Passport Expires while On Cruise.

LadyBeBop

Quit trying to pull sticks out with what will work in your favor. Can bet you will come up short. Just renew them now and do not think about it again. There is a time coming that any travel outside of this country requires passports. Birth certificates will mean nothing.

Not quite true. St. Maarten, according to the US State Department, now requires a passport or passport card (not a birth certificate) even on close looped cruises. I have no idea whether that is being enforced (haven't been there since December 2013).

According to the extended info on the US State Dept website http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...n/country.html, (my highlights)

All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport for all air travel, including to and from Sint Maarten.
All sea travelers must also now have a passport or passport card.
We strongly encourage all U.S. citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport or passport card well in advance of anticipated travel. U.S. citizens can call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

This is very different from the extended info for other Caribbean Islands that includes a discussion of requirements when on a closed loop cruise:

NOTE:
Be aware that Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. As such, we strongly recommend that you always travel abroad with your valid passport.

Martinique has the closed loop note while St. Maarten does not.

But does St Maarten require 6 months validity on the passport? That was what I was specifically referencing.

I really don't get the big deal with passports in the U.S. :confused:

In Sweden they are only valid for five years, not ten like in the U.S.

A lot of countries require 6 months validity on the passport after the date we leave the country.

I got a new passport 2015-12-14 since my old would expire two weeks before the 6 months after we left the U.S. That meant that I needed a new ESTA for the new passport. I will get married 22 July this year, this means that I will need a new passport & ESTA again. I will also need a new driverslicens, I got my current on 2015-01-14 and they are valid for ten years.

But I don't understand the big deal, it will take me one - two weeks and then I will have them.

But does St Maarten require 6 months validity on the passport? That was what I was specifically referencing.

According to the web site it must be valid upon entry. Of course if you end up flying back to the States it needs to be valid on entry too.

Edited by capriccio

I really don't get the big deal with passports in the U.S. :confused:

In Sweden they are only valid for five years, not ten like in the U.S.

A lot of countries require 6 months validity on the passport after the date we leave the country.

I got a new passport 2015-12-14 since my old would expire two weeks before the 6 months after we left the U.S. That meant that I needed a new ESTA for the new passport. I will get married 22 July this year, this means that I will need a new passport & ESTA again. I will also need a new driverslicens, I got my current on 2015-01-14 and they are valid for ten years.

But I don't understand the big deal, it will take me one - two weeks and then I will have them.

Many of us in U.S. don't get what the big deal is either. I cannot fathom why anyone wants to leave their home country and resist having a valid passport. It is the best form of ID and recognized by all nations. Why stress and fret so much when the whole world carries passports?

JMO......

According to the web site it must be valid upon entry. Of course if you end up flying back to the States it needs to be valid on entry too.

So the statement that I made about the 6 month requirement in the Caribbean is still valid.

We travel frequently and sometimes at the last minute. Often for 8-12 weeks.

Enjoying good health does not in any way mean that you will not be struck by any untoward medical condition while travelling. Or be an accident victim. DW broke her back a year ago in Kuala Lumpur while taking a photo outside Petronas Tower. Things happen.

We assume that our passports are invalid six months prior to expired because that is what some countries insist on. That is six months after you leave, not enter. So we simply renew about 7-9 months out. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. It becomes one less thing to concern ourselves with when planning a trip.

Edited by iancal

Many of us in U.S. don't get what the big deal is either. I cannot fathom why anyone wants to leave their home country and resist having a valid passport. It is the best form of ID and recognized by all nations. Why stress and fret so much when the whole world carries passports?

JMO......

It's not a big deal, our government gives us choices and we are free to make those choices. I haven't fretted. I haven't stressed, I haven't worried about "peace of mind". I examined my options, I calculated the odds, I considered my individual needs and made my decision. For some people a passport is the document they need for their travel needs, for others it's a passport card, Enhanced Drivers License or birth certificate/government ID. It's not a one size fits all choice.

We travel frequently and sometimes at the last minute. Often for 8-12 weeks.

Enjoying good health does not in any way mean that you will not be struck by any untoward medical condition while travelling. Or be an accident victim. DW broke her back a year ago in Kuala Lumpur while taking a photo outside Petronas Tower. Things happen.

We assume that our passports are invalid six months prior to expired because that is what some countries insist on. That is six months after you leave, not enter. So we simply renew about 7-9 months out. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. It becomes one less thing to concern ourselves with when planning a trip.

That's a stronger case for travel insurance. Your assumption is only valid if you happen to be traveling to a country that does require 6 months remaining when you leave, if you aren't traveling to one of those countries there is no need to renew early.

The regulations are very clear: one's Passport should extend for a minimum of 6 months beyond one's travel dates. To attempt to embark a cruise with documents that do not meet the requirements may allow you the "joy" of watching your ship sail without you and you just lost whatever you paid for the trip. In short, embarkation may be denied!

Why risk such a scenario?

That's always the recommendation, it is not a requirement unless the port you are visiting happens to require it (and none of the ports in the Caribbean do require it).

The US Department of State website states, "To enter Honduras, you must present a U.S. passport with at least six months remaining validity." http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/honduras.html

So the statement that I made about the 6 month requirement in the Caribbean is still valid.

You need to look at each country since it varies greatly. Just looking at the State Dept web site:

Antigua - 3 months

Aruba/Curacao/Bonaire - 3 months

Barbados - time of entry

Belize - length of stay

Cayman Islands - time of entry

Dominica - time of entry

Dominican Republic - time of entry

Grenada - 6 months

Martinique and St. Barts - 6 months

Mexico - 6 months

Saint Kitts and Nevis - 6 months

Saint Lucia - 6 months

Saint Martin - time of entry

Given the differences between requirements for each country it is obvious why cruise lines (and air lines) make a general requirement that 6 months validity is required.

The regulations are very clear: one's Passport should extend for a minimum of 6 months beyond one's travel dates. To attempt to embark a cruise with documents that do not meet the requirements may allow you the "joy" of watching your ship sail without you and you just lost whatever you paid for the trip. In short, embarkation may be denied!

Why risk such a scenario?

There is no US regulation to that effect.

You need to look at each country since it varies greatly. Just looking at the State Dept web site:

Antigua - 3 months

Aruba/Curacao/Bonaire - 3 months

Barbados - time of entry

Belize - length of stay

Cayman Islands - time of entry

Dominica - time of entry

Dominican Republic - time of entry

Grenada - 6 months

Martinique and St. Barts - 6 months

Mexico - 6 months

Saint Kitts and Nevis - 6 months

Saint Lucia - 6 months

Saint Martin - time of entry

Given the differences between requirements for each country it is obvious why cruise lines (and air lines) make a general requirement that 6 months validity is required.

Aren't those requirements for travelers arriving by air? (I do agree that travelers need to verify these requirements prior to traveling, it's part of the due diligence that is required.)

Edited by sparks1093

Here's an unusual one.

Fall 2007, my husband and I got passports in anticipation of a trip to Nassau in Spring 2008. We applied together, but he received his passport a week earlier. Expiration date on his passport is October 25, 2017; expiration date on mine is October 30, 2017.

Fast forward nine years. We just booked a closed-loop Caribbean Cruise on Carnival Magic. Leaves Port Canaveral on October 21, 2017, arrives back on the 28th.

Meaning my husband's passport expires on the cruise, and mine doesn't.

Is my husband's passport really no good for the cruise? (I'm thinking yes.) I know we can use our birth certificates, but they won't work for a medical emergency. I also know about the six-month suggestion. Should I renew my passport as well, since mine expires two days later?

PS: I'm not going to complain that we applied for our passports too early. Since we got our passports in October, we were able to fly to Europe on our anniversary in early November 2008. At the time, my daughter worked for the airlines, and we got greatly discounted flight tickets.

If you intend to renew them, there is no reason to wait too long. I would renew them around the first of August.

Wow. I never expected this to go three pages.

1) Stinks that it's so close. But I'm sure we are going to renew. But the earliest we are going to renew is Summer 2017. That way, we are all set for our potential cruise in Spring 2027.

2) Someone mentioned travel insurance. Our cruise agent put travel insurance on as an option. I mentioned that to my husband, and we both agree we need it this time. My husband's father isn't in the best of health. Peace of mind.

3) Honduras is on the Western Caribbean cruise we were considering. Decided on Eastern, because I didn't want to miss my granddaughter's birthday.

Edited by LadyBeBop