can use those plastic holders, but there is no Need to.

I got them myself, as they work very well for different cruiselines and I can use them over and over again. But as said you don´t have to if you don´t want to.

We have cruised on the Breakaway the last two years and have printed out the paper luggage tags at home, stapled them to the handle and they have never ripped off. Works perfectly fine. Our luggage has always made it to our room and our son travels with 7 pieces of luggage(they have two children)

And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact?

By following the directions -- it isn't rocket science, for crying out loud!!! Why are you knocking something you've never even tried yet??? :rolleyes:

Each luggage tag is a single piece of paper, folded multiple times lengthwise so it is quintupled in thickness. Trust me, it's not going to tear off -- you have to actually rip the staples through in order to remove it.

I guess I have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders...yet another expense on something required to sail, that should be included in the amount I paid for the cruise.

No, you do NOT have to "purchase" the clear plastic holders. The print-and-staple method works just fine. If you want luggage tags included in the price you paid for the cruise, then pay the extra $35 to have documents mailed to you. I personally would rather invest a few cents in paper/ink/staples and use the other $34.95 for things I actually want to spend my money on.

Hope I don't get battered around for asking the following question. we have cruised NCL twice, printed out our luggage tags at home stapled them to our bags done deal. Luggage got to our cabin, no doing it at port.

Thanks

Yes, the print-fold-staple/tape tags are what Royal uses. You do NOT need to purchase plastic holders unless you want a non-staple/tape method. I never have used the holders, and my luggage always made it just fine.

Your son's tags CAN be mailed to him, if he lives in North America, if he requests them to be mailed. My understanding is they only send luggage tags to suite guests when requested, not automatically. And he also has the option to print and attach himself at home, just like you do.

Edited by brillohead

... And...how do I attach a printed paper tag around my luggage and expect it to stay in tact?...

Follow the very simple instruction RCCL provides you when you print the luggage tags. I would recommend you do not put the luggage tags on your luggage if you are flying. Do that at your hotel the morning prior to leaving the hotel to go to the ship. If your not doing a precruise hotel then put the luggage tags on when you collect your luggage at the airport. We always carry a roll of scotch tape in our luggage and use that to hold the folded tags together. I agree with brillohead no real need for the plastic luggage tag holders (personal choice). We have never had self printed tape together luggage tags come off from our luggage either.

Edited by davekathy

First of all, I REALLY like the old fashioned, color, adhesive back luggage tags like the ones Celebrity still sends me (and I got the ones for my Silhouette cruise a couple of weeks from now just last week)...

I DON'T like the idea of folding them up and stapling and/or taping everything together...1) I don't trust that they won't easily rip off...and...2) Since I'm usually travelling by airplane, then staying in a pre-cruise hotel...or more... first, I don't put them on until I'm ready to go to the ship--and heck if I'm traveling packing rolls of tape and a stapler!

So, yes, way back when Princess first stopped sending the printed ones, I bought some of those plastic holders...and they work just fine, look nice and don't fall off...

And, yes, I can see that the cruise lines save money on printing and mailing...

HOWEVER, it is REALLY HARD to understand, then, why they won't send those when virtually EVERY cruise line is sending me mailing after mailing of glossy brochures in the mail virtually every day...What Oceania sends me in Glossy brochures each month could pay for all of my luggage tags for the rest of my life...Same with Princess...Even Cunard sends me more advertisements in the mail than can be believed--and I've never even taken one of their cruises!

I'll be willing to make a deal with every cruise line: I take, maybe, four cruises a year...You guys please send me a set of luggage tags for each...and I will save you the printing and postage money by foregoing enough advertisements and brochures to account for at least $140 of printing and mailing costs per year (I guarantee that the total cost of the junk mail far exceeds that amount!)

Be careful with the wire and grommet tag holders. We had one come through that was a little frayed and didn't notice until I got stuck. Pretty good bleed for a little hole. The others were all fine.

I DON'T like the idea of folding them up and stapling and/or taping everything together...1) I don't trust that they won't easily rip off...and...2)...--and heck if I'm traveling packing rolls of tape and a stapler!...

Understood Steve, but we simply tape them with clear packing tape before we leave home, and either throw a mini stapler from the dollar store into the suitcase, or borrow one from the front desk. Once taped, they are very strong - you have to cut them off! As far as we are concerned, yes, luggage tags like the old days would be good, but it's not really a big deal to take a few moments and do it the "new way". ;):D