If Oasis goes to Japan what are possible itineraries to get there?

I've seen some blogs mention an Oasis class is heading for Asia / Japan in 2018. If that were to happen I'm curious what the itinerary would be. Suez Canal? Or around the horn and pacific? Or??

I'm more just curious to the what if logistics and potential itineraries; similar to the 3 segment 53 day trip Quantum made to China or different bc of size or geopolitical hotspots?? It would surely be a unique voyage

I'm more just curious to the what if logistics and potential itineraries; similar to the 3 segment 53 day trip Quantum made to China or different bc of size or geopolitical hotspots?? It would surely be a unique voyage

I hope Cheng or someone with technical knowledge can chime in on this, but I don't think Oasis Class can fit through either the new Panama Canal nor the Suez. So imo Oasis IV comes to Florida and Asia gets the hand-me-down of the class (ie. like Legend, Radiance, Voyager... the oldest of those classes).

So Oasis from Florida would mean around the horn I guess. What ports could she fit in to? And I think like the Mariner repo from LA a few years back there will be plenty of sea days and not so many ports (to get her around faster). Will be interesting if it actually happens. Some stops (If she fits) would have to be Rio, Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, Lima, PV, LA, Honolulu

Edited by Hoopster95

Oasis class could go through the Suez except for the air draft because of the Suez Canal Bridge. If you were building a new ship of this class then you could take that into account and provide a mechanism to temporarily reduce the height of the exhausts.

Having said that the South American route would be awesome.

Oasis class could go through the Suez except for the air draft because of the Suez Canal Bridge. If you were building a new ship of this class then you could take that into account and provide a mechanism to temporarily reduce the height of the exhausts.

I thought the existing Oasis Class had that feature:confused:

I was reading that a lot of shipping is now taking the longer route around the horn rather than through the Suez canal. They say that it is cheaper to use the extra fuel (with fuel prices as they are at the moment) than pay the exorbitant fees that the Egyptians are charging to transit the Suez..

I thought the existing Oasis Class had that feature:confused:

Both the Oasis and Allure had retractable funnels, but the ones on the Anthem were permanently fixed shortly after the maiden voyage. Problems with the Oasis' funnels causing soot problems and a lot of maintenance has caused Oasis to basically let the funnels "soot themselves in place", so they probably no longer retract. This kind of thing really doesn't pay for itself, and I'm not sure whether the new Oasis class will just fit funnel extensions at a shipyard after passing the Oresund bridge.

I was reading that a lot of shipping is now taking the longer route around the horn rather than through the Suez canal. They say that it is cheaper to use the extra fuel (with fuel prices as they are at the moment) than pay the exorbitant fees that the Egyptians are charging to transit the Suez..

The ships have gone to "slow steaming" to reduce fuel consumption, so urgent shipments have surcharges added, and the customers have gone to more relaxed shipping schedules. This slow steaming, with the reduced fuel consumption per mile, more than any rise in Suez tariff, is the driving force behind the move away from the Canal. This started even when fuel was at a higher price, since the slow steaming is more efficient.

Both the Oasis and Allure had retractable funnels, but the ones on the Anthem were permanently fixed shortly after the maiden voyage. Problems with the Oasis' funnels causing soot problems and a lot of maintenance has caused Oasis to basically let the funnels "soot themselves in place", so they probably no longer retract. This kind of thing really doesn't pay for itself, and I'm not sure whether the new Oasis class will just fit funnel extensions at a shipyard after passing the Oresund bridge.

The new Oasis class is being built at STX France, at Saint-Naizaire, so they don't have to worry about any pesky bridges between them and the ocean... ie no retractable funnels on Harmony or Oasis 4? :)

The new Oasis class is being built at STX France, at Saint-Naizaire, so they don't have to worry about any pesky bridges between them and the ocean... ie no retractable funnels on Harmony or Oasis 4? :)

Forgot about that. You're right, they won't bother on these ships, and that means the route would be Good Hope. After the thrashing RCI got about the Anthem, I cannot see them ever sending a ship around Cape Horn.

Forgot about that. You're right, they won't bother on these ships, and that means the route would be Good Hope. After the thrashing RCI got about the Anthem, I cannot see them ever sending a ship around Cape Horn.

Rhapsody is on a cruise around Cape Horn this week.

Rhapsody is on a cruise around Cape Horn this week.

So, I'm wrong again. Greatly surprised that I haven't heard any "who made that decision" threads. The Horn has its good days, but they are few and far between, and no way to forecast, and like the little girl with the curl, when she is bad, she is very, very bad.

Also, just checked. St. Nazaire to Shanghai is 16k miles via the Horn, and 13k miles via Good Hope.

Edited by chengkp75