Weather in Alaska?

crazycruzer68

You just never know. It could be warm, cooler, sunny, windy, or rainy or the combination of all even on the same day.

The key is to layer.

We have been there many times and weather always different. On our last mid August visit it rained quite a bit.

But on your cruise it could be sunny.

Again layer and that includes a waterproof jacket with a hood.

Keith

You just never know. It could be warm, cooler, sunny, windy, or rainy or the combination of all even on the same day.

The key is to layer.

We have been there many times and weather always different. On our last mid August visit it rained quite a bit.

Keith

You will get no better advice than this!

The key is to layer.

Keith

We bought really light weight waterproof jackets for an August Alaska cruise- but then somebody said we should get ponchos instead. I am not a poncho fan at all- I get sticky when it's a little humid, get wet when I have to take off a wet poncho and figure out how to stow it, and find maneuvering in ponchos to be a bit difficult. Would you recommend that we still get ponchos?

On my mid-August trips... 50% of my port time was wet. I remember the plastic ponchos being passed out. I prefer umbrellas.

You can see on this climate charts you'll see increasing wetness. July is preferred for dryer weather.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/juneau/alaska/united-states/usak0116

Skagway was shutdown last year due to a windstorm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47479186#post47479186

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tryeTZwKuqs

Edited by xlxo

We bought really light weight waterproof jackets for an August Alaska cruise- but then somebody said we should get ponchos instead. I am not a poncho fan at all- I get sticky when it's a little humid, get wet when I have to take off a wet poncho and figure out how to stow it, and find maneuvering in ponchos to be a bit difficult. Would you recommend that we still get ponchos?

If you don't own a waterproof jacket and don't want to buy one because you'll never wear it again, a poncho over a jacket is an alternative.

But since you already bought a jacket, no NEED for the poncho.

Having said that, I always keep a poncho in my backpack wherever I travel. It's a great backup and in rainy weather it keeps my daypack (camera) dry.

Please, no umbrellas .... they're irritating and dangerous on crowded sidewalks and they block people's views.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe for a backup plan, i read in a few excursion descriptions they discouraged ponchos as unsafe getting in & out etc.

one good point I do recall though - even if have a hooded coat/rainwear was recommneded to bring a baseball type hat - the brim kept rain out under hood, and easier to take photos. Also read depending on what planning to do, something about light rain pants- nothing worse thaan wet jeans. Mulling that item over still as We are sailing end of July to Alaska too, and very hard to pack for compared to my Caribbean cruising packing I have down to a science.

Are rain pants recommended? Don't want to invest if they are not really needed.

I researched same question, my conclussion- depends on excursion choice. In details of some excursions it will list clothing items they provide.

I am going to try some resale/Goodwills perhaps. Already found a almost brand new waterproof light jacket that sells for $65-95 and mine was just $4. Bought it in mind to cover me + camera gear- spouse assumed was for him. So now looking for another cover up or pant. Happy husband shopping with wife in Alaska while staying dry- happy wife.

Are rain pants recommended? Don't want to invest if they are not really needed.

Are you someone that likes to be out on deck? Don't think of them as rain pants but rather wind pants. You will be infinitely warmer having them as a wind block. 50 degree temp and a 20+ knot wind (your ship's speed plus the local breeze) can be brutal if you aren't prepared. And look to see that your jacket also has a windblock. Those great deal fleece jackets will keep you warm in your cabin but provide no resistance to the wind. Don't freeze in the breeze.

The only time I ever see a local wearing a poncho is when two grand dames do a walk through cameo as tourists in the local bi-annual Mummers play.

There are tons of weather sites and climate sites on the WEB. There is a difference between weather and climate. Have you used Google to find them and check them out. Also, anything that any of us CC'ers can tell you is what the weather was like on the day that we were there. The weather in AK on any given day can be totally different the next day.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Are you someone that likes to be out on deck? Don't think of them as rain pants but rather wind pants. You will be infinitely warmer having them as a wind block. 50 degree temp and a 20+ knot wind (your ship's speed plus the local breeze) can be brutal if you aren't prepared. And look to see that your jacket also has a windblock. Those great deal fleece jackets will keep you warm in your cabin but provide no resistance to the wind. Don't freeze in the breeze.

The only time I ever see a local wearing a poncho is when two grand dames do a walk through cameo as tourists in the local bi-annual Mummers play.

Great advice & logic. Now onto jacket question (cruise last week July) was thinking of my trilayer winter Columbia winter ski jacket- not sure if waterproof vs. water resistant, or wearing my Northface Fleece & waterproof Eddie Bauer raincoat.

Great advice & logic. Now onto jacket question (cruise last week July) was thinking of my trilayer winter Columbia winter ski jacket- not sure if waterproof vs. water resistant, or wearing my Northface Fleece & waterproof Eddie Bauer raincoat.

I just sooooo love being a fashion consultant ......

waterproof unless you like the drowned rat look

ski jacket sounds like it's insulated. too much too thick

by the end of your comment you'd reached the correct combo, fleece with waterproof jacket.

I just sooooo love being a fashion consultant ......

waterproof unless you like the drowned rat look

ski jacket sounds like it's insulated. too much too thick

by the end of your comment you'd reached the correct combo, fleece with waterproof jacket.

Well truly appreciate the advice. At least I am more comfortable with my major item questions.

We have had more rainy cool days than sunny warm days in Alaska. But then again, had one cruise that was sunny the entire time. I'm hoping for a repeat!

I agree with previous poster. My preferred layering includes a long sleeve shirt, lightweight fleece, waterproof rain jacket. It's worth it to invest in a good breathable waterproof rain jacket for sure.

I have taken rain pants on all of my Alaska cruises (+one Norwegian cruise) and have yet to put them on. Not because there haven't been downpours or a lack of rain. I just find my jeans are fine and I don't need the hassle to put them on. Who knows if they even still fit. :eek: Alas, I'll still throw them in the next trip to Alaska.

If you don't use this gear, then the weather was great on your trip. If don't have it with you, then you might miss somethings you could have enjoyed, by not being prepared.

We always have rain pants with us. Usually not for the rain but for the wind. We did the Kenai Peninsula boat trip over 6 hours in early September. We enjoyed good weather clear & cool. However the rain pants added much more comfort while out on deck. We spent over 6 hours on deck & only used the cabin for lunch & the restroom. ( the next day it rained hard in Seward & people on these boat trips did not have good weather )

We enjoyed the scenery much, took some wonderful photos, & did not miss any of the action in & on the water.

We also took a flight-seeing trip around Mt. Denali with glacier landing. We spent 30 minutes on the glacier at 14 degrees F. Glad to have the pants. These are light, do not take up much room, & you will be happy to have them when needed.

Happy Travels, John

The key is to layer.

Keith

Quoted because it warrants being repeated :)

I've made 8 or 9 trips to Alaska. The first one, the weather was so dreadful I thought I would feel cold and damp for the rest of my life :eek: :D

Since then I've had 3 or 4 days of sub-optimal weather, but I am (now) always prepared for rain and cold.