Fantastic medical team

I love Royal Caribbean.

My husband and I were on a cruise from Boston to Tampa 13 Nights on Brilliance o.S.

On the first night my husband(83) became disoriented and was unable to get into bed.

I called for help and Nurse and Doctor arrived .

They took a blood test and returned Husband to bed.

Two hours later Husband was very confused and did not remember where he was.

Called medical staff again and he was transported to medical facility.

They took EKG, xrays, Blood test and numerous other test.

Drs. found complete dehydration and he was infused with two bags of fluid.

After a day and a half we returned to our cabin.

Next morning my Husband was in recovery and we finished the entire cruise.

My husband has never had such a complete check-up as in the RC medical facility.

The Drs. and Nurses where first rate, efficient kind and competent.

This was our 30 tiest cruise.

I can't thank the medical staff enough for their great service, thank's to them we are not afraid to keep cruising.

I'm glad he turned out safe and that the staff were able to take great care of him!

It also makes me feel a bit better at sea knowing they have that much capability while in the middle of a body of water that they can handle those types of issues instead of just immediately calling for a medical evac.

Great to hear. The Oasis medical staff a few years ago did a fantastic job with me as well on the day when I was experiencing the most physical pain of my life.

I'll always feel like I'm in good hands if I ever have to visit the medical facility again.

My DH and I are in our mid-70s. I'm always mindful of dehydration, especially on travel days. On the ship, we can rest when needed and watch our liquid intake, but on long travel days to airport, then long flight, then travel to hotel or ship we really have to push ourselves. I try to plan carefully to break up the travel so we can rest. It is a problem and we do the best we can.

Best of luck to you. We have had a wonderful experience in the ship's medical facility too. DH is a cancer survivor and has some medical issues left from chemotherapy causing neuropathy and pain. These episodes are rare and come out of the blue. The ship's Doctor was wonderful and seemed more knowledgeable than some in our home town.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we were on Jewel I had to go to the infirmary due do some very bad stomach pains. They ran a bunch of tests. The potassium can back low and they thought I was having a heart attack. They seemed adamant about it. I keep saying I have never had a low potassium and I wanted them to run the test again. It came back normal. Turns out it was gallbladder pain which they diagnosed after the normal potassium test. I ended up having gallbladder surgery a couple of months after we got back. Of course I didn't listen to the Dr. that I should go right away to have it looked at. Everything was fine after the surgery.

Later they told us that the second day (10 day cruise) a man was medivaced due to him having a heart attack. The day I was in there he was in Atlanta having open heart surgery. I can see why they were really concerned about me having one. Thank goodness it wasn't. They probably saved that man's life.

Great to read your post. There are not many places where you can vaction and have medical facilities as aboard these ships just a short elevator ride away unless you vacation at the Mass General.

People seem to come on these boards and knock the medical staff frequently. I have been very impressed with the physicians whom I have chatted with aboard the ships. They have to deal many folks who cruise with their chronic conditions that often decompensate on a cruise due to activity level and food/alcohol intake changes. Many of the people who post complaints have no idea what it is like taking care of a population of 8000 people that changes over every week.

Great post OP.