Pier at Cozumel

Nottoold

Does anyone know just how long the pier is to get out to the taxis. We want to go to Nachi Comcom (?) but 2 of us can't walk long distances. Does anyone know if they have any kind of shuttle or cart? Don't want to book an excursion that we can't get to!![emoji3] Thanks, Anne

The International pier were RCI docks is quite long to walk as shown in the shots below and there is an equally long walk through the market area before one gets to the parking lot, indicated by star on google earth shot, where the taxis and buses are so definitely get a wheelchair or some other personal transportation. I seem to recall there were golf type carts for the pier portion. You would think I would remember as we cruised into there four times last year as we did four western Caribbean cruises and almost all of these do go there but we also went into a lot of other ports on six cruises last year alone. Most piers do have some form of transport for those with mobility problems.

We're there on March 15th while on our next cruise and I will check out options for those with mobility issues. Will have internet for the three sea days immediately following back to Bayonne so will try to post then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=378216&d=1456564235

attachment.php?attachmentid=378217&d=1456564235

attachment.php?attachmentid=378218&d=1456564235

P1300915.jpg.8be9492c531845bc72db014dd34c661d.jpg

P1300922.jpg.95b9a36fa61993b814d27c98eeaf904f.jpg

CozumelIntPier.jpg.9bad1e745feed2af917ace3b06d8148a.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Using the measuring tool on Google Maps, from where I estimated the gangway would be to the end of the pier is 800'-900'. Then getting through the shops area to the taxis is about 500' (as the crow flies).

Add that up and you get about 1300'-1400' or roughly a 1/4 of a mile+ from the gangway through the shops to the taxis.

Does anyone know just how long the pier is to get out to the taxis. We want to go to Nachi Comcom (?) but 2 of us can't walk long distances. Does anyone know if they have any kind of shuttle or cart? Don't want to book an excursion that we can't get to!![emoji3] Thanks, Anne

It's a long walk, I would say 10 minutes for us, and we are fast walkers. Then you have to walk though an area with shops in close quarters, before you get to the taxis.

You might try sending an email to [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and see if they have any suggestions.

It's a long walk, I would say 10 minutes for us, and we are fast walkers. Then you have to walk though an area with shops in close quarters, before you get to the taxis.

You might try sending an email to [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and see if they have any suggestions.

I can confirm that it's a long 10 minute walk. The market area can also be difficult to navigate. There is construction and quite a bit of passenger congestion. Also if you are looking for ramps as opposed to stairs those aren't easy to find.

At Royal's pier, there are bicycle "cabs" and wheelchair pushers who will take you from the ship to the the shopping area but no further. Then it is still a long walk through the shops to the street. For anyone who has difficulty walking, this is really far. Would having their own wheelchairs be of benefit? Scooters would work really well, but then you have a difficulty as to how to transport the scooters on the excursion. Good luck.

Tour groups stay to the right when exiting International Pier and end up in the parking lot without going through the shop area. I don't know if you can access taxis that way, and I suspect if you are not on a tour they may "discourage" you going that way.
There are two different piers there...

Cozumel has three cruise pier areas:

TMM International used primarily by Royal Caribbean Corporation

Puerta Maya used by Carnival Corporation (just south of International Pier)

Punta Langosta used by NCL & Disney (downtown)

MSC seems to use International. On particularly busy days ships may have to tender or may end up at someone else's pier, but that's pretty rare.

There is a wheel chair ramp to go up into the last section of the marketplace and another one down to get to the taxis once you finally weave your way through the market place to get to them Obviously they were thinking $$ when they make you go all through the market place hoping to snag you on the way. ;)

One thing I can't remember, is the accessibility at Nachi Cocum. I know there are short stairs down to the beach and rough stones on the walk way towards the pool/beach. Not sure if they have beach style wheel chairs available. There is a nice flat covered area with tables/chairs before you get to the pool area and beach however. You may want to email Nachi Cocum in advance for ADA features.

Edited by island lady

Tour groups stay to the right when exiting International Pier and end up in the parking lot without going through the shop area. I don't know if you can access taxis that way, and I suspect if you are not on a tour they may "discourage" you going that way.Cozumel has three cruise pier areas:

TMM International used primarily by Royal Caribbean Corporation

Puerta Maya used by Carnival Corporation (just south of International Pier)

Punta Langosta used by NCL & Disney (downtown)

MSC seems to use International. On particularly busy days ships may have to tender or may end up at someone else's pier, but that's pretty rare.

They turned us back when we tried that some years ago, not sure if that is still the case now.

Safety reasons due to the shuttles and buses using that exit/entrance.

Mexico does have an "ADA-like" law but it isn't effectively enforced. Buildings and facilities continue to be in noncompliance throughout Mexico.

On a recent visit to Cozumel and Nachi Cocom, RCL, upon request, provided a travel companion with wheelchair assistance from the ship to the taxi stand area at the end of the maze of shops. She was grateful as it was a sizable distance. There are ramps but some have steeper than normal angles.

Nachi Cocom is relatively "flat". A few stairs here and there, i.e. from the restaurant area to the beach. Companion did fine as she is able to handle short walking distances.

Contact special_needs@rccl.com with your wheelchair assistance request. Follow up with RCL Guest Services after embarkation.

And contact reservations@cozumelnachicocom.com for specific information regarding accessibility at Nachi Cocom.

Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone. You've all been so helpful. I'll send an email to special needs right away. I, honestly, can"t imagine we are the only two people that need assistance. I already have wheelchair assistance set up for on and off the ship. Thank goodness for that as we'd never make it without help. We'll both be fine once we are on the ship - we just have difficulty with walking long distances. We'll be find at Nachi Concom too. Thanks again, Anne

I have problems walking long distances. I was also in Cozumel last month.

I manage by walking slowly and plenty of rests. I usually allow four times what it would take others.

I agree that the pier is long. I believe wheelchair transport is available although I didn't use it. When you get to the end of the pier it is a little crowded and the exit to the pier can be a little confusing as there is a market area with lots of shops.

For the taxi there tends to be a long queue. When we were there, possibly at least 10 mins wait.

We took a town to the taxi. Nice enough place to wander around and I found plenty of places to sit and rest.

Thanks yuvraj, I wrote to special needs yesterday, so I 'll wait and see what they say. If I don't have any luck them I'll do exactly as did. Are there any benches or anything to sit on, which would help. I'll pass on what they say - that is, if I hear back from them., Anne

Three trips to Cozumel. Long walk off pier and long walk to taxis and tours. There were wheelchairs available, just tell RCI person at gangway you need one. Tip $1 or two to person who wheels you to tour starting point which in on the pier for RCI tours. Tell tour leader you need a wheelchair and he will get a local to come through the gate to wheel you to tour bus so you get on first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app