Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

Watching her on the Port of Miami webcam now. Captain turned her around so I can see my window :D I finally believe this cruise is going to happen.

Hopefully she's in better shape than Harmony. :eek:

Sorry, I haven't been following Harmony threads...what's wrong?

Lots of things still be worked on, some venues not open, the weather is bad so interior is crowded :rolleyes:, and no solarium pool. :eek::eek:

No mention of cockroaches, though. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

Lots of things still be worked on, some venues not open, the weather is bad so interior is crowded :rolleyes:, and no solarium pool. :eek::eek:

No mention of cockroaches, though. ;)

I read that they ran out of fresh-squeezed orange juice and bottled water on Day 2. No guacamole in Sabor because they forgot to order avocados. Solarium not open, being charged for specialty coffees that should have been included in the package and charged for three drinks instead of two. Long lines at GS. All the reasons I did not choose to be on the first sailing of the Empress, but things that will not ruin the cruise for me.

I read that they ran out of fresh-squeezed orange juice and bottled water on Day 2. No guacamole in Sabor because they forgot to order avocados. Solarium not open, being charged for specialty coffees that should have been included in the package and charged for three drinks instead of two. Long lines at GS. All the reasons I did not choose to be on the first sailing of the Empress, but things that will not ruin the cruise for me.

I think the bottled water situation on Harmony was just at one bar. I did read another post which stated that they were able to get bottled water elsewhere. But yes, things haven't been going as smooth as most people hoped. That is somewhat to be expected on a shakedown cruise.

I quit reading at that point because I just want to hear about the good things. I hope I don't have to try very hard to ignore that type of thing on the Empress or, alternatively, that it is so bad it is comical. Looking forward to the cruise for many reasons and ready to have a good time in any case.

The folks on Empress first sailing didn't plan to be I'm pretty sure. ;)

I know we didn't!! :eek: We booked the May 28th cruise because we had a three day weekend from work so less vacation days used! We would never book an inaugural cruise on purpose and figured there would be plenty of cruises before ours to work out the "bugs"! :p The second round of cancellations came after our final payment so we were then stuck! It's been a roller coaster wondering what was actually going to happen but now we are looking forward to sailing on Saturday! I think everyone is relieved and looking forward to a good time!

I actually booked the first sailing on purpose. The Empress was ALWAYS my favorite ship. When they cancelled, I picked the May 28 sailing and rebooked just because I still wanted to sail on her and her first "scheduled" sailing at that time didn't work for my schedule. I'm pretty excited that I somehow managed to still be on the first sailing after everything that happened!

I actually booked the first sailing on purpose. The Empress was ALWAYS my favorite ship. When they cancelled, I picked the May 28 sailing and rebooked just because I still wanted to sail on her and her first "scheduled" sailing at that time didn't work for my schedule. I'm pretty excited that I somehow managed to still be on the first sailing after everything that happened!

I just don't get the appeal of being on the first cruise out of the yard. It just seems there are to many opportunities for issues. RE, Harmony. ;)

Glad it worked out and you will be onboard for the first cruise! Although we didn't try to plan it, we are now looking forward to it and will definitely enjoy it! See you onboard Saturday!

Did anyone see this???

The article says she's sailing her first trip on May 27 and visiting Coco Cay and Nassau?!!??!

http://www.******************.com/2016/05/25/royal-caribbeans-empress-of-the-seas-returns-miami

Yeah, that's wrong.

First sailing leaves on May 28th to Key West and Grand Cayman.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Could the May 27 cruise be the "shakedown" cruise referenced in other threads? Apparently it's a free cruise only RCL staff could go on and they all have assignments to work out any kinks before she sails for paying passengers on the 28th. Could she get all the way to coco cay and Nassau and back to Miami in one day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Could the May 27 cruise be the "shakedown" cruise referenced in other threads? Apparently it's a free cruise only RCL staff could go on and they all have assignments to work out any kinks before she sails for paying passengers on the 28th. Could she get all the way to coco cay and Nassau and back to Miami in one day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, that wouldn't work.

The shakedown is from the 26th to 28th, with the first cruise being on the 28th.

It's simply a mistake.