Denture Question

Sunsailor

I have full upper and lower dentures and am sailing on the Regal Princess in March... I was wondering what would happen if one of the pieces broke, could the medical staff help repair or would it require a port stop and dental lab visit... even a temporary fix would be a help...has anyone experienced such an event..

Thank you,

Mark

I would not count on the medical staff being able to do denture repairs. They could probably help out locating a dentist at your next port of call. If I were you, I'd talk to your dentist and ask if you could be provided with some temporary adhesive to get you through the cruise.

Good luck......hope you have a great cruise with no dental problems!

I'm not sure if they will have anything on the ship to help you out if that was to happen to you, but what I do is. If by chance you have and old set, bring them with you just in case, if not you can bring a repair kit that you can buy at any Walmart it's called Repair-It. But if you really want to play it safe on your cruise, just make sure not to bite down on anything real hard with the front of your dentures that is the weakest point, also try to cut your steak or hard foods into smaller bite size pieces and chew more on the rear and sides of your month and less on the front teeth. I know this why ? Because it has happen to me, but not on a cruise. Bon app'e teeth :)

My wife's crown came off one time on a cruise & we found that they don't sell even the basic glue you could find in Walgreen's for a temporary fix. We searched all the islands we stopped at on our trip & still we couldn't find any repair kit & had to wait till we returned home.

I have full upper and lower dentures and am sailing on the Regal Princess in March... I was wondering what would happen if one of the pieces broke, could the medical staff help repair or would it require a port stop and dental lab visit... even a temporary fix would be a help...has anyone experienced such an event..

Thank you,

Mark

My cabin Stewart's cap fell out. He was lucky my wife had some dental glue. To this day I can't believe she had some. :eek: She gave it to him because he was not able to have it taken care of until he got back to Florida. He was so thankful.

Tony

There is generally no dental service of any kind on cruises. And this becomes interesting on long cruises (we routinely cruise for many weeks). Two years ago DW had a Crown fall off (fortunately she did not swallow it) while having lunch on a cruise around the British Isles. The Medical Staff (this was a Princess cruise) onboard had nothing (including dental glue) to help and they could not even recommend a shoreside dentist in our future ports. So I went on the internet and found a dentist near our next port (Edinburgh, Scotland) and used our phone (we carry a phone that works just about anywhere in the world) to call the Dentist's Office. We explained our problem and they gave us an appointment for the next morning (when we would be in that port). The next day we walked to the Dentist office where they did a temporary repair (which has lasted for nearly 2 years). Recently, a good friend was on a NCL cruise in Europe and got an abscessed tooth. It was a similar situation where he had to make his own emergency dental arrangements at the next port.

Hank

There is generally no dental service of any kind on cruises. And this becomes interesting on long cruises (we routinely cruise for many weeks). Two years ago DW had a Crown fall off (fortunately she did not swallow it) while having lunch on a cruise around the British Isles. The Medical Staff (this was a Princess cruise) onboard had nothing (including dental glue) to help and they could not even recommend a shoreside dentist in our future ports. So I went on the internet and found a dentist near our next port (Edinburgh, Scotland) and used our phone (we carry a phone that works just about anywhere in the world) to call the Dentist's Office. We explained our problem and they gave us an appointment for the next morning (when we would be in that port). The next day we walked to the Dentist office where they did a temporary repair (which has lasted for nearly 2 years). Recently, a good friend was on a NCL cruise in Europe and got an abscessed tooth. It was a similar situation where he had to make his own emergency dental arrangements at the next port.

Hank

As I mentioned above the medical center will make an appt for the passenger for service's not provided onboard usually through the port agent at the next port. We have had this happen twice.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My cabin Stewart's cap fell out. He was lucky my wife had some dental glue. To this day I can't believe she had some. :eek: She gave it to him because he was not able to have it taken care of until he got back to Florida. He was so thankful.

Tony

Your good deed for the day Tony:D:D

I worked in the dental profession for over 30 years and we always supplied our patients, free of charge, with dental repair kits for when they were travelling where dentists may not be available.

The professional dental adhesive is much better than the drug store kind and your dentist can show you how to effectively use it in case of emergency.

As I mentioned above the medical center will make an appt for the passenger for service's not provided onboard usually through the port agent at the next port. We have had this happen twice.

Yeah, so we thought. But on the Ruby Princess, DW tried asking at both the Medical Center and Guest Relations (on the advice of the Medical Center nurse who was not helpful) who were less than helpful. As to what happens on other ships and lines we cannot say as this was our only dental emergency on about 100 cruises.

Hank

Yeah, so we thought. But on the Ruby Princess, DW tried asking at both the Medical Center and Guest Relations (on the advice of the Medical Center nurse who was not helpful) who were less than helpful. As to what happens on other ships and lines we cannot say as this was our only dental emergency on about 100 cruises.

Hank

Thats strange, one of ours was the Ruby. :(

The other was the Emerald.

Thank you,

Mark

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324030

On a 28 day cruise a few years ago, most of the time we were the only ship way out in the Pacific Ocean and the ports were very far apart, and an onboard friend had the misfortune of have a front tooth break off from his denture.

Lucky for him, I always carry a denture repair kit when cruising, and I loaned it to him and he was able to reattach the tooth. It stayed attached for at least the remainder of the cruise.

As others have mentioned, you can find these kits at your local drugstore or possible WalMart.

Edited by flamomo

Working in the profession for many years, we had patients who had a back up set of dentures made for emergencies specially if they were traveling or even traveled as business. They are not as quality as the original set but work great for a quick fix. Check with your dentist.