Live Valparaiso to FLL on Silver Spirit

dusababy

Voyage a real adventure beginning with earthquake in Antarctica which delayed Spirit's departure by several hours - still experiencing major swells resulting from what might have been tsunami. Captain Arma excellent in dealing with major challenges - really haven't had time to get pax numbers, officers, etc. but will try to update details soon. Ship looks fine - crew is wonderful as usual. Food so far so good -- first time sun has peeked through since boarding - looking forward to interesting excursions and will be Dandy in the Andes....

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann, hope Walter and you have a terrific sailing. Is Alec still on board? If Darwin is Sommelier in La Terraza, please tell him hello and mention Mr. Kennedy and I said to take good care of y'all.

West haven't seen Alec - nor am I sure if Darwin aboard. Ate in La Te first night but things have been unexpected to say the least. Can't dock today because of huge swells -- much disappointment amongst pax - Capt. Arma can't control the mighty Pacific. Will post more details when available -- flexibility is the key to optimal enjoyment. Food excellent and plenty of wine.

West coast of SA frequently has large swells that prevent docking. We missed Salaverry several years ago, and our friend Wellseasoned lamented that as a doctor, he really wanted to go to "Salivery" to learn more about their anatomy!

Also, if they retract the stabilizers too soon, there will be some rocking and rolling before you enter the ports.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

We are today docked at Salaverry -- only here for 5 hours - will not go ashore since it is 9 miles from port into the city - have really had enough of Peru and western coast of So.America. Surprising in diversity yet mucho desert and lots of "fragrances" permeating the atmosphere. Sea day tomorrow - then we'll be back in northern hemisphere. Spirit is in great condition - Captain Arma has been challenged almost every day along the way - land etc. Have some wonderful lecturers aboard enlightening me (all of us I dare say) with obscure facts about this part of the world.

Enjoying the trip - Venetian and Captain's table tomorrow night. I'm getting to like Spirit better except for the unfortunate theater arrangement.

Crew is fabulous as usual.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

We are today docked at Salaverry -- only here for 5 hours - will not go ashore since it is 9 miles from port into the city - have really had enough of Peru and western coast of So.America. Surprising in diversity yet mucho desert and lots of "fragrances" permeating the atmosphere. Sea day tomorrow - then we'll be back in northern hemisphere. Spirit is in great condition - Captain Arma has been challenged almost every day along the way - land etc. Have some wonderful lecturers aboard enlightening me (all of us I dare say) with obscure facts about this part of the world.

Enjoying the trip - Venetian and Captain's table tomorrow night. I'm getting to like Spirit better except for the unfortunate theater arrangement.

Crew is fabulous as usual.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Kill them at trivia Mary Ann!

Kill them at trivia Mary Ann!

Came in #1 at Trivia yesterday Bill -- thanks for encouragement.

Long time between posts -- transit Canal yesterday - excellent day and very interesting experience. Haven't seen one other cruise ship on this entire voyage, although approaching Key West in #1 day I'm sure that will change. Weather has been fine - smooth seas after we escaped the swells - no complaints from us but have heard the usual gripes from hard to please. Will hopefully post a more detailed review when home.

A fine collection of experienced cruisers aboard.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Came in #1 at Trivia yesterday. Long time between posts -- transit Canal yesterday - excellent day and very interesting experience. Haven't seen one other cruise ship on this entire voyage, although approaching Key West in #1 day I'm sure that will change. Will hopefully post a more detailed review when home. Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Appreciate, Mary Ann, these posting and looking forward to many more details. Any picture posting possible?? We have not yet done the Panama Canal and hope to do that at a future point in time. Plus, we would like to see Chile, that western part of South America, etc. Safe travels home!! Don't go too wild in Key West.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,636 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I'm home in California after debarking Spirit in FLL yesterday morning.

The two tugs --as far as I know it wasn't a technical problem but more of a bureaucratic problem. It was a nightmare. Even after missing Key West due to heavy weather which predicted we wouldn't be able to get out of the berth/harbor until possibly Monday sometime -- arrived FLL early and about 7 PM Captain announced immigration demanded all pax disembark - a very long forced march to collect in arrivals hall - assemble and wait until everyone had been cleared. Immigration was imperious - I couldn't help thinking gee -- this is Sunday night overtime for a whole lot of people to exercise authority. (And don't say it was an abundance of precaution keeping the Homeland safe) We were allowed back on about 8:30 and were met with champagne - finally got to the dining room and as our first course was served the waiters/crew/staff were called off in shifts to be cleared. Dinner finished about 10:30. Monday debark day the luggage, which had been collected overnight - was offloaded (why couldn't they have done it Sunday night, more union people to collect overtime, since we had been docked since 7 PM?) - so we watched that being off-loaded and then finally we were released. Fortunately our flight left at 1:30 so didn't miss any connections. Once again the fun of Port Everglades.

Excellent CD Vikki has a one-woman show called SHIP HAPPENS -- and it certainly did on this voyage beginning with the tender embarkation in Valparaiso after departing guests and luggage off-loaded by tender -- arriving guests tendered aboard -- none of the inconveniences were the fault of Silversea and I felt sorry for Captain Arma.

SHIP HAPPENS -- but it makes for a great story when someone asks "how was your cruise?"

Mary Ann