Called HAL about charge

I had to call HAL about a charge on my charge card. I just explained to the fellow I had a question about a charge. What my post is about is that they must go by caller ID because I had my mariner number, booking number (we just got off the ship) charge card number. I wanted to be prepared for whatever they would need. He asked me to hold and when he got back on he start talking about the charge but I never gave him any info. Not even my name (people always ask us how to spell and how to pronounce our last name.) I just found it to be strange.

They must have integrated the phone system with their CRM system. It is something I have setup with my previous employer for the Call Center. You take the ANI information from the Telco, this is the CallerID info, and have an program running on the computer system. This connects you to the call, then the process passes the ANI to the CRM and pulls up your records. Some times while you are on hold the call is in the queue and the and agent gets a call and your record gets pulled up. The agent has 10-30 seconds (depending on how it is set) to look at your history, comments so they are familiar with you as a customer. When you get connected to the agent they are already at the advantage.

Some information can be current sales/booking information, what cruises you may have looked at (interest in a sale or up-sale), if you are a nice person or on the flip side a real *#$@ to the agents etc.

In the end, it is to improve customer impressions and shorten the amount of time on the phone.

Technology has taken away anonymity and privacy. They probably have a whole portfolio on each of us giving them all kinds of information such as what we pay per diem for cruising, average of OB spending, etc. Seems to be the trend in business.

Why would they not know what we spend? Hard to get those mariner credits for spending if they don't know what you spend, isn't it? That's got nothing to do with technology - retailers and other vendors have known their good customers and what they spend since before the horse and buggy days. All technology does is make it easier to track.

They must have integrated the phone system with their CRM system. It is something I have setup with my previous employer for the Call Center. You take the ANI information from the Telco, this is the CallerID info, and have an program running on the computer system. This connects you to the call, then the process passes the ANI to the CRM and pulls up your records. Some times while you are on hold the call is in the queue and the and agent gets a call and your record gets pulled up. The agent has 10-30 seconds (depending on how it is set) to look at your history, comments so they are familiar with you as a customer. When you get connected to the agent they are already at the advantage.

Some information can be current sales/booking information, what cruises you may have looked at (interest in a sale or up-sale), if you are a nice person or on the flip side a real *#$@ to the agents etc.

In the end, it is to improve customer impressions and shorten the amount of time on the phone.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how that system works. Had I realized it when we were talking I would have asked out of curiosity. It wasn't until I hung up I asked myself...how did he do that?

There are no secrets in the world today.

Why would it be shocking a business with whom you deal would have caller ID and information attached to your telephone number? I almost expect it from large companies these days.

I made an on line purchase today from a company I never dealt with. I needed a baby present. When it said to enter name and e-mail address and get a discount coupon, as soon as I entered my e-mail a message appeared which had all my information except credit card number. I scratched my head how they had it as I never dealt with them before. I then remembered they are connected to another retailer (on line and brick and mortar) with whom I had done business.

No secrets.....

There are no secrets in the world today.

Why would it be shocking a business with whom you deal would have caller ID and information attached to your telephone number? I almost expect it from large companies these days.

The same thing happened to me today (not HAL, but a booking agency I use to book hotels). I was pleasantly surprised when she asked if I was ....... before I told her. :) It was nice that she had all my info at her fingertips.

Do many home phones have toll free numbers?

Or do you mean the number which is called is the toll free number?

If the number you call is a toll free number, your phone number may be accessible to the party you called. (They are basically paying the cost of the call).

My bank uses that feature to identify you for security reasons. Last time I called HAL, they identified me by name and knew about my current booking. We have an unlisted number and caller id blocking.

If the number you call is a toll free number, your phone number may be accessible to the party you called. (They are basically paying the cost of the call).

My bank uses that feature to identify you for security reasons. Last time I called HAL, they identified me by name and knew about my current booking. We have an unlisted number and caller id blocking.

Thanks.

I just remembered the last time I called to tell my credit card company I would be making an unusual charge, they immediately commented they can see I was calling from a telephone number they had registered to my account.

I had forgotten about that.

The same thing happened to me today (not HAL, but a booking agency I use to book hotels). I was pleasantly surprised when she asked if I was ....... before I told her. :) It was nice that she had all my info at her fingertips.

Our local sandwich shop does that. They always ask me if I still want the extra mayo. It makes it easy. :p

But, but.....half the fun is telling your story to the agent ! If they already know what you're calling about, it takes the fun out of the whole endeavor. :)

Edited by Boatdrill

Yesterday I looked st Seattle hotels online. Today my computer was loaded with ads for Seattle hotels, car rental companies and a cruise line. Big Brother is alive and well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But, but.....half the fun is telling your story to the agent ! If they already know what you're calling about, it takes the fun out of the whole endeavor. :)

The least amount of time I have to spend on the phone with reps from any company, the happier I will be. :) So many of them are so wrong so much of the time, I sometimes think why bother.

Why would they not know what we spend? Hard to get those mariner credits for spending if they don't know what you spend, isn't it? That's got nothing to do with technology - retailers and other vendors have known their good customers and what they spend since before the horse and buggy days. All technology does is make it easier to track.

When a company has thousands of employees the company will gather & provide as much "penitent" information as possible to its employees when dealing with a said customer for the best experience of the employee and the customer.

Predictive analytic programs leverage what has been done when against what will be done and when, information gathered from itself and business partners. It enhances customer experience & business profits/revenue.

When there was 1 man selling you a horse/buggy, it was easy for that 1 man shop to do what the PAP does for thousands of employees/companies.