I must be missing something. Pricing a cruise online.

Elva

I have sailed HAL twice in the past. I was able price cruises on their website by logging in, picking a specific sail date/ship, put in the number of passengers, and get a total price for the cruise based on the various cabin types I selected. Now, I can't seem to get that info unless I enter every last bit of data about every last person cruising. I don't want to do that when I'm just in the planning stages!! I just want a price! Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

Thank you!!

I have sailed HAL twice in the past. I was able price cruises on their website by logging in, picking a specific sail date/ship, put in the number of passengers, and get a total price for the cruise based on the various cabin types I selected. Now, I can't seem to get that info unless I enter every last bit of data about every last person cruising. I don't want to do that when I'm just in the planning stages!! I just want a price! Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

Thank you!!

They changed their site about 6 months ago. You have to get to the payment part before you get the actual site . My cruise lines have don the same thing.

Edited by Kamloops50

Having to provide personal info before getting a price is not what I have to do. And I'm not logged in to my profile, either. I just skip entry of Mariners number and senior citizen status, put in the number of people (am I solo or is DH interested) and submit, then choose type of cabin, even cabin number. If I choose to book, then I put in the personal info.

Are there more than 2 people in your cabin? I'm confused why you are having to enter payment info first.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Just tried it now on my iPhone. No payment info being collected until after number of pax and cabin selected.

There isn't even a tab like I remember (from 3 months ago ) when I last booked using the Windows interface.

I was having a lot of problems logging into the HAL website recently and specifically the cruises I had booked, gave up in frustration many times. Finally rang HAL to find out what was wrong and they said that HAL had updated their website and you can now only enter through Google Chrome and not Internet Explorer which I had always done. No problems now.

Yeah, getting just simple pricing info from HAL's website is ridiculously cumbersome. I don't even bother with it anymore and just go straight to online cruise booking sites (which of course can't be mentioned here) for rough pricing.

I search pricing on my iPhone and I've found you don't have to enter in personal information if you use Chrome. I found the cruise, entered in the people, clicked save and continue, selected Verandah and then "Let us Choose" and it gave me a list of various prices for room types. If you are just trying to get a feel for prices, this seems like the quickest way to do so. I check my summer cruise once a week to see if pricing has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cannot be bothered with HAL'site..or any other cruise line site.

We use a third party TA site to get approximate pricing. The bigger advantage is that we can see multiple competitive so prices from various cruise lines. Much easier to use, little personal data required, and much less agro.

Edited by iancal

It's a bad system. I get annoyed and leave sometimes when I am looking at various cruises. HAL's site is not the most user friendly.

While I agree, you should try Hurtengruten's, it actually makes HAL look good :rolleyes:.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I use Chrome exclusively on my laptop. I am typically trying to price a single cabin for 4 people. In the past, HA has given us price breaks for the 3rd/4th passenger in the same cabin - hence my interest in pricing that way. Tried again this morning with both Chrome and IE (both logged in and not logged in). Still can't get pricing.

I was hopeful that the iphone/Chrome suggestion would work (thanks for that). It seemed to work well for 2 people but could not get it to work for 4.

Yes... I could assume that the pricing is twice that for a party of two. And that puts HA out of the running for my business because I'm not going to put the four of us in a room without some price incentive. :)

Again, thanks for your replies.

You could try tracking the direct HAL sales on their site. Otherwise, when I was researching our group cruise, we found that 3rd party sites and subscription travel newsletters offered better deals for multiple people in a room. Several AMEX partnered travel agencies that have websites were offering 3rd and 4th people free and an option to use your Amex points to pay. I received an email from a Top 10 deal of the week site I like to use. It had the cruise we were booked on, a ton of extras and 3rd/4th person free. If we weren't party of this big party/group I would have booked it. I called the travel agency listed, they had plenty of rooms available. When I called HAL to match the deal, they said it was truly an exclusive offer with that company and couldn't be matched through HAL. Google will come up with lots of options, I found that AMEX partnered travel agencies had the best pricing (and one in particular that was connected to a travel Top 10 site)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I use Chrome exclusively on my laptop. I am typically trying to price a single cabin for 4 people. In the past, HA has given us price breaks for the 3rd/4th passenger in the same cabin - hence my interest in pricing that way. Tried again this morning with both Chrome and IE (both logged in and not logged in). Still can't get pricing.

I was hopeful that the iphone/Chrome suggestion would work (thanks for that). It seemed to work well for 2 people but could not get it to work for 4.

Yes... I could assume that the pricing is twice that for a party of two. And that puts HA out of the running for my business because I'm not going to put the four of us in a room without some price incentive. :)

Again, thanks for your replies.

Your problem is that you're trying to put more than 2 people in a cabin. HAL's website is set up like Noah's Ark, no more than 2 people to a cabin, even though there are plenty of cabins that will accommodate more than 2. Either try third party sites, as has been suggested, or call HAL to ask about pricing. (It's unusual for four in a cabin to cost twice the price of two in a cabin)

I've used firefox and had no trouble getting around the HAL site. I've found it easy to do dummy bookings. Cunard's site is more difficult. They ask for birthdates up front (I make something up if I don't want them to "recognize" us), and you can't back up and chance choices easily.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We had been eyeballing the Atlantic Adventure a couple of years and last year I had some health issues pop up that precluded consideration of going. So, was watching it again this year. The base published price for an OV Obst was $4499. Then last week I received an email about a private sale and the Atlantic Adventure was listed. I clicked on it and was sent to the normal cruise info page, indicating prices etc.. The page indicated a sale price on the OV obs of $3999. (I printed out the page) So, I continued to go through the booking process and when I reached the part of entering my Mariner number the price of the cruise jumped back to the original $4499. What is going on here I says to myself? So, I closed my browser and went back to the email and clicked on the Atlantic Adventure again, this time I did not get the sale price but rather the original $4499. I printed this page out and decided I would let my TA sort it out the next day (yesterday).

Got my TA on the phone yesterday and started explaining all of the previous to him and asking him to look in to it. He asked if the email had a promotion number on it, which it did and I gave that number to him. Then he shocks me completely when he comes back and said "I can beat both those prices". He had the OV Obst at $3579 and I ended up with an F cat full OV for $4079. with an OBC of $375. As there was only one Cat F cabin remaining, I snatched it up and we are now booked on the trip. Crazy or what?:cool:

Edited by Jalex63
added content

I just tried to do a mock booking on the HAL site and it did NOT give me any totals at all - it only gave the starting price for the cabin I chose pp without port fees or taxes. To get the "total page"I would have had to put in the individual info.

Your problem is that you're trying to put more than 2 people in a cabin. HAL's website is set up like Noah's Ark, no more than 2 people to a cabin, even though there are plenty of cabins that will accommodate more than 2. Either try third party sites, as has been suggested, or call HAL to ask about pricing. (It's unusual for four in a cabin to cost twice the price of two in a cabin)

I've used firefox and had no trouble getting around the HAL site. I've found it easy to do dummy bookings. Cunard's site is more difficult. They ask for birthdates up front (I make something up if I don't want them to "recognize" us), and you can't back up and chance choices easily.

In the mock booking it showed me only cabins with quad capacity but not totals

Thank you!!

Don't check "Are you a mariner" button.

The other part that is really stupid is that now it asks for which part of the ship you want as it has divided the ship into three parts. I find it much easier to use an online TA agency to look at available cabins as it takes three times as long with the HAL site.

Everyone has an opinion on the website. But no matter what your experience is, there is no doubt that it is not as good or as user-friendly, or as easy to find pricing information, as the old system. They have had many issues with the website since "upgrading" it.

I hate the site. OMG. Checking in is one big pain too. I made the mistake of telling them my flights. They wanted details every flight, even though I'd book them myself. Then they had to load all the airport codes for the dropdown, over and over again. It took 30 minutes, mostly wait time, to check in online. Horrible.

I used to find it pretty annoying, too. What I do is select my cabin number and at that point I have the per person rate. You will then see the amount to add for port charges, taxes, etc.(usually in small print), so I just add them together and multiply by two and you get the cost. We don't get the insurance, so don't need to add that on.