Surgery and cruising

bubba83

I may be having issues with my gallbladder but I am not able to get an ultrasound until this Friday.... In the event I need to have it removed and if my dr clears me for the cruise will I be okay to cruise mid April.... Not sure if there is a policy by Royal Caribbean or anything. Like that....

I would hate to miss this cruise, my family has been looking forward to this for the past 18 months!

I may be having issues with my gallbladder but I am not able to get an ultrasound until this Friday.... In the event I need to have it removed and if my dr clears me for the cruise will I be okay to cruise mid April.... Not sure if there is a policy by Royal Caribbean or anything. Like that....

I would hate to miss this cruise, my family has been looking forward to this for the past 18 months!

Royal has no policy on surgery, but I would think you should talk with your physician and go by their advice.

Your surgeon has the last say, but if you have it done laparascopically, you generally can go back to work in a week or so. My attitude is if I am good enough to work, I am good enough to cruise!

I like your thinking about good enough to work, good enough to cruise.... After all I will be relaxing on the cruise! Haha

Even if you dont' have it done laparoscopically, you're looking at 5-6 weeks (depending on when you actually have the surgery). Barring any complications, you should be fine. I've had many (many, many, many) abdominal surgeries and usually after about 4 weeks I could drive, travel, etc.

Obviously, YMMV, and only your doctor can give you the true answer.

You should only be down for 2 weeks so you'll be fine. My friend had hers out two weeks ago and it was quite detailed and serious and she was released to go back to work after 2 weeks.

My DH had his removed laparoscopically more about 8 years ago. He went into surgery around 8 am and was home by 1. He wanted tacos for dinner so that's what we had. He never had a problem and was able to get back to his daily 6 mile walk within a couple of weeks. We had a friend who had hers done about 3 years ago and she was back at work and doing pretty much anything she wanted within 3 weeks. Cruising shouldn't be an issue but double check with your dr.

If you NEED surgery..get it before you cruise. It would be awful to get on the ship, and THEN need surgery! The costs are phenomenal!

The costs of what? Surgery onboard. I know, please, that that's not what you were talking about;)

You don't want to have a gall bladder attack at sea because it could become an emergency situation which is what I think (hope) was meant.

I'm pretty sure the OP plans to get it before any cruise. He/she just wanted assurance that they would be able to cruise that soon after.

I had mine out on a Friday afternoon, stopped for some takeout on the way home and was back to work that next Monday morning. So only two days rest time. I had three 1 inch cuts down my side and one in the belly button. I wore loose fitting clothing for a few days but other then that I was good to go.

Edited by BeachChik

I just had laparoscopic surgery last Friday the 19th and went back to work today. I would be ok traveling in a week or so. Just keep in mind if you have stitches you may not be able to submerge in water for a few weeks ( they told me three)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had mine out 3 years ago. I had it planned to have mine out on a Monday. Since I am a teacher, I decided to take the whole week and did all the lesson plans. Then my dad died the Saturday before the surgery. So I called the doctor and asked when was the soonest that I could fly (my parents lived in another state). He said to give it a week but he ok'd me to fly the Friday after the surgery. The surgery was nothing, a few hours in a surgery center and I felt much better then before. Check about flying if you are doing that.

My husband had surgery on his belly button about 3 weeks before our cruise.

He just stand out of the pools.

I just had laparoscopic surgery last Friday the 19th and went back to work today. I would be ok traveling in a week or so. Just keep in mind if you have stitches you may not be able to submerge in water for a few weeks ( they told me three)

It was 6 weeks for me.

Ok great everyone...thanks for the feedback...this is keeping me positive....once we get the results back from my ultrasound that I am getting Friday, if I do indeed have gallstones, I am going to demand we just take it out ASAP vs the wait and see and try and control through my diet.... that way I should be all good to go come April 17th for our cruise....we are not flying, just driving 3hrs to port....hopefully food wont bother me so much after the possible surgery, I have heard that with some it goes right through them and others it doesn't....I would like to try all the food of my liking on the cruise if I can...but wont be too disappointed if I cant, just as long as I can still CRUISE :D

Ok great everyone...thanks for the feedback...this is keeping me positive....once we get the results back from my ultrasound that I am getting Friday, if I do indeed have gallstones, I am going to demand we just take it out ASAP vs the wait and see and try and control through my diet.... that way I should be all good to go come April 17th for our cruise....we are not flying, just driving 3hrs to port....hopefully food wont bother me so much after the possible surgery, I have heard that with some it goes right through them and others it doesn't....I would like to try all the food of my liking on the cruise if I can...but wont be too disappointed if I cant, just as long as I can still CRUISE :D

Yes, you can control it through your diet - no high fat food until after surgery. That's usually what causes a stone. Good luck!

Don't know your age, but now with micro band aid surgery, my, 36 yrs old at the time, daughter was back playing tennis in 4 days, I kid you not! When I had mine out way back in 1977, it took 6 weeks before I could walk without hunching over....the miracle of modern medicine!

The scheduling of the surgery will depend upon your surgeon's schedule, his block time in the OR, and the cases already scheduled in the OR. Since this is elective surgery, there may be some wait time as elective surgeries are scheduled well in advance. To lessen the wait, you can be flexible as to where you have the surgery performed, or go with one of your surgeon's partners that can get you in at an earlier date. Obvioiusly, letting your surgeon know you have a cruise scheduled may help in getting you to the head of the line as well! Good luck, speedy recovery, and have a fabulous cruise.

Well my results are back, I have multiple gallstones and sludge (whatever that means)....I am being referred to a general surgeon as my Dr is recommending my gallbladder be removed. Hopefully I have my consult with them sometime next week and then the surgery within that week after so that gives me one full month to recover before the cruise....

Our poor 5 year old daughter has been battling strep for 3 weeks now and is now on a 3rd antibiotic, she is being referred to an ENT as her tonsils may need to come out but they cant see her until later this month....hopefully we get the strep cleared up and then surgery at some point earlier enough before the cruise where she can recover or maybe it be something we can have done after the cruise....

I would just hate for her to come down with Strep again while on the cruise...would the infirmary even have antibiotics for her?