Slight Gadtro Outbreak on Riviera

kitty9

Our butler just told us that there are 2 reported Gastro cases, so they are being very proactive. We guessed something was going on because the tables in the buffet and Waves were sticky, which means they were using the disinfectant. So far, no special action as far as "codes".

Our butler just told us that there are 2 reported Gastro cases, so they are being very proactive. We guessed something was going on because the tables in the buffet and Waves were sticky, which means they were using the disinfectant. So far, no special action as far as "codes".

Honestly, I wonder if they just have some passengers eating very rich food that they aren't accustomed to having on a frequent basis. I know I sometimes experience those symptoms when I have something out of the norm of my usual diet. Of course clearly that's not the case when you have 10% of the passengers ill, but for two people, I won't immediately think the worst. Good thing the crew is being proactive, though.

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, Regent's Mariner just went Code Red again today. There were two or three people yesterday with gastroenteritis and nine total today. It seems that both sister ships are having difficulty.

When I saw the typo in the title I thought this was some new and exotic tropical disease!

I agree that sometimes a change in diet can have 'consequences'.

I think you may be right on that. The average age on here is at least 75 and rich food does affect them.

Sorry about the typo. Damn auto correct.

Two cases do not require an alert and no mention here,:rolleyes:

Right. 2 people sick out of 1200. Sorry for those people but can't make a federal case out of it. Lets not cry wolf and worry people.

Well, excuse me for living and posting. If you don't like a thread, skip it. FYI, the crew is in special cleaning procedures with many carrying buckets and cleaning every surface with special products. Staff is standing outside every public room by the hand sanitizers and making everyone use it. So, they are obviously concerned.

I'm so sorry that you will have to go through this, kitty9. :(

On a lighter note... my pregnant daughter was concerned DH and I could pass either Zika or Noro on to she and her family after our 2/12 cruise. She would not see us until we had been home at least a week. So on Sunday, I was finally allowed to see my almost 3 year old grandson and his parents. He wasn't feeling well, so we took him to Urgent Care where there were many sick kids and adults in the waiting room. Grandson has the flu (after doing a nasal test). Now I am waiting to see if I get the flu or anything else that was being passed around in that waiting room. Ironic! :D

Edited by Iamthesea

Well, excuse me for living and posting. If you don't like a thread, skip it. FYI, the crew is in special cleaning procedures with many carrying buckets and cleaning every surface with special products. Staff is standing outside every public room by the hand sanitizers and making everyone use it. So, they are obviously concerned.

Thanks for keeping us informed. As I mentioned above, a Regent ship tripled the number of cases from yesterday to today (now Code Red). I believe that most of us are very interested in learning what is going on. It also sounds as if you are taking this in your stride (kitties tend to do that;) )

oh NO not again

Thanks for keeping us informed. As I mentioned above, a Regent ship tripled the number of cases from yesterday to today (now Code Red). I believe that most of us are very interested in learning what is going on. It also sounds as if you are taking this in your stride (kitties tend to do that;) )

Travelcat2, thanks for the info. We are set to embark Riviera on April 11th, so I am concerned about Noro. Senior citizens, our immune systems are withstanding Spring Break here on South Beach and the other vicissitudes of a world class resort, so far.

Hopefully, the ill people are just hung over from too much lobster. The biscotti in Tuscana can be my gastronomic downfall.

Mary

It is a free world, so you can post anything you like, but lets not make this into the " world is coming to an end" again. I was on the 2/12 cruise and lived thru about 5 days of heavy cleaning. Does not sound like this is what is taking place now. Lets not scare people at this point. Lets take a breadth and see how it shakes out.

Kitty,

Regarding the Noro outbreak or whatever it is, from my experience, everyone you ask will give you a different answer....that especially includes the front desk. I'm willing to make a big bet that it's more than 2 people but they don't want to give that info out. O was horrible conveying information on my last cruise.

Kitty,

Regarding the Noro outbreak or whatever it is, from my experience, everyone you ask will give you a different answer....that especially includes the front desk. I'm willing to make a big bet that it's more than 2 people but they don't want to give that info out. O was horrible conveying information on my last cruise.

O.K.Lets wait and see....

My goodness

Oceania gets in trouble for not communicating or doing enough soon enough now they are communicating & cleaning protocols started

they are in a lose lose scenario

:eek:

Darcie thanks for the update ...keep healthy

Let's hope it is just a few cases of over indulgence

Lyn

Thank you Kitty for your post. We are boarding Riviera on March 13th and are very interested in the health status of your cruise. I hope whatever it is, is contained at this point. Please keep us informed if you can. Be well.

Two cases do not require an alert and no mention here,:rolleyes:

Right. 2 people sick out of 1200. Sorry for those people but can't make a federal case out of it. Lets not cry wolf and worry people.

I read this as a report on how proactive the crew were being to avoid an outbreak. In the light of recent events I thought this was a positive post. No one is crying wolf, or even making a lot of fuss.

Thanks for the information Kitty9. I am with Wren3, we board when your cruise ends. Please keep us posted. No one is required to read the thread. I am interested. I don't need anyone's help to determine if the information is worth mentioning. I would like to read the experience or opinion of anyone who wants to post. I can decide for myself if it is useful. Keep the updates coming!

As long time criusers and a microbiologist we are very proactive on cruise ship hygiene. Given Riviera's recent two outbreaks I came well prepared - Clorox wipes, Lysol spray ,N95 masks, and nitrile gloves. Wife and I deconed the stateroom first hour on board. On day one of the cruise during embarkation I was concerned on lack of hand sanitation emphasis by crew. I immediately went to the front desk reception manager identified myself as professional microbiologist and emphasized the need to step up the game game on staff dispensing sanitizer at the various food venues. No one addressed my concern . So we are now into day 7 with another GI infection outbreak . So far Noro has not been confirmef, but some passengers are ill with a GI bug. Exact number not confirmed. Day 7 is first I've seen on hand rail and wall sanitation. The ship demographic is very advanced geriatric which is the potential root cause with lack of good bathroom hygiene. Staff seems short and morale low from over work last two outbreaks. Officers are stealth no where to be seen. We are Celebrity regulars and have never seen this lack of attention. Last time for Oceania seems NCL Holdings has taken effect on sub-standard protocols. It's NCL no surprise. Last time for us.

I read this as a report on how proactive the crew were being to avoid an outbreak. In the light of recent events I thought this was a positive post. No one is crying wolf, or even making a lot of fuss.

I agree - If I was about to board this ship, I feel knowing what's going on ahead of time would help me be better prepared.

I think it is wrong to blame NCLH for whatever is going on on the ship with regard to hygiene. NCL is very strict with spraying your hands. I would suggest the HM along with the Dr. Monitor the day to day operation in this regard.

I wonder if cleaning supplies (cloths, etc) are routinely used for one room only, or if they carry on to the next cabin. This is obviously a sure fire cross contamination, and after seeing a TV show on how this happens in hotels, I am extra concerned. This would mean you have to decontaminate your room every day!

Also washroom attendants seem like a good idea at the first hint of problems(or always) but that doesn't address what goes on in the cabin...

I'm even in favour of a bottle of hand sanitizer on each table in restaurants...once seated and waiting, people see it and might THINK about what it means!